What if new console supports dual OS - PS & windows

dgsddfgdfhgs

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN 

but specwise rumored ps5 specs can easily beat most mid range pc, they could really potential steal the whole market from pc gamers, even at $600+?

guys when time comes, are you ready dump your pc?

Can you upgrade your PS5 though? That is IMO the main advantage of getting a (budget) PC over a console, the ability to improve your system.

But as you said - this will never happen.. So it's quite difficult to discuss IMO.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Can you upgrade your PS5 though?

you cant upgrade your phone too, there is just adaption period

Just now, minibois said:

this will never happen..

its more of a political / supply- demand chain issue than practical issue lol

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you cant upgrade your phone too, there is just adaption period

We are talking PC vs. PS5.

Not sure how mobile phones are relevant in this conversation, seeing they have become more disposable now that a 180 euro phone will last you a couple years with ease (I'm not saying that's a good thing - to be clear).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

At one point, the PS3 did allow you to install other operating systems (OtherOS?), but they stopped allowing that, and what happened after that wasn't the greatest thing in the world for them. After all, how would they charge $60 per year for online multiplayer if you could just play on Windows? This is ignoring the fact that allowing Windows means having numerous competing platforms including the Windows store, itself.

Assuming they did do this, anyway, one problem with consoles is that, unlike PCs, once they release a console, they've basically locked into that performance target for a set amount of time. So, even if the PS5 is as fast or even faster than mid-ranged PCs by the time it's released, it wouldn't be throughout their entire lifespan.

They could release improved consoles incrementally like what they do with phones, now, but then if you want an upgrade, you have to re-buy the whole system (currently $600). Having to spend so much sort of negates the point of a console. Also, they'd have to find a way to support all of those consoles with their newer games.

Also, while specs are important, they aren't the only point in using PCs. Consoles lack in other areas PCs excel. For example, productivity features such as multi-monitor support and multi-GPU support are not present in consoles. Also, they're very minimal when it comes to USB ports and other I/O, so that limits your connectivity.

So I guess the answer is no. I like my PC. I like being able to upgrade it, and I like being able to run whatever software I want. I guess, unfortunately, with a console, you have little say in what comes out of that cardboard box. Being allowed to run whatever operating system I wanted on a console would be fantastic, but it wouldn't be a full replacement for a lot of people.

Pretty much depends on how much Sony is willing to lose on games and other software/OS based profits. Driver support is another thing. As even when they are using desktop-compatible hardware, it is still custom made and driver support would be depending on both Microsoft and Sony.

I could see them allowing use of or even making a Linux distro. But I doubt they would go on to support Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

but specwise rumored ps5 specs can easily beat most mid range pc

With a bunch of low clocked Zen cores? Most likely not, aside from games that can leverage lots of cores. The projected CPU from the get go was basically a nerfed 1700, and some Navi or Vega compute clusters tossed in.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Alternate Operating Systems?

On MY Games Console?

It's more likely than you think

Image result for playstation linux

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

10 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN 

but specwise rumored ps5 specs can easily beat most mid range pc, they could really potential steal the whole market from pc gamers, even at $600+?

guys when time comes, are you ready dump your pc?

Nope. A Console with specs frozen for 10 years will rapidly fall behind even the lowest-end PC after 3 years. At least in theory.

A better example is to look at the original Xbox. The original Xbox was barely different from a PC, in 2001. So the Xbox had a 733Mhz Pentium III, 64MB of RAM and a GPU that was roughly a Geforce3. Now what did a PC have in 2001? Remember, this is when Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.0 were also released. Pentium III's were 1.13Ghz, SATA had not been released yet, and USB 2.0 had not been released yet, and Dell was the largest computer manufacturer. So at the point in time, when the Xbox was originally released, it was only slightly behind where a top-end, non-HEDT PC might have been.

Fast forward to the PS4, and Xbox One. These systems are essentially identical with the PS4 having the slightly better GPU offering. They were released in 2013. What else was released in 2013? Haswell. Though people who purchased systems in 2013 likely had Ivy Bridge systems. Haswell was the last DDR3 offering. The PS4 uses DDR3 memory, so they belong to that generation (even if the Xbox One uses something else.) AMD didn't release any 8-core Jaguar parts for use in PC's, but the Steamroller Desktop chip has the same tech in it, but AMD didn't release an AMD-FX CPU based on it. So if you look at the previous generation Piledriver parts with 8 cores you can kinda get the idea where performance was on the CPU side.

Now hang onto those for 10 years, where are you now? The PC has leap frogged the console mainly on the GPU side.

Buying a game console is literately locking yourself in for a minimum of 5 years. This is perfectly fine if you only play games within the walled garden of the console. However (as I've stated elsewhere before) the game consoles are not PC's, and PC's allow you to play everything at better-than-console quality and without any unnecessary censorship. As a result, you rarely end up playing indie games, and can not access the vast majority of content that is out there already for PC's if you only game on a console.

The walled garden is only slightly less bad on the Mobile devices compared to consoles. Less bad, because the devices are updated annually, which means the games can benefit from better, stable platforms. However still bad because the hardware manufacturer is dictating what you are allowed to do with YOUR device.