Corsair Ax 760 or Ax 860?

driverdj2000

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new PSU and am unsure whether to go for the Corsair AX760 or AX860. I'd like the 860 for future proofing but at the same time I don't want to waste money. My specs are below.

Thanks in advance

Mobo: Asus p7p55d-e

CPU: i7 860 Lynnfield (stock but am planning to OC soon)

GPU: Asus GTX 770

RAM: 12gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600mhz

HDD: 120GB OCZ Agility

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black

HDD: 2TB Samsung

Case: Corsair 600t

2 optical drives

My current PSU is a 4 yr old OCZ modxstream 600w which is the bare minimum recommended for this GPU so I'd like to upgrade.

Do you plan on SLI soon?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

AX 760, it still will give you headroom for MAYBE Sli, but room for a more powerful GPU

well, if you plan on going SLI then go for the AX860 for headroom. 

how much is the price difference between AX760 and AX860?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

It's a $40 difference on newegg.com

get the ax860 for the extra headroom

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Thanks guys,

I'm in Ireland so the price difference equates to $35 or so which isn't much really. No plans to SLI but who knows in the future I may.

Both are more than you need even if you plan to sli.

If you don't plan to sli, a decent 550w is already plenty.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No plans for SLI = 760w. Plans for SLI = 860w

get the ax860 for the extra headroom

Stop it! Stop giving out bad advice. The maximum approximate power consumption of GTX 770 is 214 Watts. He could EASILY and with a ton of room to spare get a second GTX 770 and put in SLI (428 Watts) and it wouldn't even stress the PSU.

Hell he could even get a 3-way SLI (~ 642 Watts) going in there if he wanted, although that would be really pushing it, but it could be done. But a 2-way SLI is no problem for the AX760.

power_maximum.gif

A secondary source:

rFfWt03.png

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •