Why are "professional" laptops so expensive?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,

Oh I thought this was going to be about actual professional laptops with xeons and quadros, in which case the short answer is because of those xD

What you're seeing is a different situation.  Very mediocre hardware slapped with a "pro" moniker to try and sell it as a "lifestyle" product or some such nonsense.  To play to this, it will generally be thin, which means they need to use better binned, more efficient parts and spend more on R&D to make it even work, but also they can just charge more because it's thin and you have to pay for that privilege.

Judging by the existence of this post, you've seen through the BS already so that's good and out of the way.  My recommendation is to just avoid machines that you notice to be a part of this category.  As you said, there's more powerful options for less, and if these aren't giving you anything you value, then there's no reason to pay more for them.

Just wondering why the "professional" category laptops are so expensive. For example, Razer Blade Stealth has an i7 8565 GPU and for the GPU it has a MX 150 4GB. From what I know MX 150 is still a lot worse than a 1050, 16GB RAM etc etc. Another one is the ASUS Zenbook, that has an i7 8565 CPU but either has MX 150 GPU or just Integrated Intel Graphics, and again 16GB RAM etc etc.

My question is why are these laptops so expensive when there are "gaming" alternatives that also has minimalistic styling (if looks was the problem) that have the same specs but with a better graphics card like a GTX 1650 and above while costing cheaper. Point being ASUS TUF laptops, MSI GE/GL etc. These have i7 8650 CPU as well either GTX 1650 or 1660, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

Does the more "professional" laptop have some other unique features that make it worth more? Looking to buy a "professional" use laptop but this is confusing me.

Oh I thought this was going to be about actual professional laptops with xeons and quadros, in which case the short answer is because of those xD

What you're seeing is a different situation.  Very mediocre hardware slapped with a "pro" moniker to try and sell it as a "lifestyle" product or some such nonsense.  To play to this, it will generally be thin, which means they need to use better binned, more efficient parts and spend more on R&D to make it even work, but also they can just charge more because it's thin and you have to pay for that privilege.

Judging by the existence of this post, you've seen through the BS already so that's good and out of the way.  My recommendation is to just avoid machines that you notice to be a part of this category.  As you said, there's more powerful options for less, and if these aren't giving you anything you value, then there's no reason to pay more for them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, QRCodeKiller said:

Just wondering why the "professional" category laptops are so expensive. For example, Razer Blade Stealth has an i7 8

Most are just overpriced, but the stealth has an MX150 because of how thin it is 

and I think the stealth offers like a 4k display or something right?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

these "professional" laptops are usually just built slightly better and have just sleeker designs. likely these "professional" laptops are so expensive is because they can. they know that consumers are willing to shell out insane amounts of money for "professional" laptops so why not profit on it.

if you talk about true professional laptop like hp z-books, its due to its expensive xeons and quadros

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

1 minute ago, berwynhan said:

if you talk about true professional laptop like hp z-books, its due to its expensive xeons and quadros

that and the higher standard of QC that often go through actual pro product stacks.

If it's a real "professional" laptop it'll also come with a matching level service agreement and guarantee repair or replacement within a day or 2 if it fails instead of the usual consumer warranty that can leave you without your machine for 2 months.

If it doesn't... it's just BS marketing. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I see. Well I guess ASUS pulling an ASUS when the ASUS RoG laptop with an i7 9750H CPU and a 1660Ti only costs $30 more than the ASUS Zenbook with an i7 8565U and a MX 150 GPU.

Materials, build quality (while most gamers will settle for plastic businesses want that aluminum, steel, or magnesium), R&D for jamming everything into those thin and lights, business warranties and support, additional security devices and features, ruggedness, and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

i thought this was going to be about why things like elitebooks are expensive lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Those you mention are not professional laptop, pro laptop usually have xeons and quadros with ecc memory support, the screen support 10bit wider color gamut and comes in retail price of close to $5000.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I read professional as these fuckers for some reason ??

55C3A9BD-662F-4FF3-A8C5-02BB3ED8A370.jpeg

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD