YouTube adverts

Just started watching an LTT video on YouTube and it was preceded by propaganda  advert presumably paid for by Chinese state media. It was supposedly “telling the truth about the Hong Kong protestors”. I skipped it after about 40seconds as it was beginning to annoy me. YouTube should IMO be not allowing political advertising of any sort, especially this kind of crap.

Are larger channels able to stop these kinds of advertisements or are YouTube totally in control of what they attach?

creators dont have any control really over what ads are served on their videos its all done algorithmically based on you as a user rather than the creator so i might see an advert on a video about the new land rover defender cause i look at a lot of landrover parts but somone else might see adverts about perfume on the exact same video cause google determins thats a more aproptiate advert for them. advers like the one you sore its likley that they pay for all ages and demographics.

I lurk a lot

YT ads are Geo specific, targeted bases on your preferences, or sometimes completely random BS because it's YT and they don't really care. The creator has no say over them. 

5 hours ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

Pretty sure it's Youtube that choose which ads to display, the creator doesn't have much say in it - at least that's how I think it is. 

Yeah I think so to, which actually is kind of odd when you think about it.  It's kinda funny in a sad way - the whole "ad-pocalypse" happened because advertisers didn't want their ads being associated with videos they didn't like, but what about youtubers having their videos associated with ads that they don't approve of?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

the last i checked there should be a setting in google ads or somewhere to report and blacklist

@nicklmg or whoever's in charge with company internet accounts

EDIit most definitely happened in the past

I would certainly hope the particular video I was served would be blacklisted. It was pure propaganda against the Hong Kong protestors. 

YT without Adblock is Cancer.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

36 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Way better than twitch. You can skip most of the ads after 5 seconds. I have no problem to disable adblock

Chinese media falls into five categories. 

1) state run media e.g. CCTV and it's western counter part CGTN

2) independent but censored media in mainland China. There are lots of them. They are censored yes but during politically relaxed period under hu jintao, courageous journalists will occasionally report on shitty things like schools serving rotten food in school cafeterias or tainted milk products. Many of these journalists risks imprisonment. 

3) independent and uncesnored media that's biased towards Beijing. E.g. South China Morning posts. These are mostly hongkong newspaper and various others that operate overseas. 

4) independent, uncensored, and neutral. Does this even exist?

5) independent, uncensored, and biased against Beijing. E.g. epoch times, Apple daily. These are mostly run by Chinese dissidents overseas or pro-democracy hongkong newspaper. 

All of the ones I pointed out as examples have their own YouTube channels.  I suggest watching everyone of them to get an unbiased picture, yes, even the state run news source. They may be propaganda but gives you a glimpse into the other side of the story. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 hours ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

@Phill104 get an ad blocker and you won’t see any ads at all.

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

Wish I could on my smart TV or on SkyQ box which is what I mainly use to watch YT. A few seconds of adverts befor I can hit skip I can live with, unless it is the garbage from chinese state media which just gets me riles. Not picking on the chinese here, I would say the same with any political crap fired at me from any nation. In this particular cae though the message and the way it was implied was enough to make anyone's blood boil.

1 minute ago, Phill104 said:

Wish I could on my smart TV or on SkyQ box which is what I mainly use to watch YT. A few seconds of adverts befor I can hit skip I can live with, unless it is the garbage from chinese state media which just gets me riles. Not picking on the chinese here, I would say the same with any political crap fired at me from any nation. In this particular cae though the message and the way it was implied was enough to make anyone's blood boil.

I could live with the Ad at the Beginning of a Video. But some Videos have multiple Ads every 10 Minutes...thats ridiculous. Every tried to hear an Audio Book with Ads?...

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

9 minutes ago, Praesi said:

I could live with the Ad at the Beginning of a Video. But some Videos have multiple Ads every 10 Minutes...thats ridiculous. Every tried to hear an Audio Book with Ads?...

I hear you there. I tend to use Audible or the excellent BBC Sounds app as they are both ad free.

21 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I think so to, which actually is kind of odd when you think about it.  It's kinda funny in a sad way - the whole "ad-pocalypse" happened because advertisers didn't want their ads being associated with videos they didn't like, but what about youtubers having their videos associated with ads that they don't approve of?

Reminds me when Linus ended relations with TunnelBear.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, Phill104 said:

https://pi-hole.net/

5 hours ago, Phill104 said:

Install a pi-hole

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|