Ideas for passive income or not so passive

Nuclearnutsak

Okay so basically I have enterprise grade fiber internet and it is not  being used what so ever. We had to get it for a contract and now that contract is over.  Unfortunately we are paying 1300 a month for this internet. And I’m am trying to think of ways to make some of that back. I have 2 older servers on site not being used. And two desktop PCs. Could anyone help me out with some options for me to try out?  Net speed is 100 mb up and down. 

we have dedicated up 

4 minutes ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

Unfortunately we are paying 1300 a month for this internet  -- SNIP -- Net speed is 100 mb up and down.

That's a fuckton of money for some shitty speeds. If I were you, I'd just cancel it. I mean, there's no way you can get 1300 a month from it passively with such low speeds.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

Could anyone help me out with some options for me to try out?  Net speed is 100 mb up and down. 

something like a VPN business? 

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

something like a VPN business? 

Not a good idea, unless they enjoy dealing with the mess when a client uses the connection for something illegal.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Not really anything with those speeds, I have business grade 1.5Gbps Fiber in my unit (FTTH, not FTTN) and people are still hesitant to let me host hardware for them, just due to lack of hosting experience, no real power backups other than UPS boxes etc.

You with 1/15th of my speed and no power backup, I doubt anyone will take chances, even if it's a dedicated connection. 

Most I'm able to host are a few minecraft servers and a couple Plex servers, anything else people are just going to pay a large corp for hosting. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Not a good idea, unless they enjoy dealing with the mess when a client uses the connection for something illegal.

yeah, every business comes with certain risk

18 minutes ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

Net speed is 100 mb up and down. 

in other words this is 1gbit speed?

you sure you arent limited by literally any of your network equipment?

because 1300 $/€/£ for that is very expencive. 

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

yeah, every business comes with certain risk

Alas, as soon as money is involved, the possible legal shit you can step into shoots through the roof. It'd be an entirely different thing to run a VPN for other people if no money was involved, but with the OP wanting money for it...yeah, I recommend against it.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

It'd be an entirely different thing to run a VPN for other people if no money was involved,

legal issues asside, TAX!!!!

$£€1300 is a lot of money for those speeds.. Can you cancel the contract?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Thats wayyyy to much,we have the same speed and it cost us 44 bucks a month in usd

On 9/30/2019 at 3:12 AM, Nuclearnutsak said:

Okay so basically I have enterprise grade fiber internet and it is not  being used what so ever. We had to get it for a contract and now that contract is over.  Unfortunately we are paying 1300 a month for this internet. And I’m am trying to think of ways to make some of that back. I have 2 older servers on site not being used. And two desktop PCs. Could anyone help me out with some options for me to try out?  Net speed is 100 mb up and down. 

we have dedicated up 

Yeah you want to simply cancel that service - no way in hell  you're going to recoup the $1300/mo cost - even if you rented out a shit ton of VPS or other hosting, you likely wouldn't even come close to breaking even.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Remember that by Enterprise Grade, that usually means high uptime per some sort of SLA, and that will cost you extra money.  Can't compare that vs your standard home Internet service.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:18 AM, WereCatf said:

That's a fuckton of money for some shitty speeds. If I were you, I'd just cancel it. I mean, there's no way you can get 1300 a month from it passively with such low speeds.

I know, unfortunately we had a massive installation cost that factors into this monthly price. 

On 9/30/2019 at 3:29 AM, Chronified said:

Not really anything with those speeds, I have business grade 1.5Gbps Fiber in my unit (FTTH, not FTTN) and people are still hesitant to let me host hardware for them, just due to lack of hosting experience, no real power backups other than UPS boxes etc.

You with 1/15th of my speed and no power backup, I doubt anyone will take chances, even if it's a dedicated connection. 

Most I'm able to host are a few minecraft servers and a couple Plex servers, anything else people are just going to pay a large corp for hosting. 

The speed is able to be boosted to 2gb up and down if I can show it's worth it.  I do have battery backups as well, forgot to mention. the net has 99.9 uptime

Sorry this is my fault for lack of detail.  This is enterprise grade network. 99.9% uptime....can't be compared to home internet services. 

Standard 30 lan 30 wan connection. With rights to become a Wisp.  The reason the price is so high was because the price to install the fiber is included.  I can have the speeds scaled all the way to 2GB up and down if I can show it's worth it.  We know we won't recover all of the money, but If we can minimize that monthly cost we might as well. If I can save even 100$ a month, it's worth it to us. As the site is completely empty. There is literally one desktop computer there at the moment, no wifi devices. It's completely unused. Contract can't be canceled for two more years. 

2 minutes ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

The speed is able to be boosted to 2gb up and down if I can show it's worth it.  I do have battery backups as well, forgot to mention. the net has 99.9 uptime

I can upgrade to 5gb up and down, and my building has a backup generator that auto kicks on after an outage (primarily elderly apt building above) plus UPS packs to last until that kicks in AND my ISP has 100% uptime in my postal code since switching over to FTTH 3 years ago. It hasn't gone down once, even during regional power outages. 

Do you have server racks ready? Do you have on site security? Do you have a file backup system ready for potential clients? Do you have adequate cooling in the unit? This is why people just mine bitcoin, hosting is for the professionals. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

1 minute ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

Contract can't be canceled for two more years. 

Almost all ISPs will buy-out a competitors contract, find someone offering a WAY lower price and get them to buy out your contract for you. 

My rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

70.5 Whr Battery

*deep breath*

I have one server rack with a switch, battery backup, two servers, cooling, and a backup generator. Price per kwh is a little high in my location, not really worth mining. On site cameras, and I live on site so security is a yes.  Also the facility is fenced in with a 8ft permanent security fence

3 minutes ago, Chronified said:

Almost all ISPs will buy-out a competitors contract, find someone offering a WAY lower price and get them to buy out your contract for you. 

unfortunately this is the only provider, as the area is heavy industrial zoned, and our neighbor is a nuclear power plant. his neighbor is a nuclear facility as well. 

Tbh, if the internet at the site is THAT underutilized, just cut it altogether and get a new 5G modem for the location

My rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

70.5 Whr Battery

*deep breath*

6 minutes ago, Chronified said:

Tbh, if the internet at the site is THAT underutilized, just cut it altogether and get a new 5G modem for the location

5g isn't available yet :\

Well, you'd need more than one IP to be taken even remotely serious. Why would anyone pay you for a server that doesn't come with a dedicated IP?

So virtual servers (or root servers) aren't a viable option. You could try web hosting but then - you'd need to find customers. Why would anyone pay you money if some web space and a domain can be had for like 5-10$ per month. It would be a different story if you'd have web developing clients yourself to host. 

But then, any form of hosting or professional rent server services would require a serious backup strategy including off site backups and someone willing to have a constant eye on the servers.

The only actual passive option would be to rent the whole thing to someone looking for a space to activle do something with it. And I wonder why someone would go for your place instead of just renting a space and getting that connection themselves. This sort of smells illegal to me.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Well, you'd need more than one IP to be taken even remotely serious. Why would anyone pay you for a server that doesn't come with a dedicated IP?

So virtual servers (or root servers) aren't a viable option. You could try web hosting but then - you'd need to find customers. Why would anyone pay you money if some web space and a domain can be had for like 5-10$ per month. It would be a different story if you'd have web developing clients yourself to host. 

But then, any form of hosting or professional rent server services would require a serious backup strategy including off site backups and someone willing to have a constant eye on the servers.

The only actual passive option would be to rent the whole thing to someone looking for a space to activle do something with it. And I wonder why someone would go for your place instead of just renting a space and getting that connection themselves. This sort of smells illegal to me.

I do have more then one IP available. I can assure you it is not illegal. We had three year contract with Volkswagen which demanded internet better then what 4g lte was providing us. The only provider was lumos networks on enterprise scale. We made enough money during the 3 year period to justify the cost of the install. Now the contract is over the lot is not being used. In a month an apartment will be finished and I will be living on site. I am merely trying to find ways to keep myself busy and save the company a little bit of change. If there isn't any suggestions, I will sell one of my servers, and use one for some minor personal web hosting. I'll live out the remainder of the contract playing call of duty and looking at tits.  Thanks for your input though. 

7 hours ago, Nuclearnutsak said:

I do have more then one IP available. I can assure you it is not illegal. We had three year contract with Volkswagen which demanded internet better then what 4g lte was providing us. The only provider was lumos networks on enterprise scale.

No, you got me wrong. I meant: someone renting an empty premise from an unknown provider without reputation with a sort of big internet connection, that might attract fishy people.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!