Front Fan setup for Meshify C

Dipypang
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

There's just no point in installing a triple 120mm setup in that case unless it involves a radiator.  The bottom-most fan will blow the vast majority of its air onto the HDD cage and the PSU cables.  You won't notice any CPU/GPU temperature improvement whatsoever compared to a dual 140mm setup

The most natural position for dual front 140mm fans is the lowest position in both slots, which has one fan blowing air onto the GPU and the area right below it, and one fan blowing air straight onto the CPU and VRMs.

Not a Meshify, but the Define C that my secondary rig is in.  It's the same frame really, just a different front and I/O panel. 

Spoiler

946865174_Queeninsidebrightened.jpg.34d5f3286aae9b1ffe72aafe54337e0e.jpg

I brightened the picture but the bottom front corner is still quite dark.  That bottom fan is 1mm above the PSU shroud.

Perhaps this shows it better :

578344719_Queenbrightened.jpg.287be922c1f600f268613c79c698118d.jpg

Guys,

I just wondering about the front fan setup for Fractal Design Meshify C between:

- 2x 140mm front

Or

- 3x 120mm front

Does HDD and PSU in the bottom of the case need some fresh air to keep them cool all the way back inside the case?

Although PSU got it's own fan, but HDD doesn't. Will HDD get got for long usage.

HDDs really dont need it if its not being taxed out 24/7. Honestly, for most, it will come down to the looks. I personally think if you go with RGB/LED fans, have 3x120 will look better long term. I have the Meshify S2 and kind of wish I put my 360mm rad at the front instead of my 280 just for the looks and appearances. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

HDDs really dont need it if its not being taxed out 24/7. Honestly, for most, it will come down to the looks. I personally think if you go with RGB/LED fans, have 3x120 will look better long term. I have the Meshify S2 and kind of wish I put my 360mm rad at the front instead of my 280 just for the looks and appearances. 

I dont use rgb for the fans.

Noctua NF-A14 Chromax PWM for 14mm

Noctua NF-S12A Chromax PWM for 12mm

10 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

I dont use rgb for the fans.

Noctua NF-A14 Chromax PWM for 14mm

Noctua NF-F12 Chromax PWM for 12mm

then it truthfully doesnt matter. I personally would still go with the 3x120 in the front. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

42 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

then it truthfully doesnt matter. I personally would still go with the 3x120 in the front. 

Thanks for your opinion sir, i'll wait to see how other's :)

1 hour ago, Dipypang said:

Down to looks. Whether you like a clean closed upper compartment 

15.jpg.a1f30d96b890c12bcdecd9b021a04a1b.jpg

or prefer airflow onto the HDDs, which will be fine even without it (unless in a 24/7 NAS-like environment). But you get this weird opening instead

NF-S12A's would be quieter but I don't think they'd perform much better if at all. I'd recommend going with whichever is cheaper. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would go with three 120mm fans It's better for cooling gpu along with cpu rather than just concertinaing on upper half.

Tbh. I would go with some other fans with higher static pressure than Noctua NF-S12A like for ex. Arctic BioniX P120 PWM, SilverStone FQ121, Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM, Enermax DF Pressure (this has really good stats on paper for both airflow and static pressure though how good is in practice idk?).

Or if you want to spend more money you could go for Noctua NF-A12x25 one of best fans on market or Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon (over 2000rpm variants) those are superb top tier fans.

The higher static pressure helps push air better through rather restrictive mesh filter and it makes quite a difference in Meshify C.

There's just no point in installing a triple 120mm setup in that case unless it involves a radiator.  The bottom-most fan will blow the vast majority of its air onto the HDD cage and the PSU cables.  You won't notice any CPU/GPU temperature improvement whatsoever compared to a dual 140mm setup

The most natural position for dual front 140mm fans is the lowest position in both slots, which has one fan blowing air onto the GPU and the area right below it, and one fan blowing air straight onto the CPU and VRMs.

Not a Meshify, but the Define C that my secondary rig is in.  It's the same frame really, just a different front and I/O panel. 

Spoiler

I brightened the picture but the bottom front corner is still quite dark.  That bottom fan is 1mm above the PSU shroud.

20 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is exactly what i'm going for

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Reveal hidden contents

you still will get some extra air to gpu because psu shroud is perforated look at GamerNexus review of phanteks p400a it also has perforated shroud and 3x120mm was better than 2x140mm for gpu temps (you should take also in account those 3x120mm were weak stock fans while 140mm were Noctua's)

2 hours ago, Gandorfin said:

you still will get some extra air to gpu because psu shroud is perforated

It has perforations all right, but only where the PSU is located.  They only let air through if you have the PSU installed with the fan facing up.  If the fan is facing down, the holes are physically blocked off completely.  The PSU even touches the shroud, so no air can flow between PSU and shroud either.  There is literally zero cfm of airflow there.

Of course if you have the fan facing up, it will suck air from underneath the GPU instead of blowing air towards it. 

Excuse the dust near the edges, the PC hasn't been properly cleaned with a compressor for a while now. 

Spoiler

1466235886_DefineCshroudperforations.thumb.jpg.feb0c8e15daf1cdcc24d6268b4a0025c.jpg

That's with a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 650W (if I'm not mistaken) underneath the shroud, so a regular ATX form factor PSU. 

You can actually fit one 140mm and two 120 mm

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh