The Day I Cabled My Home.

Dieman566

So this was a few months ago but I ran two cat 6 data points to each room in my house.  Heck, some rooms didn't even need it but I was on a roll and with a 305m roll of Cat6 cable.

Heck i'm no licensed electrician or licensed caber and what I am doing is technically illegal but you don't know my identity and I want to show off my setup.  Enjoy.

Woot mail

img0485j.jpg
img0524e.jpg

Mount that rack! Whoever tells me what uniform that is wins a cookie.
img0470pg.jpg
img0472rj.jpg

Running cat 6 to all rooms and RG6 to most rooms (my room and brothers hehe)

img0488tp.jpg
img0501cs.jpg
img0492y.jpg
img05182.jpg

img0520jj.jpg

My Coax mess (ghetto its cleaner now!)

img0540ct.jpg
img0537io.jpg

Noggins are a bitch (You guys will probably call them fireblocks. They are horizontal timber going accross the studs.)

img0509bv.jpg
img0516l.jpg

The rack, please note this is not all of the cables.  there is a total of 20 terminated here.

img0493n.jpg
img0511ga.jpg

This is what the finish looks like, 2x cat 6 for every room and 1x rg6 for some

img0523drn.jpg
img0537io.jpg

Terminating the Patch panel and installing gear in rack.

img0531i.jpg
img0530du.jpg
img0512ea.jpg
img0533ho.jpg

To this date.

img2238p.jpg

img2239c.jpg
Thanks to Linus for recommending the switch to me on his twitter.  Much love.

Yes this is what all the people should be doing, ditching wireless and running cables, good job :)

Since when is running cables by yourself illegal ?

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Rufee Im not sure where the orginal poster live. But generally here in the US you have to have building permits and inspections done when you do this kinda of work. If you dont have those then its technically illegal work.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yes this is what all the people should be doing, ditching wireless and running cables, good job :)

Since when is running cables by yourself illegal ?

Australia is very... Backwards.  The moment we are starting to roll out Fibre to the home the other party is wanting to ditch it and install fibre to the node.  

Rufee Im not sure where the orginal poster live. But generally here in the US you have to have building permits and inspections done when you do this kinda of work. If you dont have those then its technically illegal work.

In Australia all electrical or cabling work must be done by a licensed contractor.  I don't think the cable police will be knocking on my door anytime soon though.

I'm sure it's not really as complicated as I'm thinking it may be but where did you learn to to this? Are there any guides you followed etc?

Your countries are so complicated, no offence though.

But here where i live you can do pretty much anything and get away with it, i ran 50 meters of cabling in a flat building to my basement to run my servers there, and noone really cared.

ooloops:

Running ethernet cable is just as simple as running ordinary cable, just have some RJ-45 jacks handy and the crimping tool, there are many tutorials on the web, youtube on how to properly attach endings to the cables.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I'm sure it's not really as complicated as I'm thinking it may be but where did you learn to to this? Are there any guides you followed etc?

Youtube mainly but its extremely simple you just need to research and research, Heck I might even throw up a guide If I get time one day.

I have been naturally handy with DIY work and do want to be an Electrician when I finish school (Currently 17)

Your countries are so complicated, no offence though.

But here where i live you can do pretty much anything and get away with it, i ran 50 meters of cabling in a flat building to my basement to run my servers there, and noone really cared.

ooloops:

Running ethernet cable is just as simple as running ordinary cable, just have some RJ-45 jacks handy and the crimping tool, there are many tutorials on the web, youtube on how to properly attach endings to the cables.

Do not get me started on the stupid laws we have.  Anything inside your walls or roof is a no go zone, even though you own the house.  The way I persuaded my parents to letting me do this is "It will add value to the home", which I believe is true.

That's awesome!

Can you list all the things used (I.e. the switch brand/model, the box, etc)?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

you can say this back to me but your country has funny power plugs. im from the US and ours look like they saw something so terrifying they can never change there expression  yours looks like a racist drawing of an asian (no offence asians)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Honestly, I would be calling up a licensed electrician and getting them to double check your cabling. You don't have to worry about whatever government body dictates these laws. What you need to worry about is that if you have a fire and evidence is found that you've done your own cabling - It's relatively easy to see even after a fire - the insurance department will wipe its hands of you and leave you sitting on your ass with a burnt out house. 

Just a word of warning.. 

That's so awesome!  :wub:  That's my biggest dream for when I get my own house. I want a rack with proper cables to every room, and som proper Cisco equipment, UPS and space for NAS / servers!

Do it, the abilty to plug in anywhere is worth it.

That's awesome!

Can you list all the things used (I.e. the switch brand/model, the box, etc)?

Switch is a Netgear GS487t (Linus reccomended it on twitter) and the rack is just a 7RU rack.  All of the wall plates are australian style 2 or 3 gang.  The patch panel was a 16 port keystone patch panel but I replaced it with a 24 port keystone patch panel to enable future addition.

you can say this back to me but your country has funny power plugs. im from the US and ours look like they saw something so terrifying they can never change there expression  yours looks like a racist drawing of an asian (no offence asians)

Gotta be different because we have 240v outlets

Honestly, I would be calling up a licensed electrician and getting them to double check your cabling. You don't have to worry about whatever government body dictates these laws. What you need to worry about is that if you have a fire and evidence is found that you've done your own cabling - It's relatively easy to see even after a fire - the insurance department will wipe its hands of you and leave you sitting on your ass with a burnt out house. 

Just a word of warning.. 

Yeah i'd rather not spend the 300 dollars to have them to double check it.  The first time I got a cat 6 cable installed the cabler did a worse job than me and submitted the TCA form.  (If anything happens I can reference it and say he did it all).  Since data cabling is low voltage it will not create a fire, all the data cabling I did was 30cm away from electrical at all times and if It was closer the punchdowns were in shrouds. (see 9th picture).  I understand your warning and thankyou for it but everything I did was up to code.