100% CPU utilization on all cores even idle after local power outage

Tonberry

Hi guys..

I'm facing a weird issue with my PC.

My CPU is running 100% utilization on it all cores at all time after there is a temporary local power outage/blackout, I dont use UPS so my PC went down when it happen. After the power back on, I turned my PC on and all my system fans gone mad, see the temps instantly go 64C, I usually have its temps at 38C just after starting the system on. I found that it is at 100% CPU utilization on its all cores even I just started it on and I dont do anything with it, no program or anything I run on it. It just makes my CPU temps instantly go 64C even after cold start.

Checking with task manager there are no specific processes that is taxing the CPU too much, but there are some random applications or programs that fluctuates in CPU utilization consecutively.

I did system scan by dism & sfc scans, nothing seems wrong.

Why did this happen after power outage, what is the correlation with it?

I did anything I can but nothing seems fixed. Even I undervolt and underclock my CPU in BIOS, nope, it doesnt fix, the temps still go instantly up to over 60C with all 6 cores at 100% utilizations.

Please help!

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Just now, emosun said:

whats the cpu temp while sitting in the bios

38-39C

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

6 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Hi guys..

I'm facing a weird issue with my PC.

My CPU is running 100% utilization on it all cores at all time after there is a temporary local power outage/blackout, I dont use UPS so my PC went down when it happen. After the power back on, I turned my CPU on and all my system fans gone mad, see the temps instantly go 64C, I usually have its temps at 38C just after starting the system on. I found that it is at 100% CPU utilization on its all cores even I just started it on and I dont do anything with it, no program or anything I run on it. It just makes my CPU temps instantly go 64C even after cold start.

Checking with task manager there are no specific processes that is taxing the CPU too much, but there are some random applications or programs that fluctuates in CPU utilization consecutively.

I did system scan by dism & sfc scans, nothing seems wrong.

Why did this happen after power outage, what is the correlation with it?

Did anything I can but seems nothing fixed. Even I downvolt and downclock my CPU in BIOS, nope, it doesnt fix, the temps still go instantly up to over 60C with all 6 cores at 100% utilizations.

Please help!

Looks like the power outage did bad things to the motherboard.  Let someone else give their insight on this.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, PotatoCanDo! said:

38-39C

and the machine stays that way when sitting in the bios and the fans don't change?

48 minutes ago, emosun said:

and the machine stays that way when sitting in the bios and the fans don't change?

yep, it seems normal when I'm in BIOS, but once it booted up into Windows, it goes mad again, instant 100% utilization on all cores with >60C temps.

SILVER GLINT

1 minute ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

yep, it's seems normal when I'm in BIOS, but once it booted up into Windows, it goes mad again, instant 100% utilization on all cores with >60C temps.

yeah the temp isn't really a concern or the issue just the utilization.

are you not the system admin so you are unable to see all the processes that are running?

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah the temp isn't really a concern or the issue just the utilization.

I completely agree with this, the problem is not the temps, but the CPU utilizations which makes the temps and fans goes mad.

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you not the system admin so you are unable to see all the processes that are running?

Here's a screenshot of task manager

1.thumb.png.5a94db02f015e82141984c14676953b7.png

Those applications are changing their order consecutively in how much they utilize the CPU.

SILVER GLINT

windows might be trying to figure out why it suddenly powered off in which case you'd have to just wait it out , but for the time being you can go into the power options and set the cpu max value to 40-50% so it doesnt run hot

1 minute ago, emosun said:

windows might be trying to figure out why it suddenly powered off in which case you'd have to just wait it out , but for the time being you can go into the power options and set the cpu max value to 40-50% so it doesnt run hot

Will it take long time to get normal again?

It never hapen before the outage.

SILVER GLINT

1 minute ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Will it take long time to get normal again?

It never hapen before the outage.

no idea , windows 10 is pretty much a dumpster fire when it come to resource usage. i wouldn't be surprised if it take hours. I'ts only a running guess at this point but i'm willing to be thats what its doing. why it needs 100% cpu power to do that is beyond me

What are you using for Antivirus? Try booting into safe mode. If your computer runs normally you know it's not a Windows related issue but an application causing the issue.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

no idea , windows 10 is pretty much a dumpster fire when it come to resource usage. i wouldn't be surprised if it take hours. I'ts only a running guess at this point but i'm willing to be thats what its doing. why it needs 100% cpu power to do that is beyond me

The power outage happens yesterday. And this full utilization already run 24hr after the outage. I tried so many things I can to fix until now where I'm stuck so I asked here.

1 thing I haven't tried to do is reinstalling the windows. So many things to redo from scratch if I do it.

SILVER GLINT

13 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

What are you using for Antivirus? Try booting into safe mode. If your computer runs normally you know it's not a Windows related issue but an application causing the issue.

I've tried it, and it still 100% utilization even in safe mode.

SILVER GLINT

2 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

The power outage happens yesterday. And this full utilization already run 24hr after the outage. I tried so many things I can to fix until now where I'm stuck so I asked here.

1 thing I haven't tried to do is reinstalling the windows. So many things to redo from scratch if I do it.

Do you have a spare HDD or SSD to test a fresh install? It doesn't have to be anything special, then your install remains in tact. 

14 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Do you have a spare HDD or SSD to test a fresh install? It doesn't have to be anything special, then your install remains in tact. 

Yes I have a spare hdd. I dont get what you mean, but I can try. Please, guide me..

SILVER GLINT

When you lost power was your computer hooked up to a surge protector at least? I know you mentioned you don't have a UPS. Look your motherboard over, do you have any blown or bulging caps? There's a picture below. Odd to say but does anything smell a bit off when you're near the computer.

Image result for blown capacitor 

When you lost power was your computer hooked up to a surge protector at least? I know you mentioned you don't have a UPS.

No, it's from the PSU straight to the wall.

SILVER GLINT

7 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Yes I have a spare hdd. I dont get what you mean, but I can try. Please, guide me..

if everything else on your computer is OK and you want to test a clean install of Windows 10 You can do so using another hard drive to keep the files in order on the original. If the new install works then we know your computer is OK and either your old Install could be corrupt or your HDD/SSD which ever it is could be bad. Either way it wouldn't be good news. 

2 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

No, it's from the PSU straight to the wall.

That's VERY bad for this exact reason. Get a surge protector at the very least, a UPS would be best. 

12 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

if everything else on your computer is OK and you want to test a clean install of Windows 10 You can do so using another hard drive to keep the files in order on the original. If the new install works then we know your computer is OK and either your old Install could be corrupt or your HDD/SSD which ever it is could be bad. Either way it wouldn't be good news. 

I should've got a UPS since the beginning.

SILVER GLINT

That's VERY bad for this exact reason. Get a surge protector at the very least, a UPS would be best. 

Yes, it's bad. I was too complacent about power stability in my city.

This is the 1st time a thing like this happen when I use all my previous PCs and this current PC like this since 2015.

But once it happens, I can't blame anyone but myself.

SILVER GLINT

44 minutes ago, emosun said:

no idea , windows 10 is pretty much a dumpster fire when it come to resource usage.

is there a way to reduce that?

1 hour ago, Ehmc130 said:

Here is comparison between report from task manager and from Windows ProcessExplorer, it shows different % usage,

2.thumb.png.01125dbbc6713785f80f84f988d41429.png

SILVER GLINT