Agruments against Right to Repair?

GigabitXe

I am working on an assignment for my speech class, and I have to write a persuasive speech. The topic I have chosen is the right to repair movement, and while I personally support this, for the purposes of the assignment I must argue for the other side. That means I have to write a speech persuading people NOT to support the right to repair movement. Do you have any arguments against right to repair? Please note that I am not trying to slack on my research. I just want to gather the personal opinions of other people to better understand my target audience.

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

manufacturers are more capable of providing maintenance services in a very closed ecosystem. It's far simpler to have no chance of user interference, requiring more in depth repairs or potentially replacing more parts than otherwise needed (although this isn't always true, e.g. apple replacing a whole motherboard for a broken video cable)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

manufacturers are more capable of providing maintenance services in a very closed ecosystem. It's far simpler to have no chance of user interference, requiring more in depth repairs or potentially replacing more parts than otherwise needed (although this isn't always true, e.g. apple replacing a whole motherboard for a broken video cable)

So you are basically saying that it is logistically easier for manufactures to make repairs, since there would be no chance of users messing things up?

Wouldn't they have to provide the diagram for the device, thus making it easier to copy?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, GigabitXe said:

So you are basically saying that it is logistically easier for manufactures to make repairs, since there would be no chance of users messing things up?

More or less. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

In order to make a device "repairable" engineering shortcuts and sacrifices have to be made.

It's a little thin, I know, but it's something.

Yeah schematics are intellectual property which manufacturers don't want to release, if it's public the competition can copy it easily.

Also yeah users can screw up repairs and then give more work to the manufacturer to fix it, or even blame it on them.

The amount of people capable of repairing advanced circuitry inside modern compact devices is also very low, like 0.0001% of the population.

A lot of legal trouble for little benefit.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

- Less sales, because users able to repair their devices might keep them around longer, instead of buying new.

- Repairing devices past a certain age might not be worth it to a company, because buying new might be cheaper, but a user isn't going to value their time the same way

- Less money from repairs, if users can just do it on their own

- The need to provide more in depth information about devices that you might not want to have public

- Users f*** up the repair, resulting in an image loss for the company, even though it's not their fault

- Users hurting or even killing themselves because stuff inside a machine isn't user friendly but suddenly has to be or at least should be

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

arguments against right to repair for whom?

the business ?

or the consumer ?

The consumer. Sorry I didn't mention that before. The speech will be targeted towards consumers to try and convince them to not support the movement.

1 minute ago, GigabitXe said:

The consumer. Sorry I didn't mention that before. The speech will be target towards consumers to try and convince them to not support the movement.

tesla

john deere

who else ?

those are the two that come to mind right away.

there are ways around it though, tesla fixers just buy scrapped cars, and people hack jd software

Just now, amdorintel said:

tesla

john deere

who else ?

those are the two that come to mind right away.

Apple

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Apple

ya that came to mind right after i posted because i watched that ny laptop repair guy, whats his name?

2 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

The consumer. Sorry I didn't mention that before. The speech will be target towards consumers to try and convince them to not support the movement.

That's difficult. Why would I, as a consumer, not want more rights? It's not like I'm forced to do repairs on my own from now on, but at least I have the option.

You could maybe make the argument that repairs and devices become more costly, because manufacturers now have to take steps to make devices user repairable. Plus they have to make their plans public, which requires additional work by lawyers yadayada to ensure no proprietary stuff is exposed etc.

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

ya that came to mind right after i posted because i watched that ny laptop repair guy, whats his name?

You're talking about Louis Rossman, I think :)

Just now, amdorintel said:

you have the choice to buy what you want to buy

I think you misunderstood my argument. I'm saying consumers aren't forced to repair their devices, so having the right to do it isn't a negative.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's difficult. Why would I, as a consumer, not want more rights? It's not like I'm forced to do repairs on my own from now on, but at least I have the option.

You could maybe make the argument that repairs and devices become more costly, because manufacturers now have to take steps to make devices user repairable. Plus they have to make their plans public, which requires additional work by lawyers yadayada to ensure no proprietary stuff is exposed etc.

That is a very good point and I will definitely take it into account as I continue to work.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is all very helpful!

14 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

Do you have any arguments against right to repair?

From the perspective of the manufacturer, right to repair seems feels like it should come with some other "baggage" that is not plainly stated. For example, honoring warranties. If a user wants to attempt to repair their own product or take it to some "expert," and the repair is botched up, should they be allowed to still send it to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement?

My worry with "right to repair" is in the age of the internet, it's easy for anyone to think they're an expert when they're really not.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

consumers

true dat, but there will always be a segment of a consumer base that wants to tinker for the sake of tinkering, another segment that is handy and wants to fix and learn.

what sux about john deere is, well a lot sux, but if any little thing breaks down they have to take it back 100's or 1000's of distance to stealership to get fixed. farmers cant afford, thats why big farm is winning

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

My worry with "right to repair" is in the age of the internet, it's easy for anyone to think they're an expert when they're really not.

how would you know or anyone know if they are an "expert" and how do you define an "expert"

because group knowledge is a powerful thing, especially with the internet age and forums where people can get together and exchange notes, info, exchange ideas.

2 minutes ago, GigabitXe said:

That is a very good point and I will definitely take it into account as I continue to work.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is all very helpful!

Another point (mainly Apple's, I think): Devices become thicker and more costly, because a device filled with glue isn't repairable, but thinner and/or cheaper to manufacture.

I mean the bottom line is that it cuts into potential profits in several ways. Reduced revenue stream from in house repairs, reduced revenue because devices can have extended life, and reduced revenue as it possibly might make it easier to copy products, that's a weaker argument because reverse engineering devices isn't a huge endeavor when they're 99% off the shelf components with stuff printed on them. Watch Big Clive reverse engineer a diagram for a device he's never seen before, it's not voodoo magic.

5 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

how would you know or anyone know if they are an "expert" and how do you define an "expert"

If I were to use a canned response, someone who has years (if you need a figure, I'd say 5+) of practical experience (by practical, they're constantly doing it) and knowledge regarding some subject.

because group knowledge is a powerful thing, especially with the internet age and forums where people can get together and exchange notes, info, exchange ideas.

The internet however, is full of misleading information and people who have little to no practical experience, despite appearing to be book smart. The internet is a powerful tool, when used correctly.