One monitor or Two monitor?

So, I am curious. How many monitors do you guys use and why? Currently I am using two as I am in college learning Cyber Security, general networking and programming. I find it easy to have a second monitor on my left hand side so that I can use PowerShell and programming elements with ease. I know that some people use the portrait monitor for streaming chat and what not, but what are your purposes for using more than one monitor? Also, for those who use only one monitor, do you like it or are you wanting to increase the amount of space you have with your desktop? I would love to know your thoughts and to see your responses!

i had 2 now uses only 1 240hz now..gave the 60hz 1 away..=x...i don't do much so 1 is sufficient...when i had 2 the 2nd monitor is either off or playing youtube videos..xD

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

I only use 2 cuz my chromebox supports it

i can manage with 1, but 2 is always nicer and you can flex on them console peasants /s

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1 minute ago, Gegger said:

I only use 2 cuz my chromebox supports it

i can manage with 1, but 2 is always nicer and you can flex on them console peasants /s

Hey now, be nice lol Most console peasants are kids whose parents can't afford the cheaper option. LOL

6 minutes ago, ZephCloud said:

i had 2 now uses only 1 240hz now..gave the 60hz 1 away..=x...i don't do much so 1 is sufficient...when i had 2 the 2nd monitor is either off or playing youtube videos..xD

I have an Acer that is 144Hz. I bought it two weeks ago, I believe, it is amazing. I was using a 1080p 60Hz TV for the longest time. I AM NOT GOING BACK!

Just now, joev14 said:

Ultrawide baby. It's one monitor, but it's like two. ;)

I wished I could afford one of those bad boys. Currently my job limits me to buying second hand monitors and saving for good hardware lol BUT! I am glad that you like it. I have seen some nice builds using those. Currently, my Networking teacher uses an ultrawide and he brags to me about it once a month lol

Just now, Revenant Origin said:

I wished I could afford one of those bad boys. Currently my job limits me to buying second hand monitors and saving for good hardware lol BUT! I am glad that you like it. I have seen some nice builds using those. Currently, my Networking teacher uses an ultrawide and he brags to me about it once a month lol

Provided you're not looking for one that's over 60hz, you can actually find some decently priced used ones. I got mine for around $140.

Just now, joev14 said:

Provided you're not looking for one that's over 60hz, you can actually find some decently priced used ones. I got mine for around $140.

I picked up a 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor for $120. I like it so far but I will see if I can find one for said price.

2 minutes ago, Revenant Origin said:

I picked up a 24" 144Hz 1080p monitor for $120. I like it so far but I will see if I can find one for said price.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=ultrawide+monitor&qid=1572151803&s=electronics&sr=1-9

Not 144hz, but it is ultrawide and not bad for price. Mine was used, but mine was also a 29-inch.

1 minute ago, joev14 said:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-25UM58-P-25-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BV1XB2K/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=ultrawide+monitor&qid=1572151803&s=electronics&sr=1-9

Not 144hz, but it is ultrawide and not bad for price. Mine was used, but mine was also a 29-inch.

That is pretty nice. Looks like I am saving up for that one lol Thank you!

i have a 27" 4k and a 24" 1080p next to it in portrait mode. I used to have them both horizontal, but due to limited desk space, the 1080 is portrait.

It took a while to get used to, but now i prefer coding or writing documents on my portrait monitor

Normally use between 4-6. 

Trying to minimize so sticking to 4 now. But running two pcs is the main reason. 2 on each at a minimum. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Two 27" 1440p monitors, the amount of desktop space is just insane and I love every bit of it. Being able to have two full large windows open, say one for YouTube and another for an article or forum I'm browsing, plus having plenty of spare room to keep any monitoring software open, chat windows, file explorers, etc. Like at this point, if you told me I absolutely had to drop down to a single monitor, there was no workaround, I would buy something absolutely ridiculous like one of those 32:9 super ultrawide monitors. Or maybe just a 40" 4K display.

I considered replacing my main monitor, which is a 144Hz TN panel, with something a bit more modern and up to snuff, but monitor technology just isn't there yet for me to be interested in anything out there. Most VA panels can't actually hit response times low enough to meet their refresh rate and while the LG IPS monitor looks sharp, that contrast ratio is a bit disappointing. Not to mention, there's absolutely no real HDR in the price segment I'm looking for. I've had my setup the way it is for over a couple years now and I think it's probably going to stay that way for a couple more or one of my monitors craps out (and if they do, I'm probably just going to get that LG IPS monitor).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

12 hours ago, Derrk said:

i have a 27" 4k and a 24" 1080p next to it in portrait mode. I used to have them both horizontal, but due to limited desk space, the 1080 is portrait.

It took a while to get used to, but now i prefer coding or writing documents on my portrait monitor

Writing and coding on a portrait monitor has to be the best thing since pen and paper, in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Revenant Origin said:

Writing and coding on a portrait monitor has to be the best thing since pen and paper, in my opinion.

i love it. Often have my 27" split into 2 tabs for things like research and email or etc. 

I'm somewhat tempted to take the 15.6" screen from an old laptop to have above my 27", in case i want to watch a game or something in fullscreen while doing work