Need help convincing

AzrealNoctis

Alright, my mother recently switched to spectrum's 200 mpbs speed plan, however, when downloading anything, speeds seem to cap off at around 20mbps, and I have sudden service drops whenever I go into my room, I think that the modem and router may be bottlenecks, as they are both well in excess of 6-8 years old, and where from back when we lived in an apartment. I plan to pay to upgrade the equipment, but how can I convince my mother that it is a good idea to upgrade the wifi equipment? I sent her Linus's video explaining why one may want to upgrade, but she refused to watch it, wanting me to explain what benefits will come from an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Alright, my mother recently switched to spectrum's 200 mpbs speed plan, however, when downloading anything, speeds seem to cap off at around 20mbps, and I have sudden service drops whenever I go into my room, I think that the modem and router may be bottlenecks, as they are both well in excess of 6-8 years old, and where from back when we lived in an apartment. I plan to pay to upgrade the equipment, but how can I convince my mother that it is a good idea to upgrade the wifi equipment? I sent her Linus's video explaining why one may want to upgrade, but she refused to watch it, wanting me to explain what benefits will come from an upgrade.

So what is the problem, the modem can do 200mbps but the router cant ?  Or Vice Versa ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Get some actual data. Connect directly to the modem with ethernet and run a speed test to see if the modem is a bottleneck. Use the iw tools (or equiv.) to get an idea how well your wireless ap is working-- what the signal level is like  at different spots throughout your house, which channels have the least interference, if you are dropping packets locally, etc.

Aim for some part time jobs and buy one on your own, it's not expensive at all. Besides, I think your parents will be so proud of you.

Sincerely

22 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

your gear is probably way out of date. the simple argument is that your paying for faster internet then you are getting to use 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

5 minutes ago, SpaceHunter said:

Aim for some part time jobs and buy one on your own, it's not expensive at all. Besides, I think your parents will be so proud of you.

Sincerely

Should probably read all of his post first. 

Ok, did a speed test here are the results

Ethernet:65.3 down 11.6 up

Wifi 2-10 down 10-12up

This is from right next to the router and modem

Edited by AzrealNoctis

35 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

what benefits will come from an upgrade.

You get the service you're paying for should be convincing enough. You don't pay premium steak money and be satisfied with a McDonald's burger, do you?

7 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Ethernet:65.3 down

Wifi 2-10 down

Looks like both should be upgraded (modem and wifi ap). 

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

You get the service you're paying for should be convincing enough

Seems like a good argument to me. Getting a 10th of the speed you should. Can be fixed for the same cost as 1-2 months of service.

10 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

What exactly are you going to convince your mother about?

For your mother to even wanting to listening to you she want some actual proof. When you can give her proof or a demonstration, she will listen to you. It's common psychics in a person to do so. You just need to put things up on the table for her to understand what you are saying.

13 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Show her the bill with the level of service she is paying for. Show her the speed tests. She should be able to put the two together and get a reasonable opinion of the issue. 

That being said, what exactly do you have modem and router wise? Model Numbers Please. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

From Spectrums webpage I understand that you get a free modem/router - https://www.spectrum.com/lp/best-deal - Did you not get a new router, then call em up, they may send you one for free.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

ree modem/router

Its a free modem. Spectrum is one of the ONLY ISP's that gives out just Modems, none of the gateway shit. I think you have to "RENT" a router or buy your own. This is what I have read from other Spectrum customers. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Its a free modem. Spectrum is one of the ONLY ISP's that gives out just Modems, none of the gateway shit. I think you have to "RENT" a router or buy your own. This is what I have read from other Spectrum customers. 

Alright, so it isn't even a modem/router combo.. That's rough.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

13 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Tell her you're paying for a service you're not getting the full benefit from.

Show her various speedtests when directly connected to the equipment.

22 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yup, this is correct, as a Spectrum customer I got a modem only for free (thankfully).

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

54 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

From Spectrums webpage I understand that you get a free modem/router - https://www.spectrum.com/lp/best-deal - Did you not get a new router, then call em up, they may send you one for free.

They sent us a modem, but my mother refuses to use it, thinking they will block the channels she uses to bootleg movies

7 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

They sent us a modem, but my mother refuses to use it, thinking they will block the channels she uses to bootleg movies

If she is using an internet TV option for boot legging then Spectrum already knows she’s violating copy right law. They can see all traffic that goes across their network. Unless your using a VPN. Honestly unless a studio contacts them, Spectrum is likely not going to care. 

If if she’s worried about getting caught then my suggestion is to STOP BREAKING THE LAW. 

Made me think of this scene. 

That's pretty much what I told her, spectrum doesn't really care, but she seems to thing she knows more than me in terms of internet, even though I've been doing research into this kind of stuff for a while, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, 

15 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

1. Please list the make and model number of both the Modem and the Router. It's possible that your equipment doesn't support the speeds you're paying for. Let's verify this before getting ahead of ourselves.

2. WIFI speeds are only relevant when on WIFI. Have you tested download speeds on both Wired LAN as well as WIFI? If not, please do, and post the results.

3. Before you just start upgrading equipment, we need to find out what's causing the slow down first. Eg: If you have a Wireless N router from 10 years ago, it should still handle 200 Mbps traffic totally fine, especially if it has Gigabit WAN/LAN ports (Some routers limit the WAN port to 100 Mbps - which should still allow you to far exceed 20 Mbps).

4. Finally, can you clarify that when you're measuring download speeds, you actually mean 20 Mbps (Megabits per second)? Because 20 MB/s (MegaBytes per second) is equal to 160 Mbps - which would be a totally and entirely reasonable speed to achieve on a 200 Mbps connection. The difference between b (lower case b = bit) B (Upper Case B = Byte) are crucial here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)