Unsure about case fans and motherboard compatability!

ZxFragz
Go to solution Solved by ZxFragz,
5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

A perfect example on why NOT to trust amazon reviews, because most of them dont know what they're talking about or dont explain it correctly.

TL;DR. Your setup will work if you plug it into the right header, reasons below.

Spoiler

For some quick Electrical science, the 12V "RGB" uses a 4 pin connector that for the most part has been agreed upon by the main motherboard manufacturers as the standard. The 5V Digital/Addressible (whichever you wanna call it) "ARGB" uses a 3 pin connector (this is either in the same size connector as the 4 pin, but with one of the middle pins omited, or a smaller body used usually on older Gigabyte boards specifically) which can NOT be plugged into a 12V RGB connector. The Amazon commenter was correct on that, but what he was factually wrong about is that most fans with LED lighting are ARGB/5V fans. There are a PLETHORA of fans that are RGB/12V which will work with this motherboard just fine, and to assume that the fans are ARGB is an oversight on their part.

Image result for 4 pin RGB header

Some older gigabyte boards:

Note that in this example, the 4 pin body actually has one of the pin holes omited, which is GOOD. this means you cant accidentally plug this into a 12V header and, in the commenter's terms, "Fry" your LED's. 

Now natively your fans come with an RGB controller with a RF remote to control the RGB, but it also should have the ARGB/5V connector according to the listing, which allows you to plug it into an ARGB header on your motherboard. Your board clearly lists an addressable ARGB/5V header, so as long as you plug the controller into that port you should be able to control your fan lighting no problem. 

https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=806

image.png.90b5a27c73511f11dfa9f92984884105.png

Thank you immensely. Very informative and has cleared up the confusion for me.

Well. My problem starts with an amazon review stating that the motherboard I am using for my first build (Auros B450 Elite) pumps out to much voltage and will fry the L. E. Ds on any rgb case fan I connect to it. The case I am looking to buy is the "CiT raider" case (pretty sure its a knock-off Kolink Observatory) and has four on board rgb fans. The motherboard is said to have four "Hybrid Fan Headers" which to me means nothing. 

Bottom line is:

1. Will they fry my fans directly into the Mobo?

2. Do I need a fan hub of some kind? 

3. Can you experienced builders shine some light on this? 

Case:CiT Raider PC Gaming Case, Mid-Tower ATX, Halo Dual - Ring Spectrum Fans, RGB, PCB Hub w/ Aura Connectivity, RF Controller, MB Sync, Tempered Glass, For a Great Gaming Experience | Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4GRTQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ctW0DbRPZ12SN

Mobo:Aorus B450 AORUS ELITE (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GYRW53K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OtW0Db8F8QBFB

Kindest regards. 

Fragz. 

4 minutes ago, ZxFragz said:

My problem starts with an amazon review stating that the motherboard I am using for my first build (Auros B450 Elite) pumps out to much voltage and will fry the L. E. Ds on any rgb case fan I connect to it.

wot

can't say I've ever heard this happening, but I can assure you that amazon reviews are not to be trusted.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'd ignore the statement about this board pushing out too much voltage. You wont need any additional hardware. Case comes with a fan hub and is controlled by a remote so you're covered.

For clarity, here is the post that prompted my confusion (top one). 

Screenshot_20191118_211649_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

18 hours ago, ZxFragz said:

For clarity, here is the post that prompted my confusion (top one). 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20191118_211649_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

A perfect example on why NOT to trust amazon reviews, because most of them dont know what they're talking about or dont explain it correctly.

TL;DR. Your setup will work if you plug it into the right header, reasons below.

For some quick Electrical science, the 12V "RGB" uses a 4 pin connector that for the most part has been agreed upon by the main motherboard manufacturers as the standard. The 5V Digital/Addressible (whichever you wanna call it) "ARGB" uses a 3 pin connector (this is either in the same size connector as the 4 pin, but with one of the middle pins omited, or a smaller body used usually on older Gigabyte boards specifically) which can NOT be plugged into a 12V RGB connector. The Amazon commenter was correct on that, but what he was factually wrong about is that most fans with LED lighting are ARGB/5V fans. There are a PLETHORA of fans that are RGB/12V which will work with this motherboard just fine, and to assume that the fans are ARGB is an oversight on their part.

Note that in this example, the 4 pin body actually has one of the pin holes omited, which is GOOD. this means you cant accidentally plug this into a 12V header and, in the commenter's terms, "Fry" your LED's. 

Now natively your fans come with an RGB controller with a RF remote to control the RGB, but it also should have the ARGB/5V connector according to the listing, which allows you to plug it into an ARGB header on your motherboard. Your board clearly lists an addressable ARGB/5V header, so as long as you plug the controller into that port you should be able to control your fan lighting no problem. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Spoiler

Thank you immensely. Very informative and has cleared up the confusion for me.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:53 AM, TVwazhere said:
Spoiler

Okay so I got the case and instead of the addressable 5v header I connected it via molex to the psu. It seems to be working fine but are there any disadvantages to not having it directly into the Mobo? 

Fragz

On 11/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, ZxFragz said:

Okay so I got the case and instead of the addressable 5v header I connected it via molex to the psu. It seems to be working fine but are there any disadvantages to not having it directly into the Mobo? 

Fragz

The disadvantage is you cannot control the ARGB lighting via the motherboard or it's software, so if you have any other lighting setups in your computer such as additional fans, a GPU heatsink, RGB ram or anything else, they will not be in sync with eachother. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 11/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, TVwazhere said:

The disadvantage is you cannot control the ARGB lighting via the motherboard or it's software, so if you have any other lighting setups in your computer such as additional fans, a GPU heatsink, RGB ram or anything else, they will not be in sync with eachother. 

I figured that thank you, if I was connecting it to my Mobo through the 5v addressable header, would I not need the molex cable? 

Secondly, I built a friend's pc today with him and we could get the rgb fans on and spinning with them connected directly to the power supply however the remote that came with it would not work. Is this a case of it not being in the Mobo directly or just a faulty remote? 

2 minutes ago, ZxFragz said:

I figured that thank you, if I was connecting it to my Mobo through the 5v addressable header, would I not need the molex cable? 

Correct.

2 minutes ago, ZxFragz said:

Secondly, I built a friend's pc today with him and we could get the rgb fans on and spinning with them connected directly to the power supply however the remote that came with it would not work. Is this a case of it not being in the Mobo directly or just a faulty remote? 

Possibly, but probably not. From what I've seen there's two types of remotes that come with these kits, InfraRed (IR) and Radio Frequency (RF). With Infrared, the remote has a bulb on the end of it that shoots an infra red beat at a sensor in the case. If your remote isnt pointed at the sensor, or if the sensor is blocked by something, then it wont work (much like a TV remote).

As you can see how annoying that would be considering most receivers are going to be stashed somewhere discrete and out of site, most remotes are designs to be RF, which do not need line of sight to operate. Assuming you have an RF remote (which will not have a bulb at the end of it) check the battery in the remote. Sometimes they have a piece of paper in between some terminals to prevent draining. If they dont have something in between the battery and terminals, check to see if the battery is any good.