Adding an SSD to a cheap laptop

Rabolisk

Hello

I have a cheap laptop which is the Lenovo Ideapad 330 (Not the S version). Its an OK laptop but I want to add an SSD to speed up loading times. Problem is I'm not sure how to upgrade. The laptop comes with a 2TB HDD (M2 Slot) so I could replace that. But it also has a PCI Express slot. So I'm not sure what my options are.

1) Replace the 2TB HDD with a M2 SSD (it will probably be a cheap  256GB SSD). The problem with this is that I will loose a lot of storage.

2) Add an NvME SSD using in the PCI express slot. The problem with this option is that it's too expensive and I honestly don't want to buy expensive components for such a cheap laptop. Plus I probably won't notice the diffrence

3) Find an adapter to hook an M2 drive to a PCI express. Is that even possible?

Anyway let me know what my best option is.

3 minutes ago, Rabolisk said:

Hello

I have a cheap laptop which is the Lenovo Ideapad 330 (Not the S version). Its an OK laptop but I want to add an SSD to speed up loading times. Problem is I'm not sure how to upgrade. The laptop comes with a 2TB HDD (M2 Slot) so I could replace that. But it also has a PCI Express slot. So I'm not sure what my options are.

1) Replace the 2TB HDD with a M2 SSD (it will probably be a cheap  256GB SSD). The problem with this is that I will loose a lot of storage.

2) Add an NvME SSD using in the PCI express slot. The problem with this option is that it's too expensive and I honestly don't want to buy expensive components for such a cheap laptop. Plus I probably won't notice the diffrence

3) Find an adapter to hook an M2 drive to a PCI express. Is that even possible?

Anyway let me know what my best option is.

Do it my friend.  It will make a big difference.  A real big one at that.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

HDD to SSD? Absolutely

SSD to NVMe? Only when installing large programs or moving large files; you won't see ANY speedup if this is just used for web browsing and some light games

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

HDD to SSD? Absolutely

SSD to NVMe? Only when installing large programs or moving large files; you won't see ANY speedup if this is just used for web browsing and some light games

Yes NunoLava is correct.  In benchmarks a M.2 over SSD is 2500mbps to 500mbps but real world performance is the same unless you go from m.2 to m.2 ,,  When I went to m.2 my OS loaded exactly the same, games launched the same and maps loaded same.. Also opening apps same and working on my DAW same.  Its just a nice form factor.  All tiny and cute ya know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

10 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I'm definitely doing it. Question is which option should I take?

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Yes NunoLava is correct.  In benchmarks a M.2 over SSD is 2500mbps to 500mbps but real world performance is the same unless you go from m.2 to m.2 ,,  When I went to m.2 my OS loaded exactly the same, games launched the same and maps loaded same.. Also opening apps same and working on my DAW same.  Its just a nice form factor.  All tiny and cute ya know.

This is magnified by the fact I bought an SSD which can do 1GB/s 4K read (not at Q1, but still) and that has much better data throughput than most M2s

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Totally go for the SSD upgrade. You'll lose storage, but 256go is still plenty enough !

That's the single best upgrade you could do to your laptop, the difference is gonna be mind-blowing and there's no going back haha

I wouldn't waste money on a NVMe though. The difference with a cheaper SSD won't really be noticeable, if at all.

I just saw that your Lenovo has a CD drive, are you using it at all ? Because there's a way to turn it into a HDD/SSD bay ! You could get a 128/256go SSD and install your OS and softwares on it, and then put your actual HDD in the CD drive bay as main storage drive !

I don't know the specificities for the Lenovo Ideapad 330 but there are plenty of tutorials out there if you're feeling adventurous !

Just now, Rabolisk said:

I’d go with option 2 if you need the space. 

Would refommend a 500Gb model tho 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Rabolisk said:

Grab a 960 EVO or 970 EVO ..............If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't notice speed difference or which one is which ya know.