External HDD only works on front ports

flyingpc

I have and external HDD plugged into the computer because the SSD isn't enough but the drive has a problem. When I plug it to the front ports of the PC the computer boots normally and the drive is usuable. When I plug it into the back ports the PC boots slowly to windows and when I open windows explorer the drive is there but without the usage bar under the name and when I try to open the drive or close windows explorer the PC freezes and I need to reset it. I have the latest chipset drivers. Is there any solution to this problem?

38 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

I have and external HDD plugged into the computer because the SSD isn't enough but the drive has a problem. When I plug it to the front ports of the PC the computer boots normally and the drive is usuable. When I plug it into the back ports the PC boots slowly to windows and when I open windows explorer the drive is there but without the usage bar under the name and when I try to open the drive or close windows explorer the PC freezes and I need to reset it. I have the latest chipset drivers. Is there any solution to this problem?

Are all these ports the same so USB 3.0 for example? Maybe the ports on the back are USB 2.0 which is quite common. This should still able to run windows but 2.0 can do about 20MB/s which is very minimal for windows even more for w10 and there very likely will cause a slow and lag experience.

Front USB3 works fine.

Back USB2 works fine.

Back USB3 has the issue.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What port on the back have you been using? Have you tried any other?

7 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Are all these ports the same so USB 3.0 for example? Maybe the ports on the back are USB 2.0 which is quite common. This should still able to run windows but 2.0 can do about 20MB/s which is very minimal for windows even more for w10 and there very likely will cause a slow and lag experience.

Forgot to add reply

21 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Front USB3 works fine.

Back USB2 works fine.

Back USB3 has the issue.

Maybe far-fetched but I don't think the HDD can be the issue as it works just fine on 2 ports. Can it be that the connections are connected the wrong way around? So USB2 is USB3 and and visa versa. You can't mess this up on the motherboard but you can at the case. Is it own build? Has it worked just fine before? You can easy check this by using some USB3 USBstick and check transfer speed on all ports by moving a file over. Otherwise no idea what can be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Maybe far-fetched but I don't think the HDD can be the issue as it works just fine on 2 ports. Can it be that the connections are connected the wrong way around? So USB2 is USB3 and and visa versa. You can't mess this up on the motherboard but you can at the case. Is it own build? Has it worked just fine before? You can easy check this by using some USB3 USBstick and check transfer speed on all ports by moving a file over. Otherwise no idea what can be wrong.

The ports are not wrong. When connected to the USB3 ports a blue indicator lights up and when on the USB2 a green one so this is not a problem. It's a custom build from a shop I went and told them the parts I wanted because I didn't want to do anything wrong.

I tested a USB3 flash drive and I get 3-4MB/s on copy on all ports. When I first plugged in the drive it didn't work on back USB3.

32 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Front USB3 works fine.

Back USB2 works fine.

Back USB3 has the issue.

Do these rear 3.0 ports only misbehave with this external HDD or do they behave irregularly when anything else is connected too?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Do these rear 3.0 ports only misbehave with this external HDD or do they behave irregularly when anything else is connected too?

Only with this drive. I will change the filesystem from exFAT to NTFS and see if it makes a difference.

4 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

I tested a USB3 flash drive and I get 3-4MB/s on copy on all ports. When I first plugged in the drive it didn't work on back USB3.

USB3 to USB3 should be close to 100mb/s (megabytes)...... When using a flashdrive a HDD won't reach those speeds.

2 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

USB3 to USB3 should be in the neighborhood  100mb/s (megabytes)...... When using a flashdrive ofc a HDD won't reach those speeds.

Flash drive is 3-4MB/s HDD in front USB3 reaches 80-100MB/s when transfering files with the SSD Maybe they sold me USB2 when they said USB3 I don't know

5 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Only with this drive. I will change the filesystem from exFAT to NTFS and see if it makes a difference.

exFAT? Do you have a specific reason to be using that? Trying to broaden platform compatibility?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

exFAT? Do you have a specific reason to be using that? Trying to broaden platform compatibility?

Had the drive to transfer recordings from PS4 to PC and PS4 only supported exFAT and FAT32 I want to format it to NTFS but cant find a big enough drive for a backup

2 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Had the drive to transfer recordings from PS4 to PC and PS4 only supported exFAT and FAT32 I want to format it to NTFS but cant find a big enough drive for a backup

Legitimate enough reason.

This is a pretty tricky problem based off the information you've provided:

1. It works on front USB2&3
  2. It works on rear USB2 but not 3
  3. Other devices work on rear USB3

...Do you have a spare thumb drive or other device you could format to exFAT then connect to the rear USB3? See if we can duplicate the issue with another device? That would tell us one possible solution.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Also can I shrink the drive so I can transfer everything over because Windows Drive Manager doesn't let me. Maybe CMD will let me?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

...Do you have a spare thumb drive or other device you could format to exFAT then connect to the rear USB3? See if we can duplicate the issue with another device? That would tell us one possible solution.

Will try that

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Another exFAT usb drive works fine on back USB3

5 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Also can I shrink the drive so I can transfer everything over because Windows Drive Manager doesn't let me. Maybe CMD will let me?

I'm going to need a little help understanding what you mean by this. Copying data off a drive doesn't need a partition shrinking.

3 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

Another exFAT usb drive works fine on back USB3

Did you format it on the computer or the PS4?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to need a little help understanding what you mean by this. Copying data off a drive doesn't need a partition shrinking.

Did you format it on the computer or the PS4?

I mean if I can shrink the volume from CMD because Disk Managment has this option greyed out and I don't want to lose the data I have. It was formatted on the computer. EDIT: I found that there is a chipset update. Trying to download it. It's stuck at 0B/s so I guess I'll wait till my internet decides to work.

2 minutes ago, flyingpc said:

I mean if I can shrink the volume from CMD because Disk Managment has this option greyed out and I don't want to lose the data I have. It was formatted on the computer.

A little bit of googling says exFAT cannot be resized in Disk Management. Perhaps @KarathKasun has some input here. I'm seeing some third party programs claim they can.

I still don't see why it is you want to if the plan is to backup the data on another disk. You can copy it over without cloning the whole partition. There's no reason to shrink it unless you're planning to do something with a second partition.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

A little bit of googling says exFAT cannot be resized in Disk Management. Perhaps @KarathKasun has some input here. I'm seeing some third party programs claim they can.

I still don't see why it is you want to if the plan is to backup the data on another disk. You can copy it over without cloning the whole partition. There's no reason to shrink it unless you're planning to do something with a second partition.

I was gonna copy the data to a laptop and get it back to the disk after the format. Anyways I upgraded to v1903 like a week ago and forgot to check for driver updates... My bad

1 minute ago, flyingpc said:

I was gonna copy the data to a laptop and get it back to the disk after the format. Anyways I upgraded to v1903 like a week ago and forgot to check for driver updates...

...are you saying it is working now or...

Just now, Windows7ge said:

...are you saying it is working now or...

Installing rn also I found bios updates with USB device compatibility improved...

Just now, flyingpc said:

Installing rn also I found bios updates with USB device compatibility improved...

Well when it's done let us know how it went and if it helped.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Well when it's done let us know how it went and if it helped.

I'm now 2 bios versions behind because there are some bugs and I don't want to risk it. The drive still doesn't work. Anyways thank you for your time.