G-Sync Not Working Correctly!

Randomizer23
On 10/8/2019 at 5:28 PM, Kid.Lazer said:

The problem comes from how frame limiters work. It's not like a hard limit where it totally disallows frames beyond the set maximum. It instead just tries to keep it near what you set, but will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. Furthermore, the amount of frames your fps counter says is being spit out does not indicate how many frames your monitor is receiving, and that's an important distinction. That's one of the reasons why I suggested using your monitor's OSD to measure it's refresh rate. They will almost never match in my experience. If you'd like, I could take a picture of my monitor's OSD to show you what I mean.

Since you said locking your fps to 60 fixes the tearing, try setting your fps cap to 140, then step down in increments of 5 until the tearing completely goes away. I'd be interested to know what number you come up with. Most of the threads I read when first getting into variable refresh rate monitors claimed that 2-3 under the monitor's max should be correct, but that never worked for me. I had to go a whopping 30 under to prevent the overshoot. Again though, I'm coming from the AMD side of things which may not translate perfectly for you, but it should get you headed in the right direction.

Edit: I've looked up all your OSD settings, and it doesn't appear your monitor has a built-in counter, so you can ignore all of that.

Also, here's my setup in case anyone is interested since some of my info is merely anecdotal: Dell S2719DGF running at 1440p/155hz on a reference Vega 56.

So I am having this issue with my 3090. Is this normal behaviour? Monitor LG 27GL850 Gsync compatible.

In Warzone if I cap at 140hz my monitor basically locks to 144hz. With Vsync on there is no tearing, but am I then getting input lag? With no vsync just gsync locked to 140 my monitor still is locking to 144hz and I get tears and both scenarios it doesn’t feel like it is perfectly smooth.

Here is a couple examples of my monitor HZ vs framerate. I am locked to a rock solid 65fps here but I am fluctuating a lot on my OSD hz. 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Rbk_3 said:

I am locked to a rock solid 65fps here but I am fluctuating a lot on my OSD hz.

What you're seeing is exactly framerate discrepancy I mentioned before. I'm not entirely sure, why that happens, although it could be as simple as the counters refreshing out of sync.

On 12/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Rbk_3 said:

With Vsync on there is no tearing, but am I then getting input lag?

Correct. Using V-sync fixes the tearing when your frame rate exceeds your max refresh rate, but you gain input lag when those extra frames are thrown out.

Are you capping your frames in-game? That is the best way to to do it, but not all games support it. I'm unfortunately not familiar with Warzone as I don't play it. Regardless of where/how you do it though, if you place a cap but are consistently hitting 144 on your monitor, the cap is being overshot, which then causes your tearing. Try lowering your cap a large amount, to say, 125. You can then see what your counters show and about how much overshoot you typically get.

For example, say you set it 125. In game, you notice the monitor counter maxes out at 133. So you know it gets about 8 fps too high. So you should be able to set your cap at 136, and be good to go.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

3 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

What you're seeing is exactly framerate discrepancy I mentioned before. I'm not entirely sure, why that happens, although it could be as simple as the counters refreshing out of sync.

Correct. Using V-sync fixes the tearing when your frame rate exceeds your max refresh rate, but you gain input lag when those extra frames are thrown out.

Are you capping your frames in-game? That is the best way to to do it, but not all games support it. I'm unfortunately not familiar with Warzone as I don't play it. Regardless of where/how you do it though, if you place a cap but are consistently hitting 144 on your monitor, the cap is being overshot, which then causes your tearing. Try lowering your cap a large amount, to say, 125. You can then see what your counters show and about how much overshoot you typically get.

For example, say you set it 125. In game, you notice the monitor counter maxes out at 133. So you know it gets about 8 fps too high. So you should be able to set your cap at 136, and be good to go.

I have tried capping in game, with RTSS and in the NVCP and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I was playing last night and even if I cap to 125hz it will shoot all the way up to 144hz occasionally. This wasn't happening with my 2070 (or maybe it was? I never really got above 120fps in games). Someone gave me a link to a program that adds a line with the monitors refresh rate to RTSS called RtssNvidiaVblankStatus.exe. I am going to try that and confirm for sure that what my OSD is telling me is accurate. 

I actually just ordered an Oddessy G7 today to test out and that is 240hz so I shouldn't be bumping into my monitors max cap. 

Could be a driver/game oddity since you didn't have a problem with your old card (and old driver). Although, as you said, it might not have had the horsepower to manifest this particular issue.

Back when I made the original post you quoted, I had to cap at 125 to prevent overshoot on my 155hz monitor. With both game and driver updates in the last year since then, I can now cap the exact same hardware at 150, and it works just fine. So I definitely wouldn't rule out software, which unfortunately is waiting game.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

21 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Could be a driver/game oddity since you didn't have a problem with your old card (and old driver). Although, as you said, it might not have had the horsepower to manifest this particular issue.

Back when I made made the original post you quoted, I had to cap at 125 to prevent overshoot on my 155hz monitor. With both game and driver updates in the last year since then, I can now cap the exact same hardware at 150, and it works just fine. So I definitely wouldn't rule out software, which unfortunately is waiting game.

Yea I am thinking it is probably a 3000 series issue and or the drivers since the 3000 series was released. I couldn't' even use the drivers from Sep.17 on for my 2070 cause it seriously broke my card. I created a ticket with Nvidia today so they are aware of the issue. We will see how the G7 works for me. 

Promising to know that your monitor was eventually fixed through drivers. I was really enjoying Warzone on my 2070 but since I got this 3090 I haven't been able to sit down and enjoy myself at all. Last time I am being an early adopter. 

Edit: Doing some research, this guy is talking about the G7 and his HZ are jumping around like crazy despite his framerate being 110fps they are jumping up to 240HZ