Advice/recommendation for a new headset

CTR640

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a new headset that has really good sounds quality and one I can use with my PC, phone, PSVita, for everything so all-round headset. The uses are for watching movies, games, music and Netflix.

I have tried the Sony WH-1000MX3 but its sounds are horrible when it's connected with the audiocable so it's very important it's wired. At the moment the Audeze Mobius has caught my attention and would like to get it but for now needing some recommendations and or advice. I also heard Pioneer is good? I have no desire for ANC or NC (noise cancellation) or any other fancy wireless features that will not work on PC and my other devices. I live in the Netherlands and max I want to spend is €400.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a new headset that has really good sounds quality and one I can use with my PC, phone, PSVita, for everything so all-round headset. The uses are for watching movies, games, music and Netflix.

I have tried the Sony WH-1000MX3 but its sounds are horrible when it's connected with the audiocable so it's very important it's wired. At the moment the Audeze Mobius has caught my attention and would like to get it but for now needing some recommendations and or advice. I also heard Pioneer is good? I have no desire for ANC or NC (noise cancellation) or any other fancy wireless features that will not work on PC and my other devices. I live in the Netherlands and max I want to spend is €400.

Audeze Mobius is great but their is some noticable latency due to the age of codec it uses. I would like to say look into the beyerdynamic custom one pro plus or custom game if you want a headset or a HD 58x if you like open back 

8 hours ago, rice guru said:

Audeze Mobius is great but their is some noticable latency due to the age of codec it uses. I would like to say look into the beyerdynamic custom one pro plus or custom game if you want a headset or a HD 58x if you like open back 

Really? Which codec that causes the latency and is it that serious? I'll search for more info on the other headsets.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Really? Which codec that causes the latency and is it that serious? I'll search for more info on the other headsets.

Literally any codec besides aptx low latency

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Literally any codec besides aptx low latency

And what if wired? 

DAC/AMPs:

wired no latency but doesnt soundasgood as if ot waswireless or if you got other headphones that were wired in the first place if ou want a similar feelingto the mobious where it tracks your head movement a nxheadtrackeratached to a good headphone does the same thing

13 minutes ago, rice guru said:

wired no latency but doesnt soundasgood as if ot waswireless or if you got other headphones that were wired in the first place if ou want a similar feelingto the mobious where it tracks your head movement a nxheadtrackeratached to a good headphone does the same thing

For my uses wired is required. I have no use for aptx and any other wireless features. 

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

For my uses wired is required. I have no use for aptx and any other wireless features. 

then ignore the mobius you can get bettersound quality for the money getting a good budget dac/amp and a nice headphone

For a dac /amp my recc is a fiio k5pro and should have enough power to run my all rounder headphone reccs: HD 58x, he4xx,dt880, akg k371

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

then ignore the mobius you can get bettersound quality for the money getting a good budget dac/amp and a nice headphone

Alright, then Mobius is off the list. Any reason why to ignore? Curious about it.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

For a dac /amp my recc is a fiio k5pro and should have enough power to run my all rounder headphone reccs: HD 58x, he4xx,dt880, akg k371

The DAC/AMP works for PC too too? The motherboard audiojack will be replaced once the DAC/AMP device is plugged in?

Which of those headphones has balanced sounds for lows and highs? It'd be annoying if bass is too strong.

-edit-

I've looked for the Fiio K5pro and I don't that will be much use for me :P A bit too much.

DAC/AMPs:

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

Alright, then Mobius is off the list. Any reason why to ignore? Curious about it.

The DAC/AMP works for PC too too? The motherboard audiojack will be replaced once the DAC/AMP device is plugged in?

Which of those headphones has balanced sounds for lows and highs? It'd be annoying if bass is too strong.

-edit-

I've looked for the Fiio K5pro and I don't that will be much use for me :P A bit too much.

the mobius just isnt as good as otherwired headphones and wireless headphones genereally dont sound too great plugged in. all the headphones I reccomended are somewhat neutral great for most kinds of music and great for gaming. if you are not willing to get a dac/ amp  I would point yuopu towards the hd 58x or the akg k371

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the mobius just isnt as good as otherwired headphones and wireless headphones genereally dont sound too great plugged in. all the headphones I reccomended are somewhat neutral great for most kinds of music and great for gaming. if you are not willing to get a dac/ amp  I would point yuopu towards the hd 58x or the akg k371

Understood. There are other USB DAC/AMP, right? Like the Sharkoon Pro S and AudioQuest Dragonfly?

And what does 'open' headphones mean? They leak sounds?

DAC/AMPs:

10 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Understood. There are other USB DAC/AMP, right? Like the Sharkoon Pro S and AudioQuest Dragonfly?

And what does 'open' headphones mean? They leak sounds?

Yes but sounds tend to sound more natural and open . And yes there are other options  like the dragonfly. But it's really pricey if you can afford a dragonfly might as well get a fiio

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

Yes but sounds tend to sound more natural and open . And yes there are other options  like the dragonfly. But it's really pricey if you can afford a dragonfly might as well get a fiio

There are other versions of the Dragonfly and I'm not planning on getting the expensive version. Here the Dragonfly Black is €80. But I don't really think that has priority so it's not in the list. The Fiio is too complex and too much for what I need.

DAC/AMPs:

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

There are other versions of the Dragonfly and I'm not planning on getting the expensive version. Here the Dragonfly Black is €80. But I don't really think that has priority so it's not in the list. The Fiio is too complex and too much for what I need.

What's complex about it? It does the same job as a dragonfly just has a volume knob 

27 minutes ago, rice guru said:

What's complex about it? It does the same job as a dragonfly just has a volume knob 

I'd like it to take it simple :P

But after finding more pictures of it, it looks pretty interesting. The only one thing why I wanted a usb version is because of the simplicity, take it and store it anyway and no need for power adapter. But I am open for the Fiio K5pro.

I looked for the DT880 and there seem to be different version, 32ohm, 250 and 600? And I can find only the Pro version. And is this from 2012??  Aren't open or semi-open headphones disturbing for the others? I mean, I do play GTA and NFS pretty much and movies. But fck it, recommend me the best ones with best audio :P

Which ones with and without DAC/AMP?

DAC/AMPs:

43 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I'd like it to take it simple :P

But after finding more pictures of it, it looks pretty interesting. The only one thing why I wanted a usb version is because of the simplicity, take it and store it anyway and no need for power adapter. But I am open for the Fiio K5pro.

I looked for the DT880 and there seem to be different version, 32ohm, 250 and 600? And I can find only the Pro version. And is this from 2012??  Aren't open or semi-open headphones disturbing for the others? I mean, I do play GTA and NFS pretty much and movies. But fck it, recommend me the best ones with best audio :P

Which ones with and without DAC/AMP?

They aren't very good if you plan on travelling with them I only reccomend open and semi open headphones for people who want to use them inside and never leave or outside just chilling on a muskoka chair not something to travel with. DT 880 are actually fairly old but I assure you they are some of the best and used to be much more expensive. Don't judge a headphone by the age. If you plan on leaving the house with the headphones i recc grab the akg instead

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

They aren't very good if you plan on travelling with them I only reccomend open and semi open headphones for people who want to use them inside and never leave or outside just chilling on a muskoka chair not something to travel with. DT 880 are actually fairly old but I assure you they are some of the best and used to be much more expensive. Don't judge a headphone by the age. If you plan on leaving the house with the headphones i recc grab the akg instead

No problem. I have the Marshall Mid for inside and outside so if I ever gonna use a headset outside, the Marshall it is.

It's this one for always inside?:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/beyerdynamic_dt_880_pro_black_edition.htm

I don't like the grey version :P

I'm pretty surprised they are not discontinued. Other headphones from 2012 are usually discontinued. I also have the Sony MDR-E 818LP too from 2008 but once I have the headset, I no longer like the in-ear.

DAC/AMPs:

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

No problem. I have the Marshall Mid for inside and outside so if I ever gonna use a headset outside, the Marshall it is.

It's this one for always inside?:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/beyerdynamic_dt_880_pro_black_edition.htm

I don't like the grey version :P

I'm pretty surprised they are not discontinued. Other headphones from 2012 are usually discontinued. I also have the Sony MDR-E 818LP too from 2008 but once I have the headset, I no longer like the in-ear.

yep thats the one you can take it outside but probably wont get too loud off you phone thats why I reccomend the fiiok5 pro because those should provide enough juice to power them loud. you would be surprisedyou can trace the dt990, 880, 770 all way back to the 90's maybe the 80's they dont need to change them all they do is improve build quality maybe adda fewcolor ways and change the design a little bit over time and make manufaturing a little cheaper because they are so good and dont need to be improved. 

15 minutes ago, rice guru said:

yep thats the one you can take it outside but probably wont get too loud off you phone thats why I reccomend the fiiok5 pro because those should provide enough juice to power them loud. you would be surprisedyou can trace the dt990, 880, 770 all way back to the 90's maybe the 80's they dont need to change them all they do is improve build quality maybe adda fewcolor ways and change the design a little bit over time and make manufaturing a little cheaper because they are so good and dont need to be improved. 

Nah, it's fine. I don't take my headphones and earphones outside at all. Except when I'm on vacation but once in like 5 years or so.

No wonder why the onboard audio sucks :/ I got the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming and my Marshall headphone is not loud at all! The volume is too low and had to use the MSI Sounds Manager audio app to tune it up.

DT880 it is then. Thanks a lot for your explanation and advice, appreciate it!

One last thing, what are the Ohm all about? There are different versions like the 32Ohm and 250Ohm.

DAC/AMPs:

18 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Nah, it's fine. I don't take my headphones and earphones outside at all. Except when I'm on vacation but once in like 5 years or so.

No wonder why the onboard audio sucks :/ I got the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming and my Marshall headphone is not loud at all! The volume is too low and had to use the MSI Sounds Manager audio app to tune it up.

DT880 it is then. Thanks a lot for your explanation and advice, appreciate it!

One last thing, what are the Ohm all about? There are different versions like the 32Ohm and 250Ohm.

So ohm otherwise referred to as impedance is a rating based on the electronics inside. The higher the impedance the harder to drive. It basically refers to how much power it takes to make the drivers move and vibrate the higher the impedance the harder the amp has to work but the driver moves back to the original position faster. Which leads to tighter bass and most of the time an overall improvement in sound quality. A lot of audiophiles will purposely buy higher impedance version of a headphone because it scales better with their gear such as high output impedance tube amps.

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

So ohm otherwise referred to as impedance is a rating based on the electronics inside. The higher the impedance the harder to drive. It basically refers to how much power it takes to make the drivers move and vibrate the higher the impedance the harder the amp has to work but the driver moves back to the original position faster. Which leads to tighter bass and most of the time an overall improvement in sound quality. A lot of audiophiles will purposely buy higher impedance version of a headphone because it scales better with their gear such as high output impedance tube amps.

Which would you recommend for all-round use like for pc, phones, PSVita and other mobile devices? 32 or 250? Though I use the headphone for pc everytime and the mobile devices like once in a few whiles so I guess the 250?

DAC/AMPs:

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Which would you recommend for all-round use like for pc, phones, PSVita and other mobile devices? 32 or 250? Though I use the headphone for pc everytime and the mobile devices like once in a few whiles so I guess the 250?

32 if you do it often if once in a while 250 ohm and would grab a cheap earbud for the other use cases  bacause 250 ohm will work just won't get loud like at all. I have the DT 990 250 ohm and plugged it into most sources I own

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

32 if you do it often if once in a while 250 ohm and would grab a cheap earbud for the other use cases  bacause 250 ohm will work just won't get loud like at all. I have the DT 990 250 ohm and plugged it into most sources I own

Good idea to grab just a cheap earbud. It just beats me why they even bother to make a 32 ohm one.

I think I'll grab the DT880pro 250 ohm then.

DAC/AMPs:

8 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Good idea to grab just a cheap earbud. It just beats me why they even bother to make a 32 ohm one.

I think I'll grab the DT880pro 250 ohm then.

they do it for the people that really want to run off their phones . they are tuned well enough that they sound great just not as good.  if you need a good earbud I would reccomend the tin t2 very flat sound signature and every reviewer seems to like them. I like a lot of color in my headphones so personally not the biggest fan of it.  and can be found for $30 in sales pretty often off sites like ali express.  also just a reminder I only really reccomend buying the 250 ohm version if you are also buying a DAc/amp to go along with it