Mod mic 5 electrical interference from ac adapter

Lotus.
Go to solution Solved by AAJoe,

@Lotus. Actually you want the TRS version of that cable:

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Extension/dp/B00RXNULH4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kabeldirekt+male+to+female+aux&qid=1562352210&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Note the difference in the number of black bands. I think in reality they'd both work, but the TRS cable is less likely to pick up any problems. Should resolve the issue :)

Hi!
I just made this account to hopefully get some insight into my issue. Just got mod mic 5, using with Sabrent usb external stereo sound adapter per recommendations from research, to eliminate potential noise. But I am getting an electrical interference buzzing that's sometimes quieter or louder. It seems to be better using omni-directional and worse with uni. I figured out it is from my laptops ac adapter. When i unplug it, it goes away. I heard this can be an issue. Theres not a lot I can find on it specifically. But only found a possible recommendation for trying out a ground loop noise isolator but that it still might not fix it or work even. another thing said to replace the part. but adapters cost quite a bit from the manufacturer so I don't want to spend that much for it to still interfere. (Also tried plugging the adapter into the wall only as well, still the same) I did order a ground loop noise isolator that will come in a couple days. but figured id try to see if anyone has any advice, if they think that might work or buying a new ac adapter would. tyia!

Sounds like grounding issues causing EMI, could be from the wall plug ground, the adapter of the laptop poor design and or motherboard engineering. Try on different outlet and or one with GFI switch, or go to like a coffee shop or commercial building and use one of those plugs to eliminate the cause is the grounding wire within the electrical outlet.

Heya - Well that's a pickle. It's certainly being caused by your power.... but there's semi good news.

We just launched the ModMic USB to "replace" the ModMic 5. I suspect it may eliminate this problem. The alternative is as Fusion says, try a different outlet. You can also test by removing all the extension cables from the ModMic 5. If the noise goes away you could try a different third party cable (Amazon Basics will do) - that could be it as well. The ModMic USB made a lot of improvements, not the least of which is revamping how we handle shielding on the cables.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

ty for your replies! so i took off the mute part and that helped a little. then i took off the extension part as you said and i believe that actually eliminates the interference. so an amazon basics will work fine? why would the mod mic cable have interference but another will not? is it sure? should i stick to amazon basics or would another brand be nice? i just dropped 70 on this, would hate to have to get the mod mic usb, but would have got that in the first place if i knew about it being improved. what should i look up for a third party cable exactly? 

@Lotus. Actually you want the TRS version of that cable:

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Extension/dp/B00RXNULH4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kabeldirekt+male+to+female+aux&qid=1562352210&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Note the difference in the number of black bands. I think in reality they'd both work, but the TRS cable is less likely to pick up any problems. Should resolve the issue :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!