Suggestion on a defragmentation software and an antivirus

Hi there,

My aunt has old PC with a HDD and think it's about time for a good old defragmentation run. I hear that Windows 10 disk optimization utility is enough but is it true? or do you guys have any suggestions? also I need to install her an antivirus software, please give some suggestion for one too. s

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. -  she is the type of person who thinks Microsoft support staff is going to call in order to alert the user about virus infections, so obliviously the antivirus should be a one that do its job without any user intervention. thanks again!

What antivirus do they have? Defender works pretty well these days and is simmilar to most after market software in performance

If there bad at computers, one thing you could try using using SRP to keep them from running code in their downloads and other home folders. Makes it a lot hardware to download and run random programs.

Id really just get a ssd, there so cheap now. Like 30 bucks for a basic sata one.

I really wouldn't bother with third party defrag software unless you're experiencing some particular issue you're trying to diagnose.

Also, in terms of your aunt being a risky user (likely to fall for phishing, etc) - you might be better off demoting her user account to Standard User (instead of Admin), if you haven't already.

For Anti-virus, Windows Defender is pretty good. If you're going to buy paid software, I quite like BitDefender, but realistically, Windows Defender is pretty good these days, and will definitely not bug her unnecessarily.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, CHA99 said:

Hi there,

My aunt has old PC with a HDD and think it's about time for a good old defragmentation run. I hear that Windows 10 disk optimization utility is enough but is it true? or do you guys have any suggestions? also I need to install her an antivirus software, please give some suggestion for one too. s

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. -  she is the type of person who thinks Microsoft support staff is going to call in order to alert the user about virus infections, so obliviously the antivirus should be a one that do its job without any user intervention. thanks again!

Hmm, Well, if you like, defraggler from piriform is a nice software for defragmenting HDD.

As for anti-virus, try to get a more reputable one, such as McAfee or Norton. Also, if you go to the websites frequently, get the internet security suite or something similar like that.

If you want an anti-virus that doesn't need intervention, I think you can give Sophos a try.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.