PC crashing constantly, can't find any cause

Fausto315

In the past month my PC has been having a few issues, first it was some overclock stability issues that were admittedly probably my fault for not testing the overclock for stability well enough. Over the past 2 weeks, my PC has been crashing every day, it simply freezes, I get a bunch of electrical noise and I can't do anything and am forced to press the reset switch. It never gives me a blue screen or error code either, it just does this and nothing else. I was troubleshooting and set all of my BIOS to default. I did keep XMP on as I was under the impression it didn't really effect anything but even after my CPU clock speed and voltage were set to default settings (from a 4.0 GHz overclock) My PC continued to crash. The most recent time, I waited a little to reset it and noticed my monitors were very discolored, leading me to think maybe it's a GPU issue as I have noticed in a few games my FPS is not what it should be, for example in Destiny 2 I could swear i'm getting 20 fps lower than I was when it first came out and i'm only using half of my GTX 980's VRAM. It could also be XMP causing it although to my knowledge it shouldn't cause this big of an issue and my PC has been fine for years, it was overclocked to around 4.5 for about 3 years with no issues. At this point I have no clue what it is and it could be anything. I'm going to borrow my brothers PC tomorrow to troubleshoot the GPU issue and swap GPUs to see if theres a difference, however until then I have no clue what could be causing this. 

edit: my CPU is a 5820k and my ram is 4X4 16gb corsair vengeance 2400

edit 2: just happened again, usually it happens in game but I was just watching YouTube this time. Also I have XMP disabled now and it crashed, looking like a GPU issue. Just kind of surprised because there were no prior warning signs, no artifacting or anything just crashes.

If you have someone with spare GPU, try to swap it. Troubleshooting basics 101: if something starts to work fine after swapping only one part (at a time), then it's this part's fault.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

DDU and reinstall drivers as a troubleshooting step.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

9 minutes ago, Votivee said:

DDU and reinstall drivers as a troubleshooting step.

Doing that now, small weird thing, I've been playing games/watching YouTube for the past hour and the last time it crashed about an hour ago I noticed the VGA chord on my second monitor was kind of half in half out, It was still on but not plugged in all the way and I plugged it in all the way while my PC was frozen and it stopped making noise and was fine for a second and then I moved it again and it went back to freezing. It's likely unrelated and I don't see how this would cause a crash but since I fixed that I've had no crashed in the last hour. Likely just luck but I just found it interesting considering before that in the last 2 hours it's probably crashed 3 times