How do different english accents sound to you?

Sammael

I live in Los Angeles, CA, so that is my baseline.  But I definitely have impressions of different accents.

virtually all english accents from UK sounds more proper to me, except for the chav accent seen here by the classiest character of all time, Kelly:

Australian accents sound ultra friendly because they always say "mate" every third word.  Mate to me in the US sounds like the kind of term reserved for deep friendship, perhaps even a REAL mate as in bf/gf, not randomly thrown around to strangers, but that is what they do, and it makes them sound more friendly.  They probably hate people they say mate too, and the targets have no clue in the US because of how friendly they come off.

The coolest english accent was unfortunately done by a deceased voice actor for a fictional character that was not even human, so it's not the kind of thing that will grace the earth in new human beings, but this was the coolest:

And of course the most backward sounding english accent is the southern accent seen in caricature here:

Thisah HAEERE?  THISUN?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I forgot the most soothing British accent, unfortunately tied to one man, but I hope that the UK produces more of this.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Most accents sound pretty comprehensible to me... And then there is welsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRVtWSOD5s

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

Like a wee bit of Scottish eh?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Angry scottish is the best:

Holy balls!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

virtually all english accents from UK sounds more proper to me, except for the chav accent seen here by the classiest character of all time, Kelly:

Not from Northern England, (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle), they sound anything BUT posh/proper.

Kelly in the video is an example of someone from North England (The lower-class sounding ones anyway), personally I can't stand it.

The "Chav" accent or "Chavs" is normally associated with people from East London / Essex, and is often interlinked with Cockney. Now it's just a general term for lower-class people.

I don't see why Americans think Adele has a posh accent, she sounds like a fucking chav here! (She's from North London). She even admitted she was "common as muck" in the UK

Having grown up and lived in East London all my life, I try to steer away from having a "Chav" or a Cockney accent and try to speak with an RP accent, (Recieved Pronounciation), however I end up trying too hard and sound like someone from the West Country. :rolleyes:

Main RigCPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x @ 4.7 Ghz w/ Corsair H115i Elite Capellix | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 | MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte Black) | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance RGB K95 | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 + Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB + Toshiba X300 4 TB

LAN Rig: CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz w/ Antec Kuhler H2O 920 | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 | MOBO: MSI Z87I Mini-ITX | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini-ITX | PSU: Corsair CX550 550W | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Not from Northern England, (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle), they sound anything BUT posh/proper.

Kelly in the video is an example of someone from North England (The lower-class sounding ones anyway), personally I can't stand it.

The "Chav" accent or "Chavs" is normally associated with people from East London / Essex, and is often interlinked with Cockney. Now it's just a general term for lower-class people.

I don't see why Americans think Adele has a posh accent, she sounds like a fucking chav here! (She's from North London). She even admitted she was "common as muck" in the UK

Having grown up and lived in East London all my life, I try to steer away from having a "Chav" or a Cockney accent and try to speak with an RP accent, (Recieved Pronounciation), however I end up trying too hard and sound like someone from the West Country. :rolleyes:

So Lauren Socha's brother was on this other show (I don't like his accent, it kind of annoys me, on her it sounded great because of the character she played [she kissed a gorilla])

He was paired with another actor that sounded FAR more proper:

Sometimes he sounded so proper it came across as if he was deliberately trying to put on that accent, is that what you mean by overdoing it?

I am from the North Carolina in the south east US and I know i have a fairly country southern accent, I don't hear it of course but when ever I go up to Philly to visit my brother I get told by everyone i sound so southern and country. I like the Scottish accent a lot but then again I am of sottish decent, along with  french Canadian and Scandinavian. I think the Urban New England accents get on my nerves the worst, like Boston, and New York city, they sound rude most of the time and they are rude most of the time at least the ones down here and they move down here to NC and then talk down to all of us that have lived here our whole life, and I am just like go back up and freeze your tail off if you can't do anything but complain about things down here. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Im going to bite....Since english is not my native language. Its actually the third language I learned after danish and german. I always imagined that the danish accent would sound like the worst english accent ever. I hate it but actual english speakers aren't that bothered apparantly.

Personally can't stand new york accents, but find some southern accents to be charming.

Oh...French Women speaking english=boner.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

South England accents are good, but the further north of Britain you get the more trashy it sounds. I have a very mild Scouse accent, it doesn't sound proper at all. If I speak to someone outside of the UK I sometimes have to repeat myself.

Spend a week on a boat with some scots, a geordie, a Brummy, an Essex boy, a Londoner, two Scousers (myself included) someone from Wales and someone from Ireland, and you will know what accents can be like ;)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I can't even tell what she's saying.. 

Hahaha I know! Here's a transcript of what is audible:

- When I... When I sleep some there which I tell how that feel...

- Aye but it is there... It is there... But the tha theyre eah path doodah dadah?!

- Well...

- Goo tad! When back so good nügge koni seven seventy finally got the balls theigmatic co isewanof turasis! It's clear! It's clear no au beep keep et guess we get tho agui seven she's beep And they're honestly... And you know what? What's the point? And you're gonna hah-og-hyah over next couple days. When you're no... When you're no nee Kerry minera be bobblin in green, you're gonna come bubblin green, you undah knees

- How?? Es meetis always very sad.

- And younna boot .... Where did I sit? Where did I sit?

- Man I dun wanna talk to ye.

- Scumbag, scumbag...

- I dun wanna talk to ye...