X1Extreme's battery life - help please

fatymid
1 minute ago, fatymid said:

@5x5 after updating the drivers I did a test of running both Youtube and Twitch, load stays at 0%. So I esentially have the same software I had on my previous unit. I do not expect amazing battery life. Should I test it again?

Also, what could fix this f*cking orange screen?

With external monitor attached the dGPU load is back at 20% (note: I did battery tests without external monitor).

image.png.c45e2927e79a729f935b973d0aa67ac8.png

External screen thing is normal. It needs high clocks for two displays else you'd get artifacts.

Orange tint should be as simple as installing one of NoteBookChecks Color calibrated profiles. They provide them free of charge on their site. Should also reduce PWM if possible on your model display.

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Orange tint should be as simple as installing one of NoteBookChecks Color calibrated profiles. They provide them free of charge on their site. Should also reduce PWM if possible on your model display.

Didn't work. I followed the guide on their website and, just as in case of my own efforts, the solution is temporary - the screen goes back to orange by itself. 

34 minutes ago, fatymid said:

Didn't work. I followed the guide on their website and, just as in case of my own efforts, the solution is temporary - the screen goes back to orange by itself. 

Try the Color settings in the intel control panel. Occasionally it glitches out and pushes the Hue up

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Try the Color settings in the intel control panel. Occasionally it glitches out and pushes the Hue up

Nope it is at 0. I checked it long time ago. 

Could it be another faulty X1E unit?

40 minutes ago, fatymid said:

Nope it is at 0. I checked it long time ago. 

Could it be another faulty X1E unit?

Shouldn't be the case you're not losing signal or having artifacting issues. Sounds like a badly calibrated display if applying a profile changes it temporarily before reverting back

Just now, 5x5 said:

Shouldn't be the case you're not losing signal or having artifacting issues. Sounds like a badly calibrated display if applying a profile changes it temporarily before reverting back

But there is no fix, I can recalibrate how many times I want, it is still going back to orange.

Also, I still get slightly above 3 hours of battery life with 0% dGPU load. So, do you have any other ideas as to what might cause battery drain? 

2 minutes ago, fatymid said:

But there is no fix, I can recalibrate how many times I want, it is still going back to orange.

Also, I still get slightly above 3 hours of battery life with 0% dGPU load. So, do you have any other ideas as to what might cause battery drain? 

This is incredibly abnormal. I'll reach out to a colleague who has has had the X1E from day one for ideas but he's never shared any sort of issues with us at work.

But in the meantime, I'd say set up an exchange for a ZBook or Precision.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

But in the meantime, I'd say set up an exchange for a ZBook or Precision

haha

I already ordered Asus Zenbook UX533 FD but I am concerned with heat on this unit as it is pretty thin. On the other hand, there is not other affordable laptop I am interested in. Unless I choose to go for a gaming one like Acer Nitro 7 or something. 

1 minute ago, fatymid said:

haha

I already ordered Asus Zenbook UX533 FD but I am concerned with heat on this unit as it is pretty thin. On the other hand, there is not other affordable laptop I am interested in. Unless I choose to go for a gaming one like Acer Nitro 7 or something. 

The UX633 isn't heat limited, it's power limited because of the small chassis.

If going for a gaming laptop with good battery life, the only affordable one is the Zephyrus GA502. The Nitro can barely eek out 3 hours according to reviews

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Zephyrus GA502

1x1 802.11ac WLAN :(

Just now, fatymid said:

1x1 802.11ac WLAN :(

Easy swap.

But if you want gaming and a big battery and no compromises, you'll end up spending more

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Easy swap.

But if you want gaming and a big battery and no compromises, you'll end up spending more

I am reading a review of this unit and it also lacks in terms of screen. Screen and battery are my primary concerns. 

12 minutes ago, fatymid said:

I am reading a review of this unit and it also lacks in terms of screen. Screen and battery are my primary concerns. 

Well, in that case UX580 is really the way to go. The UX533 isn't going to perform that well since it's got power limits in place to prevent overheating so you end up with sizable power throttling. Either the Pro or an Aero 15/ConceptD7

24 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Either the Pro or an Aero 15/ConceptD7

What "pro" do you refer to?

I've seen user comments that the Zephyrus' screen is not that bad to use. I will consider that device because I am really unsure about dGPU in a  very thin laptop like UX533. 

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

ZBook

Which one? There's 15u G6, 14u G6, 15u G5...