VelociRaptor vs WD Black

Seisatto

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 10000RPM 2.5 inch drive called the WD VelociRaptor. Does anybody know how loud this is compared to a standard WD Black drive? 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say its going to be hella loud, especially compared to a WD black (Even though those are known to be loud)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

there is a significant difference in the noise level, the velociraptor is louder.

does the noise bother me? no. However this is subjective.

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a 10000RPM 2.5 inch drive called the WD VelociRaptor. Does anybody know how loud this is compared to a standard WD Black drive? 

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

there is a significant difference in the noise level, the velociraptor is louder.

does the noise bother me? no. However this is subjective.

Hold the hell up!!!! Loud?!?! I can't hear mine and I got 3

Do you mostly wear headphones or do you just use speakers also do you have yours in the Icepack thing or did you buy it without (yes I have seen it for sale without it on trusted sites).

i own one

its not loud as the original raptors

they are fast too !

it waswhat  people used pre SSD days

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Do you mostly wear headphones or do you just use speakers also do you have yours in the Icepack thing or did you buy it without (yes I have seen it for sale without it on trusted sites).

both types, and both are 1 tb, my itx/htpc pc have one without the ice pack on the side panel, the other 2 is in the hdd tray as for sound I have both headphones and speakers. I swap depending on my mood or when I'm not in front of my pc

i own one

its not loud as the original raptors

they are fast too !

it waswhat  people used pre SSD days

They arnt fast enough to warrant the premium over 7200 rpm drives. They are barely faster. Chances are you wont notice it in most applications

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I have 2x 300GB they both came with the icepack. I wanted the 3.5 form factor.

mostly speakers, my case is a Silverstone FT02.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

They are just impractical. Expensive, Loud and sort of fast. Want speed? Buy an SSD. Can't afford a high capacity SSD or a SSD + HDD? Buy an SSHD. Thinking of it i don't think there's any reason to choose WD blacks over Seagates SSHD's for primary drives anymore.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

They are just impractical. Expensive, Loud and sort of fast..... Want speed? Buy an SSD. I'm not even sure why people choose WD blacks over Seagates SSHD's for primary drives anymore.

I think they were very practical... in the past. When i built my step-father's rig years ago, I opted for the Velociraptor as a "best of both worlds" drive. A couple years later when I bought Hitachi's single-platter 1TB drive for my rig (first one on the market), it was just as fast as the old 300gb Velociraptor, with slightly longer seek times.

Now that SSD storage is so cheap, I don't think a Velociraptor is worth it.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I think they were very practical... in the past. When i built my step-father's rig years ago, I opted for the Velociraptor as a "best of both worlds" drive. A couple years later when I bought Hitachi's single-platter 1TB drive for my rig (first one on the market), it was just as fast as the old 300gb Velociraptor, with slightly longer seek times.

Now that SSD storage is so cheap, I don't think a Velociraptor is worth it.

Yea for sure, I considered buying one at one point because at that time it made sense. Nowadays they are just outclassed and it would be nice if WD refreshed the series. A WD Black with a internal SSD for caching that was at least big enough to install a OS would be nice. It's a no-brainer imo i mean look at how popular SSD + HDD has become. 

Edit: Almost forgot that WD actually did make a hybrid WD Black with a 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD but it's for laptops....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

What are you going to do with VelociRaptor?

I will use it as the main drive having part of and SSD acting as a cache for it.

I have 2x 300GB they both came with the icepack. I wanted the 3.5 form factor.

mostly speakers, my case is a Silverstone FT02.

Do you hear a hum or the actual clicking of the drive? If it is the clicking I don't mind.

I will use it as the main drive having part of and SSD acting as a cache for it.

Not a wise expenditure IMO. Get a Barracuda or Caviar Blue, use the saved $ and what you would spend on the cache SSD and buy a 120GB SSD to be the primary drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Storage:  Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($39.99 @ Microcenter)

Storage:  Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 250GB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($90.86 @ Amazon)

Total: $130.85

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 02:38 EST-0500)

Storage:  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $129.98

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 02:40 EST-0500)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Not a wise expenditure IMO. Get a Barracuda or Caviar Blue, use the saved $ and what you would spend on the cache SSD and buy a 120GB SSD to be the primary drive.

Storage:  Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($39.99 @ Microcenter)

Storage:  Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 250GB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($90.86 @ Amazon)

Total: $130.85

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 02:38 EST-0500)

Storage:  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $129.98

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 02:40 EST-0500)

OK that is a fair argument. In your opinion what drive would you go for? I know my SSD already and for the HDD I am looking at 1tb or 500gb.

OK that is a fair argument. In your opinion what drive would you go for? I know my SSD already and for the HDD I am looking at 1tb or 500gb.

I'm a fan of Barracuda because I've had better experiences with them over the years than WD Blacks. Caviar Blue are fine as well. 1TB is the sweet spot right now. Its tough to find anything smaller with a decent size cache that coupled with the lower density means they well perform far worse than the 1TB units. The cost differential between 500MB and 1TB is ~US$15.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say its going to be hella loud, especially compared to a WD black (Even though those are known to be loud)

As somebody with both of those in the house... Actually they are about the same.

Fun Fact: That big black thing on the Velociraptor is a heatsink! so it can get hot hot hot! I would advise getting a Seagate barracuda or a WD blue/black, because the Velociraptor can also get really loud, because if you thought a 5,200 RPM drive was loud?  your dealing with a 10,000 RPM drive here! so I would advise sticking to the basics.  Or spend your money on a Seagate hybrid drive, that would be the best of both worlds... or the best of both hard drives. 

As somebody with both of those in the house... Actually they are about the same.

In that case, what would you recommend?

In that case, what would you recommend?

I would not recommend a 1tb velociraptor unless it was $100. The difference is much less than it might sound. I got mine for $150 2 years ago, so back then it wasnt a terrible deal. I still kinda regret the purchase.

I would not recommend a 1tb velociraptor unless it was $100. The difference is much less than it might sound. I got mine for $150 2 years ago, so back then it wasnt a terrible deal. I still kinda regret the purchase.

Ok, so go with a 1tb black or a barracuda or something?

Ok, so go with a 1tb black or a barracuda or something?

that would be my recommendation, yeah.