#ROGRigReboot19 Countries Excluded

Hello,

so I just uploaded my entry to #ROGRigReboot19 and only then I clicked at the Terms & Conditions link (https://gleam.io/4TzN3/asus-rog-rig-reboot-2019) (yeah I am fool I know) where I noticed that some countries are excluded (Taiwan, South Korea, Portugal, Italy, Austria, China, Russia, Hong Kong, Greece, France, Japan, Spain, Czech Republic).

Is there anyone here who could explain the reasons for excluding these countries?

Thank you

1891498878_Beznzvu.png.6e8697f54b5e2995f3d6daf0835fe261.png

The excluded will be something you have to ask Asus, its there money for it so they set the terms and conditions. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The excluded will be something you have to ask Asus, its there money for it so they set the terms and conditions. 

I mean, sure, but announcing an INTERNATIONAL contest open for people everywhere outside of the USA or Canada (per the video) is dramatically different than randomly excluding 13 countries and hiding this extremely important fact in small prints in the terms and conditions of the contest page.

Not only that, but whether you fly from France, Italy and Portugal (excluded) or Germany (allowed) to Canada, the plane tickets prices are sensibly the exact same. So ovbiously the issue here isn't monetary.

I think it's very fair of us to ask the reasons for this. Especially since a lot of us worked hard on our entries thinking it would be valid, only to learn 2 days before the end of the contest that our country is somehow excluded.

@James Any words on this ? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, estcethomas said:

I mean, sure, but announcing an INTERNATIONAL contest open for people everywhere outside of the USA or Canada (per the video) is dramatically different than randomly excluding 13 countries and hiding this extremely important fact in small prints in the terms and conditions of the contest page.

Not only that, but whether you fly from France, Italy and Portugal (excluded) or Germany (allowed) to Canada, the plane tickets prices are sensibly the exact same. So ovbiously the issue here isn't monetary.

I think it's very fair of us to ask the reasons for this. Especially since a lot of us worked hard on our entries thinking it would be valid, only to learn 2 days before the end of the contest that our country is somehow excluded.

@James Any words on this ? Thanks.

LMG has zero to do with the restrictions applied, its all Asus and local market rules and regulations. Has no bearing on the price or cost of flights and lodging... By money, I mean they are putting the money up for the hardware and flights/hotel accommodations. Just because flights from X and Y are the same or very similar prices, doesnt mean that is what qualifies or disqualifies a particular country. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

LMG has zero to do with the restrictions applied, its all Asus and local market rules and regulations. Has no bearing on the price or cost of flights and lodging... By money, I mean they are putting the money up for the hardware and flights/hotel accommodations. Just because flights from X and Y are the same or very similar prices, doesnt mean that is what qualifies or disqualifies a particular country. 

Adding to this, ease of getting a visa could also be a factor.

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its all Asus and local market rules and regulations.

That's a fair point and I understand, I wasn't directly blaming LTT as I'm sure they had no bearing in this. 

But that's precisely my issue : that it wasn't publicly disclosed and explained before-hand (and not just in small prints).

That would have saved a lot of people a lot of time.

1 minute ago, estcethomas said:

That's a fair point and I understand, I wasn't directly blaming LTT as I'm sure they had no bearing in this. 

But that's precisely my issue : that it wasn't publicly disclosed and explained before-hand (and not just in small prints).

That would have saved a lot of people a lot of time.

I didnt watch the reboot video, but usually there is an announcement that states terms and conditions apply and prohibited in certain areas and to check the rules and regulations of the contest for details.. which that there is part of the rules and regulations. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I think that we can safely say that it is up to ASUS to decide what countries will be included and exluded, no problem here.

I'm asking here because the competition is promoted by LTT and because I obvisously don't know anyone from ASUS. Maybe LTT itself could shine some light at this which is not likely because of NDA etc.

I'm not saying that LTT lied in their video but saying "from outside North America" is radically different from exluding half of EU and other counties :)

I simply wonder what's the difference between Czech Republic (excluded) and Slovakia (included).

I'm on mobile, so writing longer about this isn't gonna happen.

This is all about country's gambling laws. The countries listed must have something in their laws that makes running gambling, giveaway etc. more difficult or would require special requirements for participating. Like providing photo ID for age verification.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

37 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh huh, didn't think of this ._. although this is practically more like a "job interview" than a lottery (but i guess it'll depend on how the country's laws define a contest like this o_o)

All depends how tight the laws are. Plus since price would come outside of ETA (with EU countries).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I didnt watch the reboot video, but usually there is an announcement that states terms and conditions apply and prohibited in certain areas and to check the rules and regulations of the contest for details.. which that there is part of the rules and regulations. 

That's my main problem with this whole exclusion thing : it was stated nowhere. Not in the video, not in the video description, not in the social media posts, not in the contest forum post, not in the contest entry page.

It was hidden in the terms and conditions tiny link at the bottom of the contest entry page. That's my biggest grudge. I'm sure a very fair amount of people from these excluded countries count for the 2.5k entries currently submitted, spent hours of hard work and participated in this contest's popularity and brand awareness that comes with it.

The least we could've expected is to have had this exception ruling explained straight from the beginning. 

Whether Asus had issues with local laws, taxes issues, complicated visa... That's up to them and that makes sense, it would be fair. But advertising an international contest and then discreetly banning half of EU and other big market countries ? Not cool and not well-handled.

I was looking for some information about what could Italian Law decrete about foreign contests and I discovered that this would be legal and practicable if the company who organised the contest asked permission to a fiscal representative in Italy. Nothing impossible, though. Only today I realised Italy is excluded...

Like someone else said, it's almost certainly one of two reasons a country would be restricted.

1. Local laws regarding competitions/giveaways, permissions etc.

2. Local tax regulations, meaning ASUS etc. would have to pay tax on something and they don't want to pay anything that may be extra.

It's unlikely to be for visa complications for many of those countries (EU ones, at least) as I'm pretty sure they'd be sneaking you in under a tourist visa... :)

The main lesson for people is, always check which countries are excluded before you do any work on anything. I have to go through this ordering stuff online from many places as while the UK might have free/cheap delivery, where I live sometimes will not be shipped to (for no massive reason, quite often, although bulky items I can kind of understand) or will have excessive delivery costs (which is annoying if it is sent by Royal Mail/Parcelforce in particular, as it is actually the same cost as sending to a UK address).

19 hours ago, Nikitiz said:

I was looking for some information about what could Italian Law decrete about foreign contests and I discovered that this would be legal and practicable if the company who organised the contest asked permission to a fiscal representative in Italy. Nothing impossible, though. Only today I realised Italy is excluded...

Means more paper work. Anytime company has to separetly ask permission to do something, it's easier for them just to exclude that part.

16 hours ago, Casper191 said:

That's really a kick in the nuts, I worked hard to make mine in time for the deadline just to get now the info that Italy is excluded. Hiding such an important detail in the terms and conditions is pretty unfair. 

It might seem such way. But in other view terms and conditions always apply. So actually unfair bit might have been that they forget to put that sentence in description. Linus has previously said "... Terms and Conditions may apply..." when reading Intel sponsorspot for some giveaway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Means more paper work. Anytime company has to separetly ask permission to do something, it's easier for them just to exclude that part.

It might seem such way. But in other view terms and conditions always apply. So actually unfair bit might have been that they forget to put that sentence in description. Linus has previously said "... Terms and Conditions may apply..." when reading Intel sponsorspot for some giveaway.

Yeah, I know. You're right... but come on! Asus could have thought of it better

On 9/28/2019 at 7:33 PM, Something random said:

Hello,

so I just uploaded my entry to #ROGRigReboot19 and only then I clicked at the Terms & Conditions link (https://gleam.io/4TzN3/asus-rog-rig-reboot-2019) (yeah I am fool I know) where I noticed that some countries are excluded (Taiwan, South Korea, Portugal, Italy, Austria, China, Russia, Hong Kong, Greece, France, Japan, Spain, Czech Republic).

Is there anyone here who could explain the reasons for excluding these countries?

Thank you

1891498878_Beznzvu.png.6e8697f54b5e2995f3d6daf0835fe261.png

Dang it. When I first saw the posted giveaway I didn't even see the little link for Terms and Conditions on the bottom of the page. It wasn't until I shot, edited, uploaded, and shared my video excitedly with my friends and family that I just saw the T&C today. 

Why is Taiwan, the country that Asus is based in, the first mentioned country to be excluded from the giveaway? Why is it there at all? 

I'm really hoping they can at least address this topic if not be flexible with those that posted from those countries. It seems a bit odd that there is literally no mention of these exclusions in any promotion of the giveaway and that it isn't listed right there on the page under the "Rules" section. Why have all of those countries excluded but not mention them clearly before people spend time to make submissions? It's more work for them to filter through those submissions as well and remove any from those countries, or contact the contestant to ask if it isn't clearly stated.

I guess they'll at least have a nice big number to show that there were 3678 contestants and just 3 winners... 

As people said above there could be multiple factors why some countries are excluded. I do not see a problem with LTT having the video as is. There is no reason to list which countries are excluded as that is stated in the terms and conditions. Having to list this information would make videos for any contest much longer with small text and fast chat that we see in medication commercials. 

Clears sore throat with 1 dose...note that we are not responsible to death due to taking this product and we do not endorse anything in the video blahblahblahblah also does anyone ever read that small text in commercials it all says the same thing that its a commercial and you should do your won research on the topic/medication since believing only the commercial is silly.

there will be some sort of bullshit "business" or obsucre "political" reason for excluding those countries from this specific promotion especially given (with the exception of China & Hong Kong) they are included in another Asus promotion I stumbled across the T&Cs for from this year.

https://www.asus.com/event/Promotion_TC/

The Promotion commences at 16:00 GMT March 8th 2019 and terminates at 16:00 GMT June 30th 2019 ("Promotion Period"). The Promotion Territory is defined as the United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, France, Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom, Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Macedonia, Republic of Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, UAE and Israel.

3 hours ago, mikeyw64 said:

there will be some sort of bullshit "business" or obsucre "political" reason for excluding those countries from this specific promotion especially given (with the exception of China & Hong Kong) they are included in another Asus promotion I stumbled across the T&Cs for from this year.

Promotion and giveaway are two different things. Lottery would be third different. Giveaway: You can win a prize without paying anything. Lottery: You pay some sum to participate where you can win prizes worth same or more than your original investment. Promotion: Everyone can buy something for less and/or get something extra with their purchase.

So with promotion only the added extra will be one to cause any problems.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 9/28/2019 at 7:54 AM, estcethomas said:

You realize that a contest that would be open only for contestants from Canada and the US would still be considered international right?

International just means participants within two or more countries, it doesn't mean ALL countries...

As has been stated already those 13 countries are excluded most likely due to their local gambling laws, if you have a problem with that then contact your representative. There is literally nothing that LMG or ASUS can do to change that xD

14 hours ago, imreloadin said:

International just means participants within two or more countries, it doesn't mean ALL countries...

Linus in the video : "Contest open to everyone everywhere outside Canada or USA"

Linus in the video description : "3. Best International Candidate (Gives us your best shot!)"

Linus in the contest page : " We convinced ASUS ROG to fly in one lucky winner outside of North America!"

imreloadin : " LoL iNtErNaTiOnAl cAn mEaN AnYtHiNg aS LoNg aS ThErE ArE 2 CoUnTrIeS"

You're missing the point, mate. We're complaining about the lack/weakness of communication on such a vital criteria of the contest. It's borderline false advertising and enticed dozens and dozens of people to work hours and hours on contest entries, participating in its popularity and brand awareness, not having been made aware that their countries were excluded.

14 hours ago, imreloadin said:

There is literally nothing that LMG or ASUS can do to change that xD

LMG could not have changed this ruling, but they could have saved everyone a lot of time.
(Including themselves because now they'll have to go through each entry and manually filter out entries from excluded countries.)

So in the end, YES, there were a lot of things they could have done to change that :

- Not hiding this critical exclusion list in a tiny link to the terms and conditions in one single place, the contest entry page. 

- Mentioning it in the video (it would have taken 2 seconds to mention "some countries might be excluded")

- Mentioning it in the video description

- Mentioning it in the contest entry page

- Mentioning it in the main forum post

- Mentioning it in the social media posts

Sounds easy enough. But hey, I guess it's more flattering for marketing teams at Asus to have more entries, no matter how valid they are.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:44 PM, estcethomas said:

Whether Asus had issues with local laws, taxes issues, complicated visa... That's up to them and that makes sense, it would be fair.

And just to cement our point since you're not really reading : we're not hoping to change the ruling nor are we complaining frontally about it : the reasons are Asus', their game their rules, there's nothing to do about it and it's fine.

We just WISH we'd have been publicly and clearly warned about this, before pouring in hours and hours of work into this. THAT'S ALL.
But hey, keep rejoicing yourself that dozens and dozens of people wasted their valuable time by being falsely lead to believe they could enter the contest, you sure sound cool.

5 hours ago, estcethomas said:

Linus in the video : "Contest open to everyone everywhere outside Canada or USA"

Linus in the video description : "3. Best International Candidate (Gives us your best shot!)"

Linus in the contest page : " We convinced ASUS ROG to fly in one lucky winner outside of North America!"

imreloadin : " LoL iNtErNaTiOnAl cAn mEaN AnYtHiNg aS LoNg aS ThErE ArE 2 CoUnTrIeS"

You're missing the point, mate. We're complaining about the lack/weakness of communication on such a vital criteria of the contest. It's borderline false advertising and enticed dozens and dozens of people to work hours and hours on contest entries, participating in its popularity and brand awareness, not having been made aware that their countries were excluded.

LMG could not have changed this ruling, but they could have saved everyone a lot of time.
(Including themselves because now they'll have to go through each entry and manually filter out entries from excluded countries.)

So in the end, YES, there were a lot of things they could have done to change that :

- Not hiding this critical exclusion list in a tiny link to the terms and conditions in one single place, the contest entry page. 

- Mentioning it in the video (it would have taken 2 seconds to mention "some countries might be excluded")

- Mentioning it in the video description

- Mentioning it in the contest entry page

- Mentioning it in the main forum post

- Mentioning it in the social media posts

Sounds easy enough. But hey, I guess it's more flattering for marketing teams at Asus to have more entries, no matter how valid they are.

And just to cement our point since you're not really reading : we're not hoping to change the ruling nor are we complaining frontally about it : the reasons are Asus', their game their rules, there's nothing to do about it and it's fine.

We just WISH we'd have been publicly and clearly warned about this, before pouring in hours and hours of work into this. THAT'S ALL.
But hey, keep rejoicing yourself that dozens and dozens of people wasted their valuable time by being falsely lead to believe they could enter the contest, you sure sound cool.

Dude, I get your frustration, but let's be honest here. You are so enraged, because your entry is really strong, you spent a lot of time with it and now it goes to waste. We all get it, BUT.... 

I do not know how old are you, or if you are just not used to it, BUT.... before you do ANYTHING, read the Terms & Conditions, you will safe yourself a lot of trouble and/or at least a lot of time. 

About the point, that they could mention it somewhere, you are right, they could, but you could as well click on the Terms & Conditions first, before spending time with your entry. Simple as that.