Need help with server consturction; donations/crowdfund options

Phas3L0ck

I'm working to build my new server, and have the essential parts as of now, but I've run out of money to get more parts, and no way to get necessary fund$ right now 'cause I don't have a job (been trying to get one for 2 years, no luck. Living in the worst possible area, and people are A$$H0LES and won't take anyone who's only a high-school graduate even for the most basic positions!) so I need help getting something to boost my project.

Here are the basics:

Since I began assembly of the system over a year ago, I'd estimated the total combined project cost at $15,000 which accounts for optional expansions and margin or error such as wrong or redundant parts, and sales tax. I watch market values of parts all the time and, though minor details of my original plan have changed, the total cost estimate DOES remain the same.

I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I thought I'd go ahead and at least try. I have a pretty good start so far, just look at the attached component list for a generalization of where I am. Active specs of my server can be found on my profile.

Currently, I've spent $3,000 assembling the base platform, with the planned storage array recently complete and operational.

It'll take another $6,000-10,000 at least to get the system fully operational with CPU, RAM, and minor add-ins (depending on market prices and how conservative I end up being on things like RAM and peripherals).  If I could at least get the necessary CPU units (and a pair of RAM sticks to operate both sockets) I could have the base server up and running for just about everything I need, and all other components could be reasonable added at a later date as my budget allows.  I need 2x Xeon E5-2687W V4 chips, each costing a little over $2,000-- so let's say $5,000 total to get the 2x CPUs and a pair of RAM sticks, (refer to attached document) accounting for changing prices and sales tax. That's what I need the most right now.

RULES FOR RESPONSE TO THIS POST:

- KEEP IT RELEVANT: Please, focus on the base problem only-- I want to hear if anyone is able and/or willing to send my project in a positive direction

- STAY OUT OF MY HUMAN PROBLEMS (MYOB!): I don't want to hear anything about getting jobs/careers you think could work for me in my general area-- you don't know my full situation and it's none of your business anyway. Those who violate this rule will be reported to the mods for harassment.  And ANYONE who even attempts to push their BS about applying to some food joint will be PERMANENTLY BLOCKED from access to my profile and posts!

- IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE, GO AWAY!: I welcome all questions and meaningful ideas, that's why this forum exists. But please, refrain from saying things like "why not just do this-- or that..." or "you could have just... xyz..." and no spam like "if you do... x... then maybe... something..." (sorry if that sounds vague, did my best to give examples of what I don't want to see or hear)

NOTE: I understand if those if you reading this question my need to write such rules in with this post, but believe me I have good reason. I'm sick of getting $H1T from users that don't know me and can't be bothered to stay on topic, so I'm spelling out my policy (in reasonable familiarity with the LTT forum's TOS) to hopefully encourage responses to remain on track and not deviate to an irrelevant sub-topic.  Also, keep in mind this is actually the short version of my post, so please re-read rule 3 before you give me that lousy "TL:DR" response.

*To the mods, I am posting in accordance with TOS and this post is for information and brainstorming only. DO NOT think that because you see the $ symbol I am by any means asking users for financial support, because I'm not. I am asking for guidance into a direction that may possibly lead to eventual funding of some sort, and that's it. (it would be nice, but I keep those conversations private and leave the people to decide for themselves if they want part of what I'm doing. I will not engage individuals in such conversations unless they have consented to it, and I will NEVER contact individuals asking for money, especially through the forum-- I find it intrusive and illegal.)

To answer a couple potential questions, yes I've thought of crowdfunding, but A: what am I supposed to tell people? and B: My network uplink is limited and practically useless to have a server running even a single remote user, knowing the requirements of modern workloads...

Yes, a couple of extras can be easily cut out of my build plan, but that doesn't help with what I simply don't have to get the remaining parts that I need.

No, ordering additional bandwidth is neither helpful in anyway nor is it an option (my area only has Comcast and Centurylink/Qwest) unless of course someone has the keys to the POP room in the Westin building-- SIXgrid would be very useful...

You're wondering how I was able to afford the parts I do have? I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay... actually, I got lucky selling a few things. But no one seems to want what I have left, and even then it's not nearly enough.

**will add more as I think of others**

And here are a couple other posts that relate to some of my progress as the project seldom moves:

Server Parts List (Revised).docx

What are your planned uses for the server? I read through but there's a lot of information in this post and I didn't see anything specifically referring to what you will be using the server for.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I don't know if I should download that attachment, so I wont - what you are trying to accomplish with this server?  If Im not allowed to ask this question Im not sure I want to participate on how to get you down the road to a full working server.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What are your planned uses for the server? I read through but there's a lot of information in this post and I didn't see anything specifically referring to what you will be using the server for.

Forgive me, I forgot to spell that part out...

It will be used for graphical/architectural designing and engineering work-- freelance, of course. I have the software and am studying how to use it so I can express the shapes and structures I see and visualize in my mind.

And NO GAMING of ANY KIND will be done on this system. I find that video games are a waste of time.

I'll also use it for building and operating virtual machines for experiments and possible hosting in the future.

Additionally, thank you very much for stating on topic! I'll gladly answer any other questions you have.

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

I don't know if I should download that attachment, so I wont - what you are trying to accomplish with this server?  If Im not allowed to ask this question Im not sure I want to participate on how to get you down the road to a full working server.

Would you rather I post pictures of the document? I don't see the problem, you can scan the file in a number of ways. It's just a list of what I have and what I need.

Oh no, there's nothing wrong asking what I intend to use the server for, that's a valid question and responding users have the right to know. Please see my previous reply to @SpookyCitrus, I just answered to that inquiry.

4 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

It will be used for graphical/architectural designing and engineering work-- freelance, of course. I have the software and am studying how to use it so I can express the shapes and structures I see and visualize in my mind.

And NO GAMING of ANY KIND will be done on this system. I find that video games are a waste of time.

I'll also use it for building and operating virtual machines for experiments and possible hosting in the future.

Additionally, thank you very much for stating on topic! I'll gladly answer any other question you have.

Those are interesting uses to me, honestly you should do crowdfunding for that, not just to build your server. Start a campaign and express what you want to do and make it interesting, explain what your passion is and how you're trying to start doing this sort of work but need help getting started. Give examples of things you've already done while learning the software. If you're trying to make it a business then crowdfund it as a business.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Those are interesting uses to me, honestly you should do crowdfunding for that, not just to build your server. Start a campaign and express what you want to do and make it interesting, explain what your passion is and how you're trying to start doing this sort of work but need help getting started. Give examples of things you've already done while learning the software. If you're trying to make it a business then crowdfund it as a business.

I've given it plenty of thought... I wanted to lease my resources as a VPC service, but you're right that maybe AEC design would be more marketable. And I have lots of plans to enter business when I've learned all that I need to pass expectations and fill customer requests. I might go for it, but I've hardly had time to learn software functions as I have to focus on getting the hardware to work. But it wouldn't be too hard to get started once I have a better workspace to draft in. (my room is kinda cramped right now so not much I can do besides run the server occassionally, which gets super loud and hot-- not the ideal work environment. I plan to get a soundproof rack, but still, got 2 get funding for that.)

19 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Additionally, thank you very much for stating on topic! I'll gladly answer any other questions you have.

what type of design and engineering work? Is this your workstation or are you access it remotly? Do you need multiple users? review

1 minute ago, Phas3L0ck said:

I've given it plenty of thought... I wanted to lease my resources as a VPC service, but you're right that maybe AEC design would be more marketable. And I have lots of plans to enter business when I've learned all that I need to pass expectations and fill customer requests. I might go for it, but I've hardly had time to learn software functions as I have to focus on getting the hardware to work. But it wouldn't be too hard to get started once I have a better workspace to draft in. (my room is kinda cramped right now so not much I can do besides run the server occassionally, which gets super loud and hot-- not the ideal work environment. I plan to get a soundproof rack, but still, got 2 get funding for that.)

I would stay away from starting a VPC. DO you have buiness grade internet? Power backups? What is your uptime?

What hardware do you have now?

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what type of design and engineering work? Is this your workstation or are you access it remotly? Do you need multiple users? review

I would stay away from starting a VPC. DO you have buiness grade internet? Power backups? What is your uptime?

What hardware do you have now?

The master plan is freelance architectural drafting and design, and I want to try my hand at electrical engineering and circuit board design using special EDA software... (I'll go into further detail on that some other time)

It's my personal server, using it as a server/workstation hybrid (will access by hand but can be readily used remotely)

It can handle multiple users no problem, but I prefer to sandbox outsiders as VPC/VPS until I figure out the enormous security flaws in bare metal RDP.

Well, hosting VM's was more of a side project, intended to benefit friends/associates/work partners, but I thought there was a possibility I might eventually have a small side business on it just for fun.

Can't get commercial internet, can't afford power backup (but I plan to get a UPS when I get the budget for it.)

I'll be honest, I don't have a solid uptime record yet, only because my system is loud even at low levels (PSU fans are annoying in the 40mm size) but it is very capable of remaining online/active without problems for several months without needing admin interactions.

For current hardware specs, please refer to my profile page which shows the details of my current setup as far as I've built it.

1 hour ago, Phas3L0ck said:

The master plan is freelance architectural drafting and design, and I want to try my hand at electrical engineering and circuit board design

So... you have a working system right now. Can you do any of this type of work right now? That would at least give you some green. Because the whole world works on green ..... if you know what I mean. What other skills do you have that you might be able to sell? Lots of people have side hussles that make them bank. If you can find a main job, then find some way to make money with the skills that you have. I used to do computer repair on the side, just word of mouth. My ex uncle Paul was a truck driver, he had a lift in his pole barn and as he was a certfied mechanic, he did that for extra money. Find a way to market those skills and find a way to work for yourself. 

Because as it stands I know that job market is rough. I have a fucking bachelor's degree and cant find a job in my field. I currently work as a picker in a warehouse, not exactly what I planned on, but I like the job. A guy I went to school with had his own lawn care/snow removal business, and Im 31 and he was younger than me.

1 hour ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Can't get commercial internet,

Comcast would install business class at a residence. Many people used to do this to get past the data caps. Though you basically pay more money for slower service, but then again, im pretty sure this service doesnt come with an SLA like Metro Ethernet does. But Metro Etherent would probably be out of the question. UNLESS a optical node was nearby. Even then, you couldnt afford the cost, becuase it would cost your first and second born child each month. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So... you have a working system right now. Can you do any of this type of work right now?

I can, but I'm only a beginner in the AEC field. I have basic knowledge of how to use AutoCAD for placing shapes and manipulating polylines, but that's about it. That's the saddest part-- I have all the software, but most of it I don't entirely know how to use yet. I could learn it, but there are serious environmental factors involved like limited space, both physical and digital-- everything crammed into one tiny room and stuck with an ancient 1280x1024 screen. Not to mention, my server is loud, which isn't a detrimental problem by itself, but it also gets very hot, and my room overheats extremely fast. So let's see, combine limited screen space, immense heat, and growing noise levels with my HFA (borderline ADHD personality), and personal issues that limit my time to accomplish anything meaningful, and it's like working in an ER at 4AM.

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Comcast would install business class at a residence. Many people used to do this to get past the data caps. Though you basically pay more money for slower service, but then again, im pretty sure this service doesnt come with an SLA like Metro Ethernet does.

Uh, no. In order to get anything "business class" from Comcast, you basically have to be a business, be prepared to show registration and expect to send them to a brick-and-mortar outpost you couldn't possibly afford... and THEN, you need to be within 0.5km of a dedicated active fiber optic node/station to even start a conversation about highspeed networking, much less to get their one and only useful service plan that costs like $500 or $1,000 per MONTH, and that's AFTER the insane ~$1,500+ setup and installation fees!

Now if in some perfect world an uplink wasn't a problem, I could easily market my storage space as a privately hosted cloud drive. I've got a 24TB RAID-10 array ready for hundreds of users, no problem.

Maybe a few years from now, when 5G is a real thing, then I can present my storage as a proposed cloud drive.

Today 5G only works on the DOWNlink, I need 5G/gigabit speeds on my UPlink.

BTW who do you work for? I applied for that exact job at 3 different companies, and they all turned me down because of some "lack of experience" BS.  I WOULD KILL TO WORK IN A WAREHOUSE!!! That's exactly what I'm physically fit for, and have the mental acuity of being well organized, so something like "order picker" would work for me if anyone would bother to give me a chance. I could work at Amazon, but they're too far away.

1 minute ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Uh, no. In order to get anything "business class" from Comcast, you basically have to be a business, be prepared to show registration and expect to send them to a brick-and-mortar outpost you couldn't possibly afford..

I have seen many many non business people get Comcast business with no business. They just make one up a business name for Comast's sake. Comcast doesnt care if your a business or not. In some cases, if you use too much data, ISP's will force you on to a business account, because you pay more for using it more, if that make sense. Keep in mind, when I mean business class, Im still talking coax, not fiber. Fiber aka Metro Ethernet is a whole diffrent story. And YES you can get Fiber from Comcast at a normal house, its called Gigabit Pro, its just a bit on the expesnive side for residential internet. Up to $1000 for install and $299 a month with a 3 year agreement. 2Gbps syemterical Fiber. You need to be with in 1/3 of a mile of their Fiber network to get this service. Trust me, I know how Comcast opperates, been with these sons of bitches for over a decade. All they care about is money, if you have it, they will take it. 

5 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

BTW who do you work for?

The temp agency Im out of is called Phoenix Services. The company Im at currently is called JDS Indsutries. They speicalize in Trophies and personalized items. Like Flasks, cups, mugs and such. Well sell to the people that do the customization. We also sell to trophie shops. I know they have 14 US warehouses. 

10 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

but it also gets very hot, and my room overheats extremely fast.

I have a desktop, Plex server, 3 monitors, NAS, Router, Modem, UPS, TV, Nintendo Switch all running in my room. My room is about 12x8. So yeah, I know about space issues as well as heat. Look at it like this.... Your not going to freeze to death in the winter. Always have to look at the bright side. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, Donut417 said:

Look at it like this.... Your not going to freeze to death in the winter. Always have to look at the bright side.

Actually, I prefer to freeze, because to me it's just not possible! *(unless it gets below 25F, then I'll worry)

My room hits 80F without even trying on a good day, and almost nothing turned on. On the bad days, it reaches over 100F, and that's not safe-- either for me or my equipment. Even more so since I personally generate a lot of heat-- I'm literally a human furnace! And like a nuclear reactor, I suffer the most under intense idle heat-- the kind where I can't cool down unless I take a dip in cold water.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, Donut417 said:

I have seen many many non business people get Comcast business with no business. They just make one up a business name for Comast's sake. Comcast doesnt care if your a business or not. In some cases, if you use too much data, ISP's will force you on to a business account, because you pay more for using it more, if that make sense. Keep in mind, when I mean business class, Im still talking coax, not fiber. Fiber aka Metro Ethernet is a whole diffrent story. And YES you can get Fiber from Comcast at a normal house, its called Gigabit Pro, its just a bit on the expesnive side for residential internet. Up to $1000 for install and $299 a month with a 3 year agreement. 2Gbps syemterical Fiber. You need to be with in 1/3 of a mile of their Fiber network to get this service. Trust me, I know how Comcast opperates, been with these sons of bitches for over a decade. All they care about is money, if you have it, they will take it.

yes yes yes I see your point. Looks like you know exactly what I'm talking about, but like you said, money...

If I ever went to "business class," I'd go straight for the throat with fiber. Coax on a server is bad news; I NEED symmetry! NEVER use something asymmetrical for a mission-critical datalink, it's highly inefficient and technologically disrespectful.  F#(K GPON!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I tried crowdfund sites, but everything fell apart AGAIN!

Gofundme is very poorly coded, making the entire site useless garbage! A Fisher-Price GUI with horrible text/image placement, and it feels like things are just missing.

Kickstarter, on the other hand, while it has a more refined site design that actually works, they also have $H1TT0NS of RULES-- perhaps too many in some areas...

I assembled a project with massive details, and spent an entire day entering everything, and had to wait nearly a week for them to tell me.. I'VE BEEN DECLINED?!?  WTF??? They didn't even give a specific reason!

If anyone wants to see how I tried to list my project, see the attachment.

Project listing.docx

Kickstarter is not a begging website, it's (mostly) for getting an advance payment to help with releasing a product, where you have a proof of concept already or some experimental product you can demonstrate (no "infinite electricity" devices, no "give me money and we're sure we can do it in 5 years, because we're researching this now")

Of course they rejected you...

GoFundMe is for begging money but again, some people use GoFundMe to get help with their hospital bills , not to finance computers worth thousands of dollars, when a <1000$ computer would be enough for you to do your job.

See https://www.kickstarter.com/rules

Projects must create something to share with others.

Kickstarter can be used to create all sorts of things: art and gadgets, events and spaces, ideas and experiences. But every project needs a plan for creating something and sharing it with the world. At some point, the creator should be able to say: “It’s finished. Here’s what we created. Enjoy!”

You're not gonna share your computer with the world, and you're not making a project, so ... rejected

Projects can’t fundraise for charity.

While nonprofits are welcome to launch projects on Kickstarter, projects can't promise to raise funds to donate to a charity or cause. Funds raised on Kickstarter must go towards facilitating the project outlined by the creator on the project page.

"I want a computer" is a cause basically ... you can't use money to finance yourself... the backers must receive something in return.

Ex. you could probably get a Kickstarter running with something like... "making a better paperclip" project and have each backer giving you 5$ or more and get a fancy paperclip or a thank you card out of it. You could show proof of concept something 3d printed or some 3d rendered design... your campaign would probably be accepted.