Solidworks on Ryzen 5 2400G iGPU

A friend of mine is looking at an entry level workstation for SolidWorks and MasterCAM, and after trying my hardest I convinced him to go desktop for the value.

What I've been wondering is whether the iGPU on the 2400G, which you could say is around RX 550 in performance, will run that software.

I've looked at Google and found a couple instances of people using the iGPU on their workstations:

https://www.thegeekyhippo.com/configurations/workstations/workstation-config1

However, I haven't found anything specific to the software my friend wants. Here at LTT we have experts from basically every field, so I wonder, does anyone have any experience using the APU on SolidWorks or MasterCAM?

As usual, thanks for the help! :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

the iGPU on the 2400G, which you could say is around RX 550 in performance,

I don't believe this is the case, as the 2400G and 2200G are beaten by the lowly GT 1030

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What I can say about Solid Works is that it does love OpenCL based hardware acceleration which AMD Radeon is known to excel at and a Polaris card like a RX570 can already provide you great results.

It may be stretching a bit too much though with an APU as you get less cache, VRAM is system memory shared and the quadcore ain't the best thing in the world.

In the lights of current pricing don't you think it might be doable to make (even if second hand) a ryzen 5 1600 + RX470 or similar sort of build? I can't give you % numer difference without looking it up but I do know it's very significant.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

A 2400g probably wouldn't be able to cut it with its limited amount of vram nor would the gpu itself be powerful enough. I believe benchmarks show a GT 1030 to be about 5-10% faster (depending on whether you overclock) than a 2400g and I seriously doubt a GT 1030 would run that software well (if at all)

Don't get me wrong, the igpu surprised many when it first came out - You can't beat a quad core CPU + a very powerful igpu for $100-$120. However, they still aren't quite to the point to where they can compete with mid grade dedicated graphics cards and I believe that would be the minimum for what you need.

I'd see if you can find a cheap RX 570 - that should give you very good results.

How entry level? My classmates got through first 2 years with 3 year old Macbooks so it's not demanding if you're just learning

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

How entry level? My classmates got through first 2 years with 3 year old Macbooks so it's not demanding if you're just learning

He's only using it for learning, won't run any heavy simulations honestly. The only thing I want the computer to do is not lag while manipulating the designs. I'm pretty sure for his use case it'll be fine, and I can probably convince him to buy a used 290/390 for like, 100 bucks.

12 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

What I can say about Solid Works is that it does love OpenCL based hardware acceleration which AMD Radeon is known to excel at and a Polaris card like a RX570 can already provide you great results.

It may be stretching a bit too much though with an APU as you get less cache, VRAM is system memory shared and the quadcore ain't the best thing in the world.

In the lights of current pricing don't you think it might be doable to make (even if second hand) a ryzen 5 1600 + RX470 or similar sort of build? I can't give you % numer difference without looking it up but I do know it's very significant.

I'll run used hardware by him. I bet we can make something happen with used, and I'm more reliable than warranty ?

12 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't believe this is the case, as the 2400G and 2200G are beaten by the lowly GT 1030

My bad. I forgot the 550 is above the 1030.

12 hours ago, steelo said:

A 2400g probably wouldn't be able to cut it with its limited amount of vram

To be fair, I can allocate additional RAM from the system to the Vega iGPU through the BIOS. 4GB on it and 12 for the system should be more than enough.

Oh shit, I just realized the 2400G is only 4C/8T. I really thought it was a 6 core. Bummer.

So far great food for thought guys.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Energycore said:

He's only using it for learning, won't run any heavy simulations honestly. The only thing I want the computer to do is not lag while manipulating the designs. I'm pretty sure for his use case it'll be fine, and I can probably convince him to buy a used 290/390 for like, 100 bucks.

I'll run used hardware by him. I bet we can make something happen with used, and I'm more reliable than warranty ?

My bad. I forgot the 550 is above the 1030.

To be fair, I can allocate additional RAM from the system to the Vega iGPU through the BIOS. 4GB on it and 12 for the system should be more than enough.

Oh shit, I just realized the 2400G is only 4C/8T. I really thought it was a 6 core. Bummer.

So far great food for thought guys.

I could very much be wrong but I believe you can only allocate 2 GB of RAM for the 2400g igpu. Remember though, if you have 8 GB of ram and dedicate 2 GB as vram, Windows only has 6 gbs it is allowed to use...that's not a whole lot

I have a 2400g with a RX 570 and so far the 4c/8t has been plenty for 1080/VR gaming. I've never come across an issue where the CPU isn't enough...

On 10/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, steelo said:

I could very much be wrong but I believe you can only allocate 2 GB of RAM for the 2400g igpu. Remember though, if you have 8 GB of ram and dedicate 2 GB as vram, Windows only has 6 gbs it is allowed to use...that's not a whole lot

I have a 2400g with a RX 570 and so far the 4c/8t has been plenty for 1080/VR gaming. I've never come across an issue where the CPU isn't enough...

I bet the CPU is going to be fine. I'm a little bummed it's 4/8 because I gave my friend the argument that it's 50% more cores than his current i5 8200U laptop (which is also 4/8).

The ryzen should still win out because that i5 does not turbo anywhere near its max 3.4GHz when fully loaded. But still, the additional core count was an easy sell.

Honestly I don't know how threaded Solidworks and MasterCAM are. I'll look into it.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Energycore said:

I bet the CPU is going to be fine. I'm a little bummed it's 4/8 because I gave my friend the argument that it's 50% more cores than his current i5 8200U laptop (which is also 4/8).

The ryzen should still win out because that i5 does not turbo anywhere near its max 3.4GHz when fully loaded. But still, the additional core count was an easy sell.

Honestly I don't know how threaded Solidworks and MasterCAM are. I'll look into it.

The CPU itself should be plenty adequate...what I'd be concerned about is the igpu...it's powerful for integrated graphics but you probably want at least a mid range dedicated graphics card.

R5 1600 + b450 + Vega 64 with HBCC on to 12g + 16g of ram cl 16 3200 any cheap kit will do. 

very powerfull combo to work. The vegas go around 200 now on ebay in the uk.

9 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

R5 1600 + b450 + Vega 64 with HBCC on to 12g + 16g of ram cl 16 3200 any cheap kit will do. 

very powerfull combo to work. The vegas go around 200 now on ebay in the uk.

2 questions though. How much is that and is it less than the target $500 for the full system and how will my non-gamer friend benefit from a Vega 64.

Wait, that was three questions xD

9 hours ago, steelo said:

The CPU itself should be plenty adequate...what I'd be concerned about is the igpu...it's powerful for integrated graphics but you probably want at least a mid range dedicated graphics card.

My friend told me yesterday he'd be buying around December. So I'm going to make a final build plan 2 weeks before he buys, and by then I hope I'll have more information on the GPU needs of his light Solidworks usage. Plus tech loses value fast, hopefully by then the entire build costs less than currently.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, steelo said:

A RX570 can be often found for under $120. I really dont believe the 2400g's igpu will cut it with solidworks.

https://community.amd.com/thread/233796

I actually looked into that article before and it seemed like a driver / silicon issue more than a performance issue, so I wasn't quick to use it as definitive proof that every Ryzen 2400G is going to have that problem.

I think one way to do it might be to ask a friend or acquaintance with a Ryzen 2400G to try the program out. I'll see what I can procure.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

I actually looked into that article before and it seemed like a driver / silicon issue more than a performance issue, so I wasn't quick to use it as definitive proof that every Ryzen 2400G is going to have that problem.

I think one way to do it might be to ask a friend or acquaintance with a Ryzen 2400G to try the program out. I'll see what I can procure.

Didn't even think of that...LOL.

I have a 2400g and can try it tonight to see how it runs. I know nothing about CAD programs though...

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Didn't even think of that...LOL.

I have a 2400g and can try it tonight to see how it runs. I know nothing about CAD programs though...

I'd be in your debt!

Thing is, my friend is going to work with very basic models. So I surmise that running through the tutorial should be a good enough gauge.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

I'd be in your debt!

Thing is, my friend is going to work with very basic models. So I surmise that running through the tutorial should be a good enough gauge.

I will give it a go! I have no idea how to create even the most basic of models, so I'll rely on demos and the tutorial.

20 hours ago, Energycore said:

I'd be in your debt!

Okay, so I was able to download the student trial version and I spent about an hour running through the tutorial. Keep in mind, with my very limited knowledge, I  only created the most basic 3D models, which included pivoting and resizing them. Even though I really had no idea what I was doing, everything seemed snappy and responsive. I'm not sure if the guy in the article had bad drivers or a defective igpu, but I experienced none of his symptoms. This was using my 2400g igpu and NOT my RX570. I ensured that my monitor was directly connected to the MB's VGA port and my RX570 GPU was disabled in the UEFI. I do have my CPU modestly overclocked to 3.8ghz on all 4 cores but I am limited with 8 GB of RAM.

Overall, I was surprised at the result and experienced no issues. However, again you must also take into account the tutorial 3D models I created were about as basic as they can get. I'm sure things will slow down proportionally with more intricate models.