Zen 2 build questions and recommendations

Bluuz

Looking to upgrade from my old ivy bridge build and have several questions:

Already have a 1080ti which will be used in this build.

Also have a fractal define r5 which I am considering swapping out

Money isn't an issue but I don't want to pay for luxury features I won't use. Aiming for the "high gaming tier, not quite overclocking enthusiast tier" level of parts.

Will likely get r5 3600x (since 3600 doesn't come with game promo). Plan to OC but nothing too crazy.

1. What are the differences between the types of motherboards? What are some recommendations?
  2. Looking to get a high end air cooler like a be quiet dark rock pro 4. Any other good alternatives? 
  3. What are some high quality micro atx cases?
  4. ram recommendations?

1. Different quality of components, power delivery, overclocking capability, etc.

B450 Tomahawk MAX is your best option for a well priced, well performing board

2. D15 is a good alternative

3. I'm a fan of the meshify c mini 

4. Never gone wrong with Corsair's LPX, but in reality just get anything that's 3000mhz +

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 hours ago, Bluuz said:

Looking to upgrade from my old ivy bridge build and have several questions:

Already have a 1080ti which will be used in this build.

Also have a fractal define r5 which I am considering swapping out

Money isn't an issue but I don't want to pay for luxury features I won't use. Aiming for the "high gaming tier, not quite overclocking enthusiast tier" level of parts.

Will likely get r5 3600x (since 3600 doesn't come with game promo). Plan to OC but nothing too crazy.

1. What are the differences between the types of motherboards? What are some recommendations?
  2. Looking to get a high end air cooler like a be quiet dark rock pro 4. Any other good alternatives? 
  3. What are some high quality micro atx cases?
  4. ram recommendations?

If you are going mATX then the MSI B450M Mortar MAX would be my suggestion. Works out of the box with the 3600X. 

No need for a high end air cooler if going with a 3600X. Something cheap like an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo would be fine.

I like the Fractal cases as well. The Meshify C Mini as mentioned above.

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT is good for overclocking. That is what Oalei is referring to above, although he put the wrong link up ?

Just make sure it has 'AES' in the part number like the ones below. Other than that any 3000MHz - 3200MHz CL15/CL16 kit would be fine. You can easily overclock it with the Ryzen dram calculator.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h37v6h/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k8g4d30aesek

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RWF48d/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k8g4d30aesck

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gLGxFT/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bls2k8g4d32aesbk