The Bitcoin Death Star: KnC planning/building 10 MW Datacenter in Sweden

Post at /.

1sockchuck writes

"Bitcoin hardware vendor KnC Miner has begun construction on a 10 megawatt data center in Sweden that it will fill with high-powered computers mining for cryptocurrency. KnC has emerged as a leading vendor in the volatile market for ASIC mining rigs, focusing on underpromising and overdelivering. One goal of its move into cloud mining is to cushion any fallout from delivery delays on new hardware, which have been a sore point for miners in the fast-moving Bitcoin market. "Over the next few months we are bringing online enough hashing power to make sure that any delay in the Neptune timeline will be compensated with a completely free hosted hashing packages to all fully paid customers," KnC says in its newsletter."

Holy crap. Dats a lot of hash rate. 

... Hmm. I don't see the value in paying to mine currency. I mean, why don't they just keep the coins they mine? Really? 

I understand it's a more constant stream of cash, having people pay you to mine for them. But still. It just doesn't seem logical. 

Note: If you go to slashdot and it looks weird, make sure you aren't at beta.slashdot.org. They are trying out a new format. It's terrible.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

They are going to need their own power plant

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Post at /.

... Hmm. I don't see the value in paying to mine currency. I mean, why don't they just keep the coins they mine? Really? 

I understand it's a more constant stream of cash, having people pay you to mine for them. But still. It just doesn't seem logical. 

it makes complete sense, you aren't using a currency that is unstable and unreliable as to people valuing it's worth, they get to stick with a REAL currency they can use for whatever

Good. Sweden needs more electrical companies.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

They are going to need their own power plant

Or an infinity stone like a tesseract

Most (all decently sized) datacenters have their own substations.

Post at /.

Note: If you go to slashdot and it looks weird, make sure you aren't at beta.slashdot.org. They are trying out a new format. It's terrible.

The thing is, it's for people whose asic miners were delayed. That way they aren't missing out on the hashing power they would have had.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Does not say anything about hash rate, just effect...