9700k going to 85C on base clock

I am currently using the nzxt kraken 280mm radiator with the pre-applied thermal paste. The radiator being mounted on the top of my h440 case with a pull setup for the fans. While playing No Mans Sky my CPU will spike up to 85C which I don't understand why since its no overclocked at all. I thought it might be the restrictive airflow of the h440 and so I took off the top panel of the case while gaming which gave me around 70C which I still think is high. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Make sure the pump is working and that the mounting is good. Other than that, not much I can say. Modern intel CPUs tend to run hot.

3 hours ago, random user9999 said:

I am currently using the nzxt kraken 280mm radiator with the pre-applied thermal paste. The radiator being mounted on the top of my h440 case with a pull setup for the fans. While playing No Mans Sky my CPU will spike up to 85C which I don't understand why since its no overclocked at all. I thought it might be the restrictive airflow of the h440 and so I took off the top panel of the case while gaming which gave me around 70C which I still think is high. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I would suggest to remount the CPU cooler with new high quality thermal paste and ensure mounting pressure is sufficient.

Clear CMOS to ensure all your voltages are reset to factory default. (your clocks may be stock but your voltage may not be).

Check if your Mobo BIOS has Multi Core Enhancement (MCE) or equivalent enabled, this pushes all cores to max turbo, instead of just the designated best core as per Intel spec. - This really drove the heat up on my system and was turned off to reduce heat under load as I do not require that level of performance as of right now.

Check the airflow in the case is good, you may need to cable manage and clean dust filters of any intakes.

Consider adding additional fans if needed for better exhausting heat.

Check your fan speed curves and power profile of your machine, set to performance if not already done.

Try out a new fan configuration, Push, Pull, Push/Pull apparently does make a difference to thermals as does the placement of the fans.

As a last resort, and only if necessary, consider unvolting the CPU to reduce heat and power consumption. This is trick the miners did a few years back to improve longevity and efficiency of a rig, but it will compromise performance and stability for everyday general use.

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Make sure the pump is working and that the mounting is good. Other than that, not much I can say. Modern intel CPUs tend to run hot.

Loving the picture of the big nosed pilot chick from Aliens btw. :D 

17 minutes ago, Spoonii said:

I would suggest to remount the CPU cooler with new high quality thermal paste and ensure mounting pressure is sufficient.

Clear CMOS to ensure all your voltages are reset to factory default. (your clocks may be stock but your voltage may not be).

Check if your Mobo BIOS has Multi Core Enhancement (MCE) or equivalent enabled, this pushes all cores to max turbo, instead of just the designated best core as per Intel spec. - This really drove the heat up on my system and was turned off to reduce heat under load as I do not require that level of performance as of right now.

Check the airflow in the case is good, you may need to cable manage and clean dust filters of any intakes.

Consider adding additional fans if needed for better exhausting heat.

Check your fan speed curves and power profile of your machine, set to performance if not already done.

Try out a new fan configuration, Push, Pull, Push/Pull apparently does make a difference to thermals as does the placement of the fans.

-snip-

As a last resort, and only if necessary, consider unvolting the CPU to reduce heat and power consumption. This is trick the miners did a few years back to improve longevity and efficiency of a rig, but it will compromise performance and stability.

Yep yep yep, repaste/remounting would be the first step, then checking all the voltages and BIOS settings. Shouldn't be hitting 85C at stock, though technically that's still safe (aka "won't toast your CPU when it's at stock voltage" temps). 

MCE would probably be the culprit, most mobos on any auto settings think voltage is Nutella at 2am, and slap it on alarmingly thick. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Have you tried removing the front panel as well?

A 15c drop is massive and 70c is pretty normal for load temps. It seems like the issue is just bad case airflow and that's no surprise consider the H440's design. 

85c isn't great but it's still perfectly safe as long as it doesn't get much higher. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, random user9999 said:

Ok so I heard this issue many times. The i9 by itself is a bitch to cool. The pre applied thermal paste might be the issue it's usually terrible I always take it off and put some thermal grizzly and also check the pump might not be running at all install it's software. And this is where I love to mention this point the nzxts software is so bad it might be causing the pump to stop doing it's job (might be)

I know someone answered this but always please please track the software it sometimes crashes doesn't work etc. And I strongly recommend to choose a different thermal paste. It's personal preference but the stock one is no good you might get better thermals with thermal grizzly