Should I Liquid Cool my PC in a tropical climate?

amsga

Hi All,

I am new to the forum so bear with me for asking stupid questions.

I occasionally watch YouTube videos on component reviews and notice that they talk about ambient temperature of about 20C/68F. 

I live in the tropics where the average temperature is usually greater than 32C/90F all year round.

I was wondering if liquid cooling my PC would give me any benefit compared to air cooled parts.

This is all assuming that I do not do any form of overclocking other than factory overclocks by manufacturers.

My plan for my next build would include a Ryzen 7 3700X and a Radeon RX 5700, if that helps.

yes it will be adventageous for you to water cool, because in warmer climates you are just pushing around warm/hot air over top of something you want to cool down.

It's not a simple answer as there are many different variables. If you have no intention of overclocking yourself then a good HSF (heat sink fan) or AIO (all in one) liquid cooler would be more than sufficient for your 3700X. 

The ambient temperature doesn't matter.

An air cooler that performs better than a liquid cooler at 20C will perform the exact same amount better at 30C.

Air vs water completely depends on what air cooler or water cooler you're comparing, so go look at reviews.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Currently I don't have a good air flow setup as my room is quite cramp.

My PC is just beneath my table with about 30cm/1ft clearance all around.

1 hour ago, amsga said:

Currently I don't have a good air flow setup as my room is quite cramp.

My PC is just beneath my table with about 30cm/1ft clearance all around.

is it enclosed in a box

or is the box open on one side

or is it a tunnel, with 2 open sides at either end

Ambient temperature doesn't matter for CPU cooling. 

It matters like when LTT is attempting to measure distinct changes in tempatures, but for you or I it doesn't matter at all. 

That said liquid will give you better cooling overall, regardless.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

3 hours ago, amsga said:

Hi All,

I am new to the forum so bear with me for asking stupid questions.

I occasionally watch YouTube videos on component reviews and notice that they talk about ambient temperature of about 20C/68F. 

I live in the tropics where the average temperature is usually greater than 32C/90F all year round.

I was wondering if liquid cooling my PC would give me any benefit compared to air cooled parts.

This is all assuming that I do not do any form of overclocking other than factory overclocks by manufacturers.

My plan for my next build would include a Ryzen 7 3700X and a Radeon RX 5700, if that helps.

If youre not overclocking you don't need anything but a basic aircooler.  Max CPU temperature is linear to ambient temperature ie.  if the max is 80C at 20C ambient it would be 90C at 30C ambient. 

The only benefit to watercooling in your case would be increasing total surface area so you could run larger fans slower ... less noise overall.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 11/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, amdorintel said:

is it enclosed in a box

or is the box open on one side

or is it a tunnel, with 2 open sides at either end

Sort of like a tunnel I guess.

Side of the PC case is against the wall.

So the only good air flow is front, back and the other side.

Top is just blowing against the bottom of the table.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

If youre not overclocking you don't need anything but a basic aircooler.  Max CPU temperature is linear to ambient temperature ie.  if the max is 80C at 20C ambient it would be 90C at 30C ambient. 

The only benefit to watercooling in your case would be increasing total surface area so you could run larger fans slower ... less noise overall.

So I guess the main take away is that stock is adequate in my situation.

And that either air cooling or liquid cooling will not matter as much as the actual performance of the cooler itself.

5 hours ago, amsga said:

So I guess the main take away is that stock is adequate in my situation.

And that either air cooling or liquid cooling will not matter as much as the actual performance of the cooler itself.

Correct.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Go liquid. My room is often 32+ as well. Water cooling is much easier.

Of note I have a Noctua NH-D15 and while that's ok just for CPU cooling once you add a hot GPU temps start to rise. Sure I could keep them down a bit more with a whole lot of fans blasting full noise all the time but I don't wan't my case to be as loud as my music.

Since I've installed water cooling I can run my 8700 & 1080ti all day, in silence, without them thermal throttling. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.