Help! My laptop wont boot anymore!

CaptainChaos025

So i replaced the old thermal compound of my laptop, and during that proces i had to remove the small battery. But now it wont boot because the date is set to 2011, but the motherboard has a password and i dont know it, how do i get rid of it???

VideoCapture_20191017-210551.jpg

You are basically saying that there is a bios pwd that you don't know?

Just now, riacob said:

You are basically saying that there is a bios pwd that you don't know?

Yeah, my dad got it from some lottery at his company but now im stuck with this

Just now, riacob said:

Also, did you replace the battery?

I had to take it out, otherwise it would be impossible to replace the thermal compound

Try putting a new one in. If it doesn't work, it could be your hdd that died when moved.

1 minute ago, riacob said:

Try putting a new one in. If it doesn't work, it could be you hdd that died when moved.

But dude the date is set to the 10th of may 2011 and the time is far from off, coudlnt that be it?

So, removing the small battery caused the bios to reset, and you could have corrupted some sys files.

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

But dude the date is set to the 10th of may 2011 and the time is far from off, coudlnt that be it?

If you removed the CMOS battery, the internal clock would reset to some factory default. You'd have to get into bios to set it again. An "incorrect" time shouldn't prevent Windows from booting though, because it has no way of knowing what date it is until it can go online to check your local time against a time server (at which point it would simply update the internal clock)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Ofc if bios resets, date resets etc. Have you powered the system on without the battery?

If putting in a new battery doesn't help, your HDD (or corrupted OS, but it's rare) could be the issue.

I gtg now, I can't think of other solutions anyways. I'll check tomorrow if the problem was resolved.

Night. 

I dont have any new CMOS batteries for it, and the one that was inside of it (in the bios) it said that it had about 94% battery left. I can try to see if its a HDD problem though

Just now, riacob said:

I gtg now, I can't think of other solutions anyways. I'll check tomorrow if the problem was resolved.

Night. 

Thats fine dude im just really stressed rn since this is my ONLY school laptop that i have and i dont have money for a new one

1 minute ago, CaptainChaos025 said:

I dont have any new CMOS batteries for it, and the one that was inside of it (in the bios) it said that it had about 94% battery left.

In other words, you replaced it, you didn't remove it permanently, right? In that case you should be fine. Like I said, removing the battery temporarily will reset the computer's internal clock.

There might be some jumpers you can set to clear the bios, which should remove the password. You'd have to search online with your exact model/motherboard to see if it can be done. Here's a possible starting point: https://www.wondershare.com/computer-recovery/bios-password-cracker.html

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

There might be some jumpers you can set to clear the bios, which should remove the password. You'd have to search online with your exact model/motherboard to see if it can be done.

I know exactly 0 laptops in the past decade that support this. The BIOS password is almost always stored on the BIOS chip itself, clearing the CMOS only works on boards where this is not the case.

You all have also failed to ask incredibly basic and crucial questions.

What laptop model is it?

What version of windows is it running? (That BSOD could be XP, Vista, or 7)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

18 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

In other words, you replaced it, you didn't remove it permanently, right? In that case you should be fine. Like I said, removing the battery temporarily will reset the computer's internal clock.

There might be some jumpers you can set to clear the bios, which should remove the password. You'd have to search online with your exact model/motherboard to see if it can be done. Here's a possible starting point: https://www.wondershare.com/computer-recovery/bios-password-cracker.html

Ok i used the site and i unlocked it now! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Ok so a little update, Windows 7 (i inow i know this is a laptop from 2011 and its shit) still doesnt get past the starting windows menu and keeps crashing, so ive tried installing Windows 10, and the install went normal but now all i get is the ever so great blinking white bar :/ what now?

See if you can adjust your boot list in your BIOS to point at windows boot launcher or the drive where the OS is installed