HELP! Network stuck on 100mb should be 200mb

RicHaj

I have an Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet controller from an MSI Z87 G45 Mobo on my PC and recently got an Internet speed upgrade from 20mb to 200mb

However, im only getting access to 100mb. 

My ethernet cable is a good quality Cat 5e cable and my Router supports the 200mb speed i should be getting. The Controller is set to Auto Negotiate as it should, but the cap remains. Using windows auto-driver update it says i have the latest ones, though im weary of downloading anything else on my own before i get at least some opinions on what could the problem be. Any assistance would be greaty appreciated!

6 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

Using windows auto-driver update it says i have the latest ones

The proper drivers to use are on the manufacturer's website for the motherboard. See if that makes a difference.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

There are a lot of different factors that play into your network speed. Bandwidth priority, latency, etc. You can always log onto your ISP site by putting in your Default Gateway IP address in your search engine. Usually you'll be provided with a username and password. Some ISP will have a default login, or you can call and create an account.

Doing so can grant you access to port forwarding for your network and bandwidth control for each device.

13 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

my Router supports the 200mb speed i should be getting

Does the router actually have gigabit Ethernet-ports? Many cheap routers only use 100Mbps Ethernet-ports.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

If you go into the Network Connection properties of your NIC does it say 100Mbps or 1Gbps?

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Does the router actually have gigabit Ethernet-ports? Many cheap routers only use 100Mbps Ethernet-ports.

I also tried with the Cable directly from the Modem to the PC to be sure and the result was the same. 

For reference Router is an ASUS RT-N300 B1 Modem is Fiberhome An 5506

Also, here is an Screenshot of my status 

222222.jpg

Just now, RicHaj said:

For reference Router is an ASUS RT-N300 B1 Modem is Fiberhome An 5506

Yeah, that router doesn't have gigabit Ethernet. It only has 10/100Mbps ports, so there is literally no way of getting more than 100Mbps out of it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, that router doesn't have gigabit Ethernet. It only has 10/100Mbps ports, so there is literally no way of getting more than 100Mbps out of it.

So even though it's rated for 300mb speed and i'm suppose to be getting 200mb, since it's not Gigabit i can't get to it?

So in that case, i should replace my Router with an adequate one to fix the problem?

Just want to be sure before i go out replacing a good router for another one. 

4 minutes ago, RicHaj said:

So even though it's rated for 300mb speed

It's not. Its WiFi is rated for 300Mbps, not Ethernet. The WAN-port is an Ethernet-port as well and it's limited to 100Mbps, so even over WiFi you still wouldn't be able to get more.

If you go and buy a new router, check its specs and make absolutely certain that both the WAN-port and all LAN-ports are gigabit.

Just now, WereCatf said:

It's not. Its WiFi is rated for 300Mbps, not Ethernet. The WAN-port is an Ethernet-port as well and it's limited to 100Mbps, so even over WiFi you still wouldn't be able to get more.

Yup Wifi is even worst actually, im getting even lower speeds at that.

So, if i replace my current Asus router for an AC1900 for instance, that should fix the problem ? 

1 minute ago, RicHaj said:

for an AC1900

There are plenty of products with "AC1900" in their names.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There are plenty of products with "AC1900" in their names.

Sorry, mean AC68U this one https://www.asus.com/br/Networking/RTAC68U/

Also, ok, i understand the router. But when i plugged the Cable directly from the Modem to the PC i was also getting just 100mb. The cable is Cat5e and it's of good quality, and my Pc board is Gigabit. So, could the problem there just be drivers or something else? 

Just now, RicHaj said:

Also, ok, i understand the router. But when i plugged the Cable directly from the Modem to the PC i was also getting just 100mb. The cable is Cat5e and it's of good quality, and my Pc board is Gigabit. So, could the problem there just be drivers or something else? 

I dunno. Could be the Killer Ethernet - drivers -- they have a very much unhelpful feature where they randomly limit bandwidth because they think it would be good for you. My laptop has a Killer Ethernet and it does that and my hubby's previous desktop also had one and the same problem was there as well. It could also be something else *shrug*

Well, i updated the drivers. But no change... I'll see if i can get my hands on a good quality Cat6 cable to test it out before i go putting a whole lot of money towards redoing my cables and router, but thanks. That helped a lot!