450w vs 550w

Amofiav

Does a 450w PSU give me enough head room with this build? I haven't decided on which ITX board to go with yet. Gigabyte or Asus

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($164.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $914.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 08:37 EDT-0400

11 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

**Storage** | [ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zR3H99/adata-sx8200-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-1tt-c) | $149.99 @ Amazon

waste of money. edit: you can find cheaper

**Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB GAMING X Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z8WfrH/msi-geforce-gtx-1650-4-gb-gaming-x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1650-gaming-x-4g) | $164.98 @ OutletPC

waste of money. edit: i know its for a display out, but it lacks the decoder that could be very useful. 

**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na) | $55.99 @ Newegg

swap for cx non-m or a TXM or Formula Gold or many of the other options with 550w. a good 550w is enough for any consumer build 

**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory]

waste of money unless this is a workstation build or just need 32GB of Ram for some reason. 

its a workstation build. 

also there is no mobo in the build, i assume you have one even tho you are swapping case?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

waste of money. 

waste of money. 

swap for cx non-m or a TXM or Formula Gold or many of the other options with 550w. a good 550w is enough for any consumer build 

waste of money unless this is a workstation build or just need 32GB of Ram for some reason. 

also there is no mobo in the build, i assume you have one even tho you are swapping case?

Read their topic in NBnP

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Read their topic in NBnP

well, i shall update the list of complaints regarding the build. 

@GoldenLag saying "waste of money" is useless unless you are giving a valid reason/alternative. Instead it just makes you look toxic and like you know very little.

A 1TB SSD are no where near as expensive as they once were, only about $30 more than a 1TB HHD and a 500GB SSD (probably what you would recomend)

Again with the video card, "waste of money" is useless. There may be better options but if he can find a cheapish card, it would out perform a 1050ti

Next time just be a little more friendly and less aggressive. Not every one is a computer god like you.

important figure in mensa

Seon123 that is the correct build. I took some of the advise but was looking for 2nd opinions on the PSU.

I was able to get the m.2 and gpu for cheaper than the listed price.

the reason i went with the 32gb is so i don't have to worry about that upgrade down the road.

5 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

@GoldenLag saying "waste of money" is useless unless you are giving a valid reason/alternative. Instead it just makes you look toxic and like you know very little.

i mean, yes, but it also gets the point across. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case 
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $902.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 08:54 EDT-0400

and here you go. like i was gonna post alternative changes. 

the reason i went with the 32gb is so i don't have to worry about that upgrade down the road.

32GB of RAM, for the forseeable future, will be overkill if you are simply gaming. Most of the memory usage during gaming is on the GPU's RAM (vRAM) so you might as well save yourself some money/upgrade another part.

important figure in mensa

6 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

Next time just be a little more friendly and less aggressive. Not every one is a computer god like you.

i mean, i never claimed to be......... and i am far from one. 

20 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

I haven't decided on which ITX board to go with yet. Gigabyte or Asus

i am assuming you are looking at X570 boards, or?

atm i can say for sure which ITX board is better, but the Auros X570 board is at least very good value for where it sits on the pricetable. 

7 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

you are located in the US right?

13 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

Again with the video card, "waste of money" is useless. There may be better options but if he can find a cheapish card, it would out perform a 1050ti

at listed price it is. it also lacks the new Nvidia encoder which you get at a small price bump to the gtx 1660. 

something OP never mentioned that he got it at a reduced price

Since you didn't read the words in the first post and skipped right to the build.

Yes i'm between the waiting for the Asus x570-i and just grabbing Auros x570-i . Also yes I'm in the US (which it also says in WORDS) under the NBnP post you skimmed through.

I'm trying to follow the passive aggressive theme this thread has taken on......

8 minutes ago, Jihakuz said:

32GB of RAM, for the forseeable future, will be overkill if you are simply gaming. Most of the memory usage during gaming is on the GPU's RAM (vRAM) so you might as well save yourself some money/upgrade another part.

going to lightly game but mostly photoshop/lightroom. I cut out cost some cost and thought the RAM would be the best place to upgrade. My research might be wrong but it looks like ps/lr wont take advantage of vram over 4gb. The GPU will be an upgrade way down the road.

7 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

Yes i'm between the waiting for the Asus x570-i and just grabbing Auros x570-i . Also yes I'm in the US (which it also says in WORDS) under the NBnP post you skimmed through.

i am famous for not being able to read. 

tho i think i fixed up most of the things in the responce build i posted. you can skip the cooler choice if you dont like that one. 

rest is cost savings and upgrading to a better GPU that is both better value and offers much better performance. 

I'd get a locked i7 9700 instead but that's me... photoshop/lightroom both would play out better on one while you get more cheap mini-itx alternatives that would suffice the CPU, cooling would be about the same.

Also GTX 1650 uses NVENC and CUDA standards from Pascal/Volta they are not the same as the rest of Turing line up... a GTX 1660 would be more adequate or if not just grab a GTX 1060 3gb which will the same technology wise but it's a faster card all around.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Amofiav said:

I'm trying to follow the passive aggressive theme this thread has taken on......

That's par for the course in this forum.

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Save $10 and get an arguably better PSU if you don't mind the fact that it's non-modular:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx450-450w/p/N82E16817139201

Newegg is running a $10 off right now for the semi-modular psu :)

between grabbing that and taking Goldenlag's advise and getting a Be Quiet for $30 more.

54 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

Newegg is running a $10 off right now for the semi-modular psu :)

between grabbing that and taking Goldenlag's advise and getting a Be Quiet for $30 more.

If you are going to spend that much more on your PSU, then consider the Corsair RM550x.  It's currently on sale at Newegg for $79 after rebate.  It's a significant upgrade in quality over the Be Quiet for about the same price:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm550x-cp-9020177-na-550w/p/N82E16817139231?Item=N82E16817139231

8 hours ago, seon123 said:

It's way more than you need

So if a 450w is way more than I need AND per the sticky threads there is no reason to get a higher watt PSU. The recommendations of a higher watt psu is because of build quality? Any other 450w recommendations? I thought the SF450 and CXM450 where pretty solid.

9 minutes ago, Amofiav said:

So if a 450w is way more than I need AND per the sticky threads there is no reason to get a higher watt PSU. The recommendations of a higher watt psu is because of build quality? Any other 450w recommendations? I thought the SF450 and CXM450 where pretty solid.

You don't have to "over provision" a PSU for the sake of "over provisioning" if you get a quality PSU.  But higher end PSUs only come in "higher" wattages (if you want to call 550W higher wattage) because it doesn't cost any less to make them in lower wattages.

Example being the RM550x.  You don't need 550W, but there is no RM450x.  Why?  Because it would cost the same to make then the RM550x and when presented with the two for the same price, why wouldn't you just get the 550W?

If you want features like Gold efficiency, fully modular cables, Zero-RPM fan mode... then you get something like the RMx.

@jonnyGURU  I get there is a point where lower doesn't mean cheaper. I ended up grabbing it cause $30 was worth an extra 5yr warranty. On top of the better build quality and Zero-RPM fan. :)

Thanks for everyone's input.