Is my build priced too high?

Sat1600

I build and sell PCs as a hobby. Mostly mid range with ryzen 1600/2600 and RX 580s. I have also built budget systems using used hardware and upgraded pre-builts. I usually make between $30 & $100 on a build depending on the system. This is really just a hobby.

On my latest system I tried making a super budget build using mostly new parts. The PSU is from an HP pre-built. Everything else is new. Here is the craigslist ad:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/sys/d/richmond-hill-custom-budget-gaming-pc/7012584175.html

I'm getting seriously low balled and get messages like this:

Is this price too high? I'm willing to take $275 if offered. 

Screenshot_20191103-081154_OfferUp.jpg

2200G producing 70 FPS whilst gaming? lol

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I think like 300 would be more honest, but 325 is still kinda reasonable

Edit: And yeah the advertisement is kinda misleading

Considering you can get a similar system in parts for roughly the same price, I don't blame him for telling you there won't be much interest..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($78.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($70.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($39.97 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $332.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 08:26 EST-0500

But you're gonna have to bank on the person who doesn't want to build their own PC to buy this

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

But you're gonna have to bank on the person who doesn't want to build their own PC to buy this

i dont think the pricing is too bad tbh, but the price should have been stated lower in the original ad 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

13 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

2200G producing 70 FPS whilst gaming? lol

That's with the gpu clocked 1500mhz

17 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

I think like 300 would be more honest, but 325 is still kinda reasonable

Edit: And yeah the advertisement is kinda misleading

I found that I do better when I leave room for negotiation. I'm hoping for $275.

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

Considering you can get a similar system in parts for roughly the same price, I don't blame him for telling you there won't be much interest..

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($78.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($70.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($39.97 @ Amazon) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $332.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 08:26 EST-0500

Not everyone is willing to build themselves. Otherwise I wouldn't sell any PCs

1 minute ago, Sat1600 said:

Not everyone is willing to build themselves. Otherwise I wouldn't sell any PCs

I get that, the first sentence of my post + parts list is trying to explain the stuff from the perspective of the person who messaged you, the last sentence is from a more reasonable perspective.

The reasonable perspective of "you're offering convenience - which not everyone will be able to appreciate"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Buiding your own PC is very simple, more people should do it. However, having done it myself with some knowledge I still found it quite a commitment to balance the build, learn how to put it together and then actually do it.

Some people value the time to learn way and above the cost to build it themselves.

I like your idea of putting a budget build together but leaving that much wiggle room suggests to cost conscious buyers you don’t know how to price things.

Cost up your parts, decide your margin and add a little but not much more than a fast food meal. Thats what most people will wiggle.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

35 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

I build and sell PCs as a hobby. Mostly mid range with ryzen 1600/2600 and RX 580s. I have also built budget systems using used hardware and upgraded pre-builts. I usually make between $30 & $100 on a build depending on the system. This is really just a hobby.

On my latest system I tried making a super budget build using mostly new parts. The PSU is from an HP pre-built. Everything else is new. Here is the craigslist ad:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/sys/d/richmond-hill-custom-budget-gaming-pc/7012584175.html

I'm getting seriously low balled and get messages like this:

Is this price too high? I'm willing to take $275 if offered. 

This is a brand new of the shelf build that is better for not much more.

What ur asking isnt totally unreasonable, however you would probably do better setting it at $300.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

If you have a spare gpu around plug it in and try to sell it with that at an adjusted price.  Run both adds and the first configuration that sells go with that.  Just pull both adds when done.

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

This is a brand new of the shelf build that is better for not much more.

What ur asking isnt totally unreasonable, however you would probably do better setting it at $300.

That's $405 after tax and rebate. I'm hoping to get $275. That's a big jump.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Take nice photos. Have a clean background, keep the computer in focus, and show all angles of the system. 

2) Benchmark a series of games. Find the average FPS your system can deliver in some leading titles and give an exact average. If the 
    computer can't run a game above 50FPS, lower the settings/resolution until it hits a better average. 

3)  Post on as many local selling platforms as possible. 

4) Add to your description a little bit. I would have a short paragraph at the beginning of the listing with basic specifications and what
    applications/genes of games the computer's good for, followed by benchmarks and detailed parts list. I think that a little "Thanks for
    looking!" at the end is a nice touch. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord