Decent motherboard for overclocking (LGA 1155)

Budget? Form factor? Used? New? Location? 

It's not all the title my guy

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Budget? Form factor? Used? New? Location? 

It's not all the title my guy

budget preferably under $100

form factor, idc but it would be nice to use micro-atx 

IDC on condition, so long as it works and I am in the US

1 minute ago, Chambersofsecret said:

budget preferably under $100

form factor, idc but it would be nice to use micro-atx 

IDC on condition, so long as it works and I am in the US

What cpu do you have? Why are you getting a board for a old platform?

Id just hunt ebay for a used board that has z68 chipset, but a good overclocking board won't be cheap, Id really try to just save up for a newer platform.

/routeur combo, I'm pretty sure they use GPON but you are right, I will call them to be certain.

Thanks a lot for all your help, I have googled a lot tonight and I think that the best solution is

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What cpu do you have? Why are you getting a board for a old platform?

Id just hunt ebay for a used board that has z68 chipset, but a good overclocking board won't be cheap, Id really try to just save up for a newer platform.

/routeur combo, I'm pretty sure they use GPON but you are right, I will call them to be certain.

Thanks a lot for all your help, I have googled a lot tonight and I think that the best solution is

I have a i5-2500k, and i have been recommended a z77 board (i think) but wanted a second opinion, and wanted to keep the cpu (it works fine for what I do, and should hold up for all of the games I want to play)

ya the cpu that is req for the most intensive game I want to play has the same performance as my 2500k

I have a i5-2500k, and i have been recommended a z77 board (i think) but wanted a second opinion, and wanted to keep the cpu (it works fine for what I do, and should hold up for all of the games I want to play)

I wouldn't bother then. The improvement with a overclock will be small, and you would be better with saving up for a newer platform.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I wouldn't bother then. The improvement with a overclock will be small, and you would be better with saving up for a newer platform.

well, what would you suggest?

i could try to sell my current pc (probably with some upgrades) for a bit of a buffer in terms of costs

Since you got a 2500K, Z68 route would be cheaper for you. Good Z77 boards are hard to get by. That being said, if you already have a Z68 board, dont even bother upgrading it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Since you got a 2500K, Z68 route would be cheaper for you. Good Z77 boards are hard to get by. That being said, if you already have a Z68 board, dont even bother upgrading it.

nope i have a oem motherboard (which is why i want to upgrade, with a x61 chipset

11 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

well, what would you suggest?

i could try to sell my current pc (probably with some upgrades) for a bit of a buffer in terms of costs

what is your full setup now? What tasks do you want to be faster?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

what is your full setup now? What tasks do you want to be faster?

I have a i5 2500k

dell optiplex 390 mobo

12gb ddr3 1333mhz memory

gt 1030 (i know)

250gb hdd (seagate)

500gb hdd (hitachi)

I am mainly trying to make it so I can play some other games, such as Beam NG. 

3 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

I have a i5 2500k

dell optiplex 390 mobo

12gb ddr3 1333mhz memory

gt 1030 (i know)

250gb hdd (seagate)

500gb hdd (hitachi)

I am mainly trying to make it so I can play some other games, such as Beam NG. 

What are you limited by in games? CPU or GPU? What is usage like in game? Id guess gpu will be limiting more.

Id get a ssd too, will make everything much faster.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you limited by in games? CPU or GPU? What is usage like in game? Id guess gpu will be limiting more.

Id get a ssd too, will make everything much faster.

Well with the older games i do play, im fine, the most my cpu or gpu stress is with loading 200fps on a 60 hz monitor or processing 170 mods in mc, but with beam ng the minimum gpu is a gtx 550, which preforms the same, but i have a destructive tendancy to shatter things on gsme, so minumum gpu wont cut it

As for the ssd, i will if i have extra change, but for now hdds are ok

Well with the older games i do play, im fine, the most my cpu or gpu stress is with loading 200fps on a 60 hz monitor or processing 170 mods in mc, but with beam ng the minimum gpu is a gtx 550, which preforms the same, but i have a destructive tendancy to shatter things on gsme, so minumum gpu wont cut it

As for the ssd, i will if i have extra change, but for now hdds are ok

What is the cpu and gpu usage in beam?

Get a ssd if possible, a 240gb ssd is around 30 bucks these days, and will make a much bigger improvement than any other upgrade.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the cpu and gpu usage in beam?

Get a ssd if possible, a 240gb ssd is around 30 bucks these days, and will make a much bigger improvement than any other upgrade.

Well beamng is largely cpu intensive with its physics, gpu intensiveness depends on details, which i am fine with lowering

Well beamng is largely cpu intensive with its physics, gpu intensiveness depends on details, which i am fine with lowering

What is the cpu usage in game?

Your won't get much more from a overclock though, its still an older archeture. Id just save up for a faster cpu + mobo + ram combo, look for used platforms that are a bit newer.

5 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

What would you suggest? It recomends 4th gen i5/7 for the cpu or maybe amd?

Why not try running it on your hardware? there is a good change it would run fine.

Id hunt around local used classifieds for a used haswell or rzyen system, there are often good deals found, but id try the game first.

As said before it's more efficient to update to a new platform, but I'll add my 2 sense, I would suggest getting a cheap used xeon off ebay something like a 1240-1270 and getting you hyper threading something cheaper and more likely to help then overclocking a 4 thread part

Going price seems to be 50 right now for a 4c/8t Xeon and should let you pull a bit more life out of the system, hell if you look around you can get a full system under 120, a few years back I got a Dell 1600 with 16gb ram, 1tb hdd, and a Xeon 1270 for 115,