Scam or not?

I don't really know which topic this goes into but if mods think this does not belong here,please move it to the appropriate section.

So today on the train station, 2 guys

came and asked my Phone Number for a survey and being naïve I gave it to them. Immediately a code came in the SMS bin and then they typed the code in some app. 

They said a credit code would come for an online payment app (If you guys want the name then I am happy to specify) even after saying I don't use it.

Shortly after an SMS came in with a link. Basically the SMS read you've completed your Rap Song this is the link (didn't click it) share it with your friends.

I've been on the internet for a long time and know about phishing links and stuff. This mobile phone doesn't have anything sensitive on it but it is connected to my Google Pasword Save thing. 

I know the website is not legit since I couldn't dig up anything about it.

However in the process, I accidentally accesed the main website (not the link, typed the website name and .com) for 2 seconds. I saw the tab description and it read "Crush Rap".

My questions are :

1) How much danger am I in knowing that they have my mobile no.?

2) Since I visitsd the base website not the link, is it still enough to screw me over (if website is required I will post it here).

3) A good and free Virus Lab to get the Link Checked.

If the screenshot of the SMS is Required I can post it here just ask for it

Hopefully I can get an answer and late scowl over myself fir my own stupidity :P

Thanks In Advance

23 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

I don't really know which topic this goes into but if mods think this does not belong here,please move it to the appropriate section.

So today on the train station, 2 guys

came and asked my Phone Number for a survey and being naïve I gave it to them. Immediately a code came in the SMS bin and then they typed the code in some app. 

They said a credit code would come for an online payment app (If you guys want the name then I am happy to specify) even after saying I don't use it.

Shortly after an SMS came in with a link. Basically the SMS read you've completed your Rap Song this is the link (didn't click it) share it with your friends.

I've been on the internet for a long time and know about phishing links and stuff. This mobile phone doesn't have anything sensitive on it but it is connected to my Google Pasword Save thing. 

I know the website is not legit since I couldn't dig up anything about it.

However in the process, I accidentally accesed the main website (not the link, typed the website name and .com) for 2 seconds. I saw the tab description and it read "Crush Rap".

My questions are :

1) How much danger am I in knowing that they have my mobile no.?

2) Since I visitsd the base website not the link, is it still enough to screw me over (if website is required I will post it here).

3) A good and free Virus Lab to get the Link Checked.

If the screenshot of the SMS is Required I can post it here just ask for it

Hopefully I can get an answer and late scowl over myself fir my own stupidity :P

Thanks In Advance

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

the code that came in u should never have shown them, they probably made a purchase using ur phone number xd

^ thats what me reckons. 

Phone up your phone company and tell them whats happened make sure no transactions have been done.

Since you received an SMS with a verification code, you essentially used your phone number to verify whatever they were doing. Think of it like a verification email you get when you sign up somewhere (like LTT forums). You receive an email, you click the link, you verify that it was you creating that account.

So they created an account, entered your phone number and you verified that it was "you" by giving them the code. This means your phone number is now bound to whatever account they created.

If possible, you could attempt to lock/delete the account. Go to the site, say "forgot password", hope they send you a recovery SMS and then use that to cancel/lock the account. However, that will most likely go to some (fake?) email account they control.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

To all people being worried with bank transactions and such, its not connected with any bank account nor used to access any bank details.

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Since you received an SMS with a verification code, you essentially used your phone number to verify whatever they were doing. Think of it like a verification email you get when you sign up somewhere (like LTT forums). You receive an email, you click the link, you verify that it was you creating that account.

So they created an account, entered your phone number and you verified that it was "you" by giving them the code. This means your phone number is now bound to whatever account they created.

If possible, you could attempt to lock/delete the account. Go to the site, say "forgot password", hope they send you a recovery SMS and then use that to cancel/lock the account. However, that will most likely go to some (fake?) email account they control.

Hmm possible. This is the SMS

Translation Congratulations! You've completed your Rap Song.

This is your link (link). Share it with your friends and show your Rap Talent.

The Tab description if the Website says "Crush Rap"

My guess is that these folks used my no.  To post something on the website.

If a Lab Virus test deems the link safe then I can interfere and remove my number. Until then, I am not clicking that link.

Screenshot_2019-11-01-21-11-38-654_com.android.mms.png

3 hours ago, The Torrent said:

^ thats what me reckons. 

Phone up your phone company and tell them whats happened make sure no transactions have been done.

I visited the link on my desktop using a VPN and Incognito. Its just a page with a playable audio of a guy rapping with a template background music.

What makes me paranoid is that the base link (only typing in the link) gives a website error menawhile typing the link just shows the audio play and nothing else. Feels like a rushed, rookie or basic website.

Just now, Masteroid said:

I visited the link on my desktop using a VPN and Incognito. Its just a page with a playable audio of a guy rapping with a template background music.

What makes me paranoid is that the base link (only typing in the link) gives a website error menawhile typing the link just shows the audio play and nothing else. Feels like a rushed, rookie or basic website.

im thinking maybe they used your number to purchase someone for example on fiverr to make a rap for them or something..? maybe...

phone up your phone company and check

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

im thinking maybe they used your number to purchase someone for example on fiverr to make a rap for them or something..? maybe...

phone up your phone company and check

As I said in an above post. The phone is not connected to any banking stuff and is not used to access any banking stuff. Nor will it be used to access any bank stuff till atleast 3 years or when I surrender my main SIM.

The country that I live in (India) is not a place where two random dudes come up knowing what Fiverr is and making a transaction on it.

Looking at the source code of the page you posted, there are some strings that hint at your phone number being used to pay for something:

var dataString = 'paytype='+ paytype + '&mobileno=' + mobileno + '&userid=' + user + '&operator=' + operator + '&p_date=' + p_date + '&mobile_type=' + mobile_type;
alert('First Select recharge type and enter mobile no');

Overall the page looks like a rushed thing. Maybe a (failed) attempt at a phishing site.

4 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

I visited the link on my desktop using a VPN and Incognito.

That's not really protecting you against anything. VPN makes sure your actual IP is not in their server logs, but that's about it. Incognito just makes sure your browser doesn't remember that visit.

If anything, use an ad blocker, script blocker and disable Java script. That should be far more useful as far as blocking potentially harmful scripts goes. On top of that, don't download anything (including audio), because whatever you download could contain a virus or exploit a bug (e.g. buffer overflow) to compromise your PC.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Looking at the source code of the page you posted, there are some strings that hint at your phone number being used to pay for something:

var dataString = 'paytype='+ paytype + '&mobileno=' + mobileno + '&userid=' + user + '&operator=' + operator + '&p_date=' + p_date + '&mobile_type=' + mobile_type;
alert('First Select recharge type and enter mobile no');

Overall the page looks like a rushed thing. Maybe a (failed) attempt at a phishing site.

That's not really protecting you against anything. VPN makes sure your actual IP is not in their server logs, but that's about it. Incognito just makes sure your browser doesn't remember that visit.

If anything, use an ad blocker, script blocker and disable Java script. That should be far more useful as far as blocking potentially harmful scripts goes. On top of that, don't download anything (including audio), because whatever you download could contain a virus or exploit a bug (e.g. buffer overflow) to compromise your PC.

I am not downloading it. However the question remains.

Am I screwed or not?

1 minute ago, Masteroid said:

Am I screwed or not?

Well, based on your description above, you listened to the audio, so yes, you did download it. You did not save it to a file, but in order to play the audio, your browser has to download it (to a buffer or temporary file). If that audio file contains an exploit for a bug in the browser that could be enough to do harm.

In any case, a stranger now has your mobile phone number and used it to get and receive a confirmation code for something. Hard to tell what exactly they did, because the site appears to be broken. As others have said, check with your provider.

25 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

Am I screwed or not?

Once again, to clear things up

There are hints of your phone number being used to pay for something

Phone your phone service provider up and confirm if any charges have been made.

27 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

Am I screwed or not?

just download malwarebytes and run that to check for any viruses if any where downloaded.

If your on your phone you'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

just download malwarebytes and run that to check for any viruses if any where downloaded.

If your on your phone you'll be fine.

I ran malwarebytes and kaspersky on my mobile + desktop. Both of them came up with nothing.

4 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

I ran malwarebytes and kaspersky on my mobile + desktop. Both of them came up with nothing.

ok.

phone up your service provider now and check for any charges on your mobile.

48 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

The phone is not connected to any banking stuff and is not used to access any banking stuff.

That has nothing to do with what's been talked about before. It does not mean that the people you gave your number to won't connect the number itself to some sort of account. They can use your number as a verification/gateway to making purchases.

1 hour ago, Masteroid said:

To all people being worried with bank transactions and such, its not connected with any bank account nor used to access any bank details.

No, you don't understand. Whatever is purchased will be on your phone bill. This is quite low-tech way to do things in countries without credit or debit cards. And elsewhere like in whole Europe.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

ok.

phone up your service provider now and check for any charges on your mobile.

I am not doing that for now. Dealing with the  provider is a pain in the ass. Judging by the website and the people themselves it probably wasn't something highly serious. 

1 minute ago, Masteroid said:

I am not doing that for now. Dealing with the  provider is a pain in the ass. Judging by the website and the people themselves it probably wasn't something highly serious. 

Serious or not, better safe than sorry. It's like changing the locks on a new house. The previous owner likely won't ever keep the old keys (if they didn't give them back) and likely won't ever enter the house again. But you still change the locks anyways, because it's a good investment.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Serious or not, better safe than sorry. It's like changing the locks on a new house. The previous owner likely won't ever keep the old keys (if they didn't give them back) and likely won't ever enter the house again. But you still change the locks anyways, because it's a good investment.

Hmm my provider has an App which is clunky yes but does its job. It doesn't really show any recent changes or bills so it feels like im safe for now.

Just now, Masteroid said:

Hmm my provider has an App which is clunky yes but does its job. It doesn't really show any recent changes or bills so it feels like im safe for now.

I would phone them up anyway because you can alert them to this, and they can keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.

11 minutes ago, Masteroid said:

honesty id phone them up right know even if it takes the rest of the day. All clues lead to if anything happened money being taken out your account. Your taking a big risk not phoning them up.

you even show in your attitude 'im safe for now', that your wary something is gonna happen. Its your call.

Your also likely your number is on some sketchy database which is likely to sell its information on again now - so be prepared for possible spam calls to your phone

10 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

honesty id phone them up right know even if it takes the rest of the day. All clues lead to if anything happened money being taken out your account. Your taking a big risk not phoning them up.

you even show in your attitude 'im safe for now', that your wary something is gonna happen. Its your call.

Your also likely your number is on some sketchy database which is likely to sell its information on again now - so be prepared for possible spam calls to your phone

I have blocked the number. I have a prepaid account sytem. I will try contacting them tommrow.

35 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Ok So I had a chat with my provider and they said nothings wrong with ny number and they immediately hung up. I knew these guys were lazy but I didn't known that lazy.

I waited 5 eons for this guy to send me a response and I type for 5 secinds and hes gone.

Nevertheless, according to him my account is fine and nothing has happened.

This does a few possible things, actually...

If they were attempting to reset the password to any account, and it asks for a mobile number to send the reset code to, you just allowed them to use YOUR phone to reset the password. Now YOU look like the person that stole said account. Also, the link sent could allow them to install malware to continue using your mobile number to do resets or any number of other things.

I doubt your phone provider will even notice any changes right away. Also, they may not care, as you are liable for charges made to your number, even if you're a prepaid customer - and if you use autopay, your instruments of payment will be charged, and good luck getting it back.

It would help to know the actual number or short code the 'special code' you got came from, instead of that 'QP PROMOT' that shows as the source. You'd have to read or show the raw source of the text message.

At the very least, you confirmed your mobile number for a flood of spam, which may include scams, and the people that talked to you may be getting paid per number captured to get verified numbers.

One way or another this was definitely a scam.

Never, ever give some random person your number, but especially do NOT give them a code you receive as a result. You could be helping to steal an account, and you could have to prove you weren't the one doing it.

1 hour ago, Masteroid said:

Ok So I had a chat with my provider and they said nothings wrong with ny number and they immediately hung up. I knew these guys were lazy but I didn't known that lazy.

I waited 5 eons for this guy to send me a response and I type for 5 secinds and hes gone.

Nevertheless, according to him my account is fine and nothing has happened.

well you contacted him now so you can say that you even attempted phoning the phone company and seeing if anything was wrong if anything comes back to bite you. read post above.