G-Sync Not Working Correctly!

Randomizer23

Hey guys so I currently have an AOC G2590FX and it is gsync compatible certified by nividia but for some reason on all games, whenever my fps is near 144hz I get some screen tearing. When I lock my FPS to say 60, the tearing goes away. It completely goes away at around 115fps. There is no screen tearing on borderless fullscreen but there is some laggines. Ive attached a video showing what it looks like. Look for it to the right of my character in this game.

Video: 

While I don't have first hand experience with Nvidia, it's sounds just like what I dealt with on my Amd hardware. I have to cap my games' frame rates to 125 (have a 155hz monitor). If I set my cap just one frame higher, I will experience occasional screen tearing. Frame capping software (be it in-game or something like riva tuner) isn't perfect and will often swing much higher than your cap at times. Perhaps could be your issue?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

What cable are you using? Do you have the Gsync correctly set up in Nvidia panel and freesync on in monitor settings? Gsync on, vsync on in global settings, FPS capped using rivatuner or similar? Cheers!

I have tried to look it up, but I'm struggling to find the information. Does your monitor have a built-in FPS counter you can enable? If so, you can use that to determine if you're simply overshooting your g-sync range.

For instance, I set my cap of 125 so that it occasionally bounces up to 155 and back down, typically resting in the 140's. When I set it higher, the OSD FPS counter will get pinned to 155, in which case it's actually outputting 156 or higher, which results in the discarded frames and thus tearing. You can fix it by enabling v-sync as Envit0 mentioned. I personally don't like that method as v-sync increases input lag quite a bit.

On the subject of input lag and as an addition to my previous post, you don't want to use RTSS to cap frame rates unless your given game absolutely doesn't have an in-game option. It will always increase your input latency. See here:

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

14 hours ago, Envit0 said:

What cable are you using? Do you have the Gsync correctly set up in Nvidia panel and freesync on in monitor settings? Gsync on, vsync on in global settings, FPS capped using rivatuner or similar? Cheers!

Yeah Im using riva tuner I have free sync on in my monitors osd and I have gsync enabled for full screen applications. I dont have vsync enabled though. I dont see why i would need it. Thanks!

Edit: im using a dp 1.4 cable

6 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I have tried to look it up, but I'm struggling to find the information. Does your monitor have a built-in FPS counter you can enable? If so, you can use that to determine if you're simply overshooting your g-sync range.

For instance, I set my cap of 125 so that it occasionally bounces up to 155 and back down, typically resting in the 140's. When I set it higher, the OSD FPS counter will get pinned to 155, in which case it's actually outputting 156 or higher, which results in the discarded frames and thus tearing. You can fix it by enabling v-sync as Envit0 mentioned. I personally don't like that method as v-sync increases input lag quite a bit.

On the subject of input lag and as an addition to my previous post, you don't want to use RTSS to cap frame rates unless your given game absolutely doesn't have an in-game option. It will always increase your input latency. See here:

I always use riva tuner to cap my fps at my monitors refresh rate and ignored this screen tearing issue but I hoped that you guys would have a fix for me to try. Ill take a look at that video

4 hours ago, Randomizer23 said:

-snip-

The monitor is using FreeSync. 

While it is GSync compatible, there is a certain difference. 

On many Freesync monitors even though the range is set up to 144FPS, its not consistent and in many monitors the range can be 2Hz to 6Hz lower (on the worse ones). 

On actual GSync panels the range is consistent and it works to the max Hz of the monitor. 

This one is GSync certified so I assume it has been certified by NVIDIA and it should be at the very least be able to handle it very close to the max refresh rate. 

Looking at your FPS, you're pushing it to the max. Try to cap your FPS at around 142 instead and see if that works. 

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

The monitor is using FreeSync. 

While it is GSync compatible, there is a certain difference. 

On many Freesync monitors even though the range is set up to 144FPS, its not consistent and in many monitors the range can be 2Hz to 6Hz lower (on the worse ones). 

On actual GSync panels the range is consistent and it works to the max Hz of the monitor. 

This one is GSync certified so I assume it has been certified by NVIDIA and it should be at the very least be able to handle it very close to the max refresh rate. 

Looking at your FPS, you're pushing it to the max. Try to cap your FPS at around 142 instead and see if that works. 

Ok thanks im not home rn but i will test it once i get back

Hey so I just tested this and there is still screen tearing at 142 fps. Anything else you can think of?

really no need in reposting thread after thread.

you can bump a thread after 24hrs, but SPAMming the forum just isn't allowed.

all threads merged to this one.

21 minutes ago, airdeano said:

really no need in reposting thread after thread.

you can bump a thread after 24hrs, but SPAMming the forum just isn't allowed.

all threads merged to this one.

Ok ty this problem has been driving me crazy went a bit trigger happy

The reason for suggesting v-sync is to keep your frame rate within your variable sync range. It is by far the easiest way to fix the issue you're having. And to be clear, this isn't exclusive your setup; this is simply the current state of variable refresh technology. Your particular monitor has a range of 30hz to 144hz. If your frame rate drops below 30 or rises above 144, you have exited it's range and will therefore introduce tearing as if you don't have g-sync at all. Enabling v-sync forces your monitor to draw only full frames when your frame rate is 145 or higher. The important thing to note is that this is the only time v-sync does anything on a variable refresh rate system. As long as you remain in your g-sync range, v-sync will have zero effect. It is strictly used to eliminate tearing when you are over your max refresh rate. But again, as I stated before, both v-sync and riva tuner introduce input lag. If it's an option for your particular game, in-game fps limiters are the best way to go.

These are basically your only 2 options to fix this:

1) g-sync ON, v-sync ON, no fps cap

-or-

2) g-sync ON, v-sync OFF, 140 fps cap (may require tweaking to find your optimal cap number)

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

5 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The reason for suggesting v-sync is to keep your frame rate within your variable sync range. It is by far the easiest way to fix the issue you're having. And to be clear, this isn't exclusive your setup; this is simply the current state of variable refresh technology. Your particular monitor has a range of 30hz to 144hz. If your frame rate drops below 30 or rises above 144, you have exited it's range and will therefore introduce tearing as if you don't have g-sync at all. Enabling v-sync forces your monitor to draw only full frames when your frame rate is 145 or higher. The important thing to note is that this is the only time v-sync does anything on a variable refresh rate system. As long as you remain in your g-sync range, v-sync will have zero effect. It is strictly used to eliminate tearing when you are over your max refresh rate. But again, as I stated before, both v-sync and riva tuner introduce input lag. If it's an option for your particular game, in-game fps limiters are the best way to go.

These are basically your only 2 options to fix this:

1) g-sync ON, v-sync ON, no fps cap

-or-

2) g-sync ON, v-sync OFF, 140 fps cap (may require tweaking to find your optimal cap number)

Thanks for the info. In the video i was running at 143 fps which is under my 144 limit so how was there tearing? Do I have a defective monitor or are all gsync/ gsync compatible monitors like this?

The problem comes from how frame limiters work. It's not like a hard limit where it totally disallows frames beyond the set maximum. It instead just tries to keep it near what you set, but will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. Furthermore, the amount of frames your fps counter says is being spit out does not indicate how many frames your monitor is receiving, and that's an important distinction. That's one of the reasons why I suggested using your monitor's OSD to measure it's refresh rate. They will almost never match in my experience. If you'd like, I could take a picture of my monitor's OSD to show you what I mean.

Since you said locking your fps to 60 fixes the tearing, try setting your fps cap to 140, then step down in increments of 5 until the tearing completely goes away. I'd be interested to know what number you come up with. Most of the threads I read when first getting into variable refresh rate monitors claimed that 2-3 under the monitor's max should be correct, but that never worked for me. I had to go a whopping 30 under to prevent the overshoot. Again though, I'm coming from the AMD side of things which may not translate perfectly for you, but it should get you headed in the right direction.

Edit: I've looked up all your OSD settings, and it doesn't appear your monitor has a built-in counter, so you can ignore all of that.

Also, here's my setup in case anyone is interested since some of my info is merely anecdotal: Dell S2719DGF running at 1440p/155hz on a reference Vega 56.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

33 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The problem comes from how frame limiters work. It's not like a hard limit where it totally disallows frames beyond the set maximum. It instead just tries to keep it near what you set, but will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. Furthermore, the amount of frames your fps counter says is being spit out does not indicate how many frames your monitor is receiving, and that's an important distinction. That's one of the reasons why I suggested using your monitor's OSD to measure it's refresh rate. They will almost never match in my experience. If you'd like, I could take a picture of my monitor's OSD to show you what I mean.

Since you said locking your fps to 60 fixes the tearing, try setting your fps cap to 140, then step down in increments of 5 until the tearing completely goes away. I'd be interested to know what number you come up with. Most of the threads I read when first getting into variable refresh rate monitors claimed that 2-3 under the monitor's max should be correct, but that never worked for me. I had to go a whopping 30 under to prevent the overshoot. Again though, I'm coming from the AMD side of things which may not translate perfectly for you, but it should get you headed in the right direction.

Edit: I've looked up all your OSD settings, and it doesn't appear your monitor has a built-in counter, so you can ignore all of that.

Also, here's my setup in case anyone is interested since some of my info is merely anecdotal: Dell S2719DGF running at 1440p/155hz on a reference Vega 56.

Would It just be best to use vsync in conjunction with gsync?

36 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Ok something weird is happening now i disabled gsync from my nvidia control panel and i started up the witcher 3 im running at about 94 fps and cant see any screen tearing. Why does this have to be so complicated lol

8 hours ago, Randomizer23 said:

Would It just be best to use vsync in conjunction with gsync?

For ease, yes. That alone will fix it with a slight input lag penalty. If that lag is imperceptible to you, go for it.

8 hours ago, Randomizer23 said:

Ok something weird is happening now i disabled gsync from my nvidia control panel and i started up the witcher 3 im running at about 94 fps and cant see any screen tearing. Why does this have to be so complicated lol

Woo... Not sure what to make of that one. It's possible you're simply not noticing it. Anything other than a perfectly timed refresh should result in tearing. Did you have v-sync enabled?

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

6 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

For ease, yes. That alone will fix it with a slight input lag penalty. If that lag is imperceptible to you, go for it.

Woo... Not sure what to make of that one. It's possible you're simply not noticing it. Anything other than a perfectly timed refresh should result in tearing. Did you have v-sync enabled?

Nope. Another thing I launched bf1 and capped my fps to 141 and enabled vsync through the nvidia control panel which seems to be what most people are doing on the internet and there was no screen tearing. Now I’m just worried that vsync has kicked in because my FPS fluctuates from 136 to 141 so Gsync may not even be doing anything

Enabling v-sync and setting a frame rate cap are redundant in regards to this specific issue. Using both doesn't necessarily hurt anything, however.

You will never get tearing with v-sync on, whether you use g-sync or not. But with g-sync disabled you're not getting the best experience possible and defeating the purpose of having a variable refresh rate monitor.

To reiterate, G-sync is a must to be enabled and covers the range of your monitor, in this case 30-144. V-sync or frame rate cap is needed to keep the frame rate from going beyond 144.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

13 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Enabling v-sync and setting a frame rate cap are redundant in regards to this specific issue. Using both doesn't necessarily hurt anything, however.

You will never get tearing with v-sync on, whether you use g-sync or not. But with g-sync disabled you're not getting the best experience possible and defeating the purpose of having a variable refresh rate monitor.

To reiterate, G-sync is a must to be enabled and covers the range of your monitor, in this case 30-144. V-sync or frame rate cap is needed to keep the frame rate from going beyond 144.

Which one would you recommend I use as I stated before in the video when I cap to 142 I still get screen tearing but when I use Gsync and vsync I don’t get any tearing

57 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Which one would you recommend I use as I stated before in the video when I cap to 142 I still get screen tearing but when I use Gsync and vsync I don’t get any tearing

As stated earlier, V-sync is the easiest implementation. Utilizing a frame rate cap will give a more consistent experience as far as frame times and input lag (and has the added benefit of reducing wasted GPU load). Personally, I would use the frame rate cap, but it will take some experimentation on your part to get it set correctly. Your cap of 142 may simply not be low enough. As you stated in the original post, 115 eliminates your tearing. I would start at 114 (30 less than your monitor's max), then do some testing as you slowly move your frame rate cap upwards. When you experience tearing, move it back down and then never worry about it again. :)

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

7 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

As stated earlier, V-sync is the easiest implementation. Utilizing a frame rate cap will give a more consistent experience as far as frame times and input lag (and has the added benefit of reducing wasted GPU load). Personally, I would use the frame rate cap, but it will take some experimentation on your part to get it set correctly. Your cap of 142 may simply not be low enough. As you stated in the original post, 115 eliminates your tearing. I would start at 114 (30 less than your monitor's max), then do some testing as you slowly move your frame rate cap upwards. When you experience tearing, move it back down and then never worry about it again. :)

How does this explain the way that Gsync with vsync on and an FPS cap of 141 emliminates the tearing? I don’t want my frame to go that low lol........ do you think that the reason there’s no tearing is because vsync is enabled? And Gsync is not doing anything?

As I mentioned earlier, frame capping software is not accurate. It can swing wildly above the cap you set, regardless of what your fps counter says. Hence why setting it lower eliminates your tearing.

If g-sync is enabled, v-sync won't do anything (as if it's not even on) unless the frame rate goes beyond you monitor's maximum. They work in tandem to eliminate tearing at all points, but staying within your g-sync range is optimal.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

14 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

As I mentioned earlier, frame capping software is not accurate. It can swing wildly above the cap you set, regardless of what your fps counter says. Hence why setting it lower eliminates your tearing.

If g-sync is enabled, v-sync won't do anything (as if it's not even on) unless the frame rate goes beyond you monitor's maximum. They work in tandem to eliminate tearing at all points, but staying within your g-sync range is optimal.

Ok so does this mean that when I cap my FPS at 141, vsync was being used because as u said my FPS could be way higher

That is correct. And if you're ok with your current gaming experience in both input feel and lack of tearing, you can simply leave it at that.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

21 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

That is correct. And if you're ok with your current gaming experience in both input feel and lack of tearing, you can simply leave it at that.

Ok thanks!

Sure thing. Enjoy your gaming.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig: