Air or Water

LinusFan132

So as I am a newbie in the PC area (well not in my school), what are the pros and cons of water and air cooling?

*** Threads merged ***

Please only post once per question. Or if you have multiple smaller questions, post them as one bigger thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

they said, Air is better. im a noob as well. based on what they said, there are air coolers that are actually better than water coolers.  watercoolers also have shorter life span than air coolers (broken pump = broken AIO) 

Pros of air

-cheaper

-looks cooler(depending on the aesthetics)

-has a longer lifespan(practically immortal unless you threw it around LOL)

Cons of air

-sometimes, if its too large, it can block the ram or even not fit in the case

-(my personal fear) if the heatsink is too heavy it might fall off if not secured properly and practically destroy the gpu. 

Pros of water cooling

-Easier to install

-can fit in most cases (depending on the size of the AIO)

-can cool better(depending on the size of the radiator again)

cons of water cooling

-can leak(oof)

-radiator can be hard to fit if the case does not support the mounting

-E X P E N S I V E

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

16 hours ago, LinusFan132 said:

So as I am a newbie in the PC area (well not in my school), what are the pros and cons of water and air cooling?

Air coolers are basically set it and forget it unless a fan dies.  There really are no parts of an air cooler that will die unless physical damage is involved.

With an AIO you have the possibility of a leak, a pump dying, or a fan failing.  The chances of a leak or dead pump are admittedly very small if you buy a reputable brand, but still non-zero.

Most people pick based on aesthetics or case size limitation (since the top end air coolers can be very large).  I personally like air for it's simplicity, but when I finally getting around to upgrading my gaming rig I may try an AIO.  But that's more since I want to switch it over to a sorta small form factor build where a large air cooler might not fit.

I would not recommend custom loop water cooling as a first time system builder.  It will perform better than any air cooler, but the cost, complexity, and risk go WAY up.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

On 11/9/2019 at 4:08 AM, Martin2132 said:

Pros of water cooling

-Easier to install

I'd argue it's the opposite. There are plenty of difficult installations on either side but a good air cooler installation is much easier than a good liquid cooling installation. Any of Noctua's coolers are a great example that a liquid installation would struggle to compete with. 

@LinusFan132 If you would like cooler recommendations, tell us your specs and what you're looking for in a cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:25 AM, LinusFan132 said:

Price:

AIO's generally cost more. Anywhere from (USD)$45 - $200

Air coolers are cheaper as a rule. You can get a very good cooler for $60. Anywhere from $25 - $110

Compatibility:

Some air coolers can run into tall ram. In some rare scenarios block the top PCIE slot. Some are tall and require a deep case.

AIO's come in 120mm, 240mm, 280mm, 360mm, (rare) 420mm

Most cases can fit a 120, 240 or 280. They don't block ram or PCIE.

Either way you have to check to see if your motherboard and case are compatible with your choice.

Performance:

Air coolers reach equilibrium and dissipate faster than water coolers.

AIO's handle temperate spikes better.

A few high end air coolers compete with high end AIO's. ex: Noctua D15 competes with something like an NZXT X62.

A 240mm AIO or a mid range air cooler are plenty for most peoples use case in my opinion.

Reliability:

AIO's have a pump that could die, could corrode over time, and can leak.

Failure rates are low but possible. Some have a software to save the CPU if the pump dies. Some companies will cover damage costs from leaks.

Air coolers are as reliable as the fans on them. If a fan dies, the heat sink can passively cool enough to allow your CPU to downclock and protect itself.

Air coolers and their fans are also generally covered under warranty.

TLDR:

Air coolers are generally cheaper and more reliable.

AIO's generally cost more and can have higher cooling potential.

Find one you want, see if it's compatible with your components. Check reviews for warranty experiences, noise and reliability.

2 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

-snip-

To add on to that for open loop/custom liquid cooling:

Price:

Unless you go super cheap AliExpress style like @Tristerin, pretty much always more expensive than even the most costly AIOs. My loop was all brand name stuff so it's around $500-700 or so (you can go a good bit cheaper if you shop around). 

Compatibility:

As compatible as you want it, you're picking every component yourself so you can build for pretty much any case and hardware (there's even watercooling kits for the Raspberry Pi).

Performance:

If built right, as good as it gets without going exotic (Chillers, LN2, other stuff like that). If you're limited by your case or something, then still slightly above good air coolers/AIOs most of the time, but most of the difference is on the GPU (GPUs take very well to water). Really depends on budget and what case you're running. 

Reliability:

Pretty damn reliable if you go for something like EK-ZMT (rubber tubing) with stubbies and zip ties. Never had a single leak with that setup, blocks are dependable af, and D5 pumps just kinda pump forever, I've never heard of reliability issues with them. So long as you don't mix metals and run good coolants to avoid blockages it's basically just flushing/refilling the loop maybe yearly, depending on the size of your res, maybe a couple top-ups too. 

If you go with hardline then it'll be less reliable but still if built right they shouldn't have any issues. 

TLDR:
Expensive, but you have full control. You decide how it looks, you decide what you'll stuff in your rig, you decide how it performs, you decide how reliable it is. 

Like other peeps said I wouldn't recommend it for a first time builder, I just wanted to give a perspective on the third option. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Zando Bob I cant get enough of them $12 aluminum radiators!  I just bought some new antifreeze to try in my next loop, twice as expensive and I need to do more research but Im pretty sure its PETG safe from the chemical sheet I was looking - its G05 stuff, goes in the high end cars etc and should make hardline loops cheap too!  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case