How do you bind acrylic sheets at 90 degree angles?

Con

Hello guys, I'm working on my first acrylic project.

Boring backstory:

Spoiler

The aim is to build a low spec machine with a pretty case, as a Christmas present.

All it needs to do is download and play movies for a 1080p TV, maybe YouTube 1080p60 capable. I've got a mini ITX motherboard bundled with CPU and cooler.

I'm interested in PC standardisation, so I'd like the screw holes in the acrylic to be in typical places, so they can be swapped out with other parts, rather than moulding anything for a specific part, or gluing any parts down, or gluing the case in a way that prevents swapping out parts in future.

I've no experience with acrylic and I want to connect sheets together at 90 degree angles. I'm going to buy a drill and dremel, and some other cutting tools to make a good job with it. I have a vice, G clamps and will need to find some wood to help make straight cuts with the saw, although I am considering the scratch and snap method.

So how would you recommend connecting the acrylic in a way that isn't permanent? One thing I have in mind is screws going through 90 degree metal brackets with bolts on the other side.

90 degree angle brackets or blocks with threaded screw inserts may be the simplest and most effective way to do this.  That's how SunbeamTech used to make their acrylic PC case kits, and it seems to have worked well since I've never heard of one falling apart.

-Moving to Case Modding and Other Mods- since you might get more ideas in this subforum :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 11/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, Con said:

Hello guys, I'm working on my first acrylic project.

Boring backstory:

Reveal hidden contents

The aim is to build a low spec machine with a pretty case, as a Christmas present.

All it needs to do is download and play movies for a 1080p TV, maybe YouTube 1080p60 capable. I've got a mini ITX motherboard bundled with CPU and cooler.

I'm interested in PC standardisation, so I'd like the screw holes in the acrylic to be in typical places, so they can be swapped out with other parts, rather than moulding anything for a specific part, or gluing any parts down, or gluing the case in a way that prevents swapping out parts in future.

I've no experience with acrylic and I want to connect sheets together at 90 degree angles. I'm going to buy a drill and dremel, and some other cutting tools to make a good job with it. I have a vice, G clamps and will need to find some wood to help make straight cuts with the saw, although I am considering the scratch and snap method.

So how would you recommend connecting the acrylic in a way that isn't permanent? One thing I have in mind is screws going through 90 degree metal brackets with bolts on the other side.

As suggested using connectrs in the corners such as how Parvumn does their cases is a good way to go, another is to source aluminum corner extrustion to run along the edge. 

https://www.parvumsystems.com/products/modding-cube

If you want to bend acrylic the easiest is to heat with a heatgun and use a straight edge clamped over a bench to get a nice straight bend.

This stuff is used to create a chemical weld which is much stronger and much more aesthetic than using a glue or brace but has greater strength.

Screenshot_20191106-014158_Amazon Shopping.jpg

you can get metal/plastic L brackets at any hardware store for dirt cheap. then use small bolts and nuts to secure.

3 ways to make angled joints with plastic: 

Bend: Acrylic becomes compliant at around 110C. Place the sheet on a flat base surface with a straight edge. Prefeably not a sharp edge. Use 2 strips of wood on top. First strip should be placed flush with the base surface edge. Second strip is placed next to the first one, spaced apart by plastic sheet thickness + a bit for bend radius. Heat the plastic sheet from below until it starts to sag and then heat from above, making sure to aim the airflow in between wood strips. Push on the overhang to form the bend. Heat for a few seconds to relieve stress. Let cool. 

Screw connections (support or not). Cut, drill, screw, repeat. 

Glue(weld). Gluing and welding acrylic takes a few tricks. Cut pieces and "dry" fit them with tape. Then, pivot open the joint, apply glue/weld solvent and press together. Viola: less overflow from the joint and it allows better solvent evaporation. Take note that welding joints need a specific solvent flash time and more pressure. 

the bending is hard, personally i would buy an acrylic maybe 3x3 cm rod, then use that in the joint so you have larger attacment surfaces, when gluing... it will however not look as great as a bend, but is easy to do... since it is just cutting.