Ti 83 Plus for AP Calculus AB?

Shreyas1
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
18 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Does anyone know if a TI 83 Plus will work for AP Calculus AB? Has anyone used one on the test? I saw the college board says that the 83 plus has all the necessary functions but does anyone know whether I should actually use it? Thanks!

Your school (or specifically the class) will likely have a recommended calculator to use. You should just use that one.

Why? Because if you're having issues doing something, the prof is going to be far more familiar with the recommended calculator than other models.

Which calculator do they recommend? If the TI 83 Plus is on the list, then use it. Or use a different one that's on the list.

Does anyone know if a TI 83 Plus will work for AP Calculus AB? Has anyone used one on the test? I saw the college board says that the 83 plus has all the necessary functions but does anyone know whether I should actually use it? Thanks!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

18 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Your school (or specifically the class) will likely have a recommended calculator to use. You should just use that one.

Why? Because if you're having issues doing something, the prof is going to be far more familiar with the recommended calculator than other models.

Which calculator do they recommend? If the TI 83 Plus is on the list, then use it. Or use a different one that's on the list.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I used an 83+ all through high school and on the AB+BC AP tests.....back in early 2000s. I don't know if the rules have changed since then. I will say it was more useful for the Calc BC test than for AB from what I vaguely remember.

In my personal experience, professors will say Ti-83, Ti-83 Plus, Ti-84, Ti-84 Plus. Some professors may specifically mention the updated colour versions as well, but let me tell you:

Professors do not EXPECT you to use a Ti-83, most times. The 83 is an out of date calculator, and their lessons will likely revolve around updated versions of the 84's firmware. So, if you're wise I would buy an 84 plus and update it (free and easy to do, though it is a little finnicky. I had to try ~4 times on my 84 Plus which was quite old).

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

3 hours ago, SenKa said:

In my personal experience, professors will say Ti-83, Ti-83 Plus, Ti-84, Ti-84 Plus. Some professors may specifically mention the updated colour versions as well, but let me tell you:

Professors do not EXPECT you to use a Ti-83, most times. The 83 is an out of date calculator, and their lessons will likely revolve around updated versions of the 84's firmware. So, if you're wise I would buy an 84 plus and update it (free and easy to do, though it is a little finnicky. I had to try ~4 times on my 84 Plus which was quite old).

Yeah I'll probably just ask my teacher if it's a good idea then. Thanks!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I took BC, and I had a few friends who used the Ti 83 just fine, but they were quite a bit slower when it came to putting functions into the calculator and reading graphs and tables. I used the Ti 84 Plus CE and it made things a breeze. Entering functions/integrations/derivatives was far easier than it would be on an 83. If you can, get your hands on an 84 Plus CE. You'll be fine without it, but it will make your life so much easier.

I'd really recommend taking a look at Casio's lineup. I used an FX-CG10 (PRIZM) calculator throughout high school, and it has worked beautifully. IMO its UI is far superior to TI's, and it is far more intuitive to use than a TI. It also has a color screen, which is absolutely amazing for graphing multiple functions at once. It color codes parentheses, shows fractions in their natural format (super useful for nested fractions). But far and away the most useful function is the ability to go back in your calculation history and change things; from what I remember you can't do that with a ti-83 and you have to retype the entire expression if you make a mistake. The FX-CG50 is (AFAICT) the updated version of the FX-CG10, and is actually cheaper than the ti-83 on amazon right now. Basically, this thing is superior to a TI-84 in every way, and is still significantly cheaper.

Edit: Oh and I was able to play flappy bird, 2048, and minesweeper on my FX-CG10 :P

Edit 2: The speed difference is also hilarious, even to the TI-84 plus CE, which has a processor that is three times faster than the ti-83. I hadn't thought about it before but it could really help on timed tests (like the AP):

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.