Can I put a Sapphire r9 290 cooler on a 5700 XT?

ailith

I got the sapphire vapour-x r9 290 that I replaced with the blower 5700 XT, and JayzTwoCents's video yesterday said "Don't do what I just did, just put the 290x cooler on it". Great idea, but that video is about the 5700 and he said 290x not 290. So, quick question before I even open my 5700 XT (because I'm failing to google this utterly, can't get relevant results) -- Will/can this work? As far as tools conceivably usable for computer jobs go I got a decent screwdriver kit, a dremel, and some thermal compound.

I did look at a teardown of the 5700 xt -- looks like the stock blower uses a few more screws -- but it looks like the important bits and holes should line up. Just wanting to sanity check before I walk into a project that could take hours and expose myself to the general risk of my own clumsiness. Tho, I just dug around and found that box of case kit stuff and it's got some washers that'll prolly fit, so I may be opening it up either way just to pop the washers on. 

If you feel confident that the cooler feels compatible, then go for it. My suggestion is if you get to a point where you feel that you're forcing something then I would stop. (I'm just restating common sense, but you'd be surprised of the stupid stuff I have done). 

Every electronic anything I've ever had has either died from my daft whims, or lived long enough to be forgotten in a move. 

I feel yeh. 

edit: Except headphones. Dang things just don't last longer than about 90 days, if yer lucky, when you wear them 16 hours a day. It is what it is, I just stick to under 30 bucks now. 

go for it, just make sure to share the result.

also be sure to quote us so we see your responses.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, ailith said:

edit: Except headphones. Dang things just don't last longer than about 90 days, if yer lucky, when you wear them 16 hours a day. It is what it is, I just stick to under 30 bucks now. 

Try the Sennheiser HD 400S. $70, but they are remarkably durable for their light weight and high quality of audio.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Well, I opened it up today and it took about 3 seconds of comparing them in real life to be like "Oh, wait, no, that's not gonna work." It's a similar hole layout, but different positioning. With a fair bit of modding it might be possible to make it happen, but my willingness to use the dremel was basically "I might add one hole to the cooler" not "Well I need like 5 holes and some clearance and etc." 

On the plus side, put on some thermal compound (arctic silver M-4) on cause I that thermal pad ripped anyway (all the rest were fine, just the GPU itself) and added those 4 washers aaand. . .well, it boots anyway, so I'm thinking I didn't break it. 

Looks like I didn't get a noteworthy improvement tho, either cause my thermal pad was a bit better than average, or cause I did a bit worse than average putting on the compound, maybe my washer are too thin, come to think, there could be a lot of reasons I didn't get an improvement on temps. But, actually playing RDR2 for like 15 minutes, tops out at 85c and it's always leveled off around there. But, three hours on this was fun, if pointless. Chasing down a real improvement from here would be time-consuming, frustrating, and also pointless :P. 

Oh, no, I meant earbuds - I do manual labor and also not allowed to have any kind of headphones, but long hair hides earbuds, especially these BT necklace things. 

For over-the-ear, my Audio Technica . . I don't remember what they're called, they're like 5 years old, cost a little over a 100 USD at the time? They're not the most amazing headphones ever obviously, but they're troopers still going and more than good enough for me. *checks* ATH-M50s according to Amazon, tho that listing points to new wireless ones I definitely don't have now,  the cost 123 USD at the time, and 5 years old last month.

@ailithGood to know that the cooler thing doesn't really work. Maybe look in undervolting if the noise and temperature are problems, you can sometimes get a dramatic reduction in power consumption without much performance lost, silicon lottery depending of course.

Just now, hsdjfh said:

@ailithGood to know that the cooler thing doesn't really work. Maybe look in undervolting if the noise and temperature are problems, you can sometimes get a dramatic reduction in power consumption without much performance lost, silicon lottery depending of course.

Well, I finally found the thing people were talking about -- honestly, if I'd found this yesterday I mighta guessed "Hey, you see the difference between what he did an that Sapphire Vapor-x cooler you have, right? I mean, the 5700xt board doesn't even have enough power connections for the Sapphire cooler" 

6 minutes ago, ailith said:

Oh, no, I meant earbuds - I do manual labor and also not allowed to have any kind of headphones, but long hair hides earbuds, especially these BT necklace things. 

For over-the-ear, my Audio Technica . . I don't remember what they're called, they're like 5 years old, cost a little over a 100 USD at the time? They're not the most amazing headphones ever obviously, but they're troopers still going and more than good enough for me. *checks* ATH-M50s according to Amazon, tho that listing points to new wireless ones I definitely don't have now,  the cost 123 USD at the time, and 5 years old last month.

I'm pretty damn picky about earphones,  I have a pair of like $300 Sony in ear headphones and I do like them a lot,  but by far my favorite earphones are the one that come (or came) with Sony Xperia phones,  basically the same as the expensive ones sound quality wise and they have a mic,  for those who use it, I don't,  never did ,  but the sound & quality is really good.  

The expensive ones are about 10 years old now, the phone ones about 6, both in perfect working order,  the older ones are kinda oxidated by now tho,  they still work, but idk for how long! 

And on topic,  yes please share the results, I'd be very interested to know if this works!  :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And on topic,  yes please share the results, I'd be very interested to know if this works!  :)

In short: the Sapphire vapor-x r9 290 doesn't fit 5700/5700 xt boards. 

15 minutes ago, ailith said:

Well, I finally found the thing people were talking about -- honestly, if I'd found this yesterday I mighta guessed "Hey, you see the difference between what he did an that Sapphire Vapor-x cooler you have, right? I mean, the 5700xt board doesn't even have enough power connections for the Sapphire cooler" 

Gah.  All twitter links.  Can’t open em.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ah damn,  would have been nice 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Looked at the jayztwocents YouTube site and I’m having trouble finding what video is being talked about

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Looked at the jayztwocents YouTube site and I’m having trouble finding what video is being talked about

Towards the end he offhandedly says something like "Okay so this project was silly, just try that using an r9 290 cooler thing people were doing." the video title is "We didn't think this stupid mod would work...." if you can't see yt links.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ah damn,  would have been nice 

What's just funny in hindsight is that the middle of the three fans on this cooler never worked, and this was a reasonably common thing back when I googled it years ago with no suggestions to fix it (that worked, anyway). When I opened it I was like "There are two fan headers in here. . . so, the first and third fan are in series and plugged in here and. . .and the middle fan isn't plugged in!! Are you kidding me!?" XD. It musta come undone in shipping or just failed to be plugged in in manufacturing or something. 

1 minute ago, ailith said:

Towards the end he offhandedly says something like "Okay so this project was silly, just try that using an r9 290 cooler thing people were doing." the video title is "We didn't think this stupid mod would work...." if you can't see yt links.

No I got that one.  That video was really long.  Like 3/4 of it was setting up the control test so I was trying to scrub through it.  Must have missed the pertinent bit.

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

if nothing else, you could get a waterblock for it and make a little 120mm radiator cooling loop - there are some pump-on-radiator options that would suit nicely.

Could do - might eventually, I'm really not worried about the temps to be honest, that r9 290 ran at 95c for like 5 years without a problem, a video just put the idea in my head and I was like "Hey, I have an old GPu, let's see if it's cooler fits!"