model railroad thread.

50 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

He said that like it was a bad thing.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Well it did dash his expectations of free lodging ?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Well it did dash his expectations of free lodging ?

So, sleep on the floor under the layouts.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I am sorry I haven't bean responding. I got sick and didn't get on the forum for a while and didn't check my backlog.

17 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

that's awsome! I want one!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I dug these photos up from five years ago when I went to a live steam railroad in New Jersey, but I can't remember the name of it.

It might've been called new jersey live steamers or something along those lines.

005.thumb.JPG.55dee86892d865ae8d46a546184d056a.JPG006.thumb.JPG.e53959a4556a1fe79ee6c69b1ed1df2c.JPG

008.thumb.JPG.66a1f8a95b460a4a7e487baa48e8dbf9.JPG002.thumb.JPG.d2e8d5270effc57175c24eeb3cce5575.JPG

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

2 hours ago, TrainFan2020 said:

I dug these photos up from five years ago when I went to a live steam railroad in New Jersey, but I can't remember the name of it.

It might've been called new jersey live steamers or something along those lines.

005.thumb.JPG.55dee86892d865ae8d46a546184d056a.JPG006.thumb.JPG.e53959a4556a1fe79ee6c69b1ed1df2c.JPG

008.thumb.JPG.66a1f8a95b460a4a7e487baa48e8dbf9.JPG002.thumb.JPG.d2e8d5270effc57175c24eeb3cce5575.JPG

That is just too cool!

A friend and I were up in Evanston, WY a few years ago for other reasons and town just happened to be having some kind of town celebration going on commemorating their railroad history. Evanston used to be a coal and water stop for the railroad and also had a round house and turntable. The railroad no longer stops in Evanston but the turntable still works and we got to ride on it.

The town has been renovating part of the round house into office space so the town and county government offices can be consolidated into one building. For the celebration, the unrenovated space was opened to the public and I got to wander through there. it was pretty well gutted but some things were left behind.

The old machine shop was gutted a long time ago but the town cleaned it up (not dolled it up) and now uses it for holiday celebration and rents it out for parties, etc.

There is a small railroad museum on the grounds that was built in the old passenger train terminal. There is also some old rolling stock there, including some old Pullman passenger cars, but those were closed to the public. As funds permit, they will be restored.

I found out from someone there that the Big Boy loconotive that was towed to Cheyenne, WY for refurbishing had passed through the day before (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). I missed another chance to see it again after it had been refurbished when it steamed through Gila Bend, AZ around a year ago. I hate how the news stations tell people about things like this AFTER they have happened (more muttering and mumbling).

Jeannie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always found this sort of community pretty amazing.  A customer of mine has one of the coolies train sets in his basement. The guy builds the trains, his wife helps pain the sets, trains and build the terrain. Then rip everything up and redo it once a year. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I have always found this sort of community pretty amazing.  A customer of mine has one of the coolies train sets in his basement. The guy builds the trains, his wife helps pain the sets, trains and build the terrain. Then rip everything up and redo it once a year. 

can you get pictures?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

1 hour ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Then rip everything up and redo it once a year. 

It's one of those "never ending" hobbies; the more you make/build the more ideas you get. 

38 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

can you get pictures?

I hope they take a lot of em.  Video too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The only experience I've had with Model Rail roading was with my IT guy who built a section of a community track (not sure what you'd call it exactly) but he was assigned a curved section and needed to lay out a section of track with a specific curve and straights at the ends to be able to easily connect up to any other person's section.

So I drew him a Line.

A really big line. Printed on 24x36 paper so it could be a 1:1 scale and he could just lay it on the material he used and nail the rail right to it. 

image.thumb.png.c4ee1a5f2b95646994a9f9b21c389080.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 1 month later...

I'm building a plywood table for my layout pics are inbound.

2x4s are expensive!

2 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

I'm building a plywood table for my layout pics are inbound.

2x4s are expensive!

Yeah.  Trees are harder to find than they used to be, and they’re smaller so clear timber can get quite expensive.

What about metal studs?  Traditionally they’re even more expensive.  That may have changed though. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  Trees are harder to find than they used to be, and they’re smaller so clear timber can get quite expensive.

What about metal studs?  Traditionally they’re even more expensive.  That may have changed though. 

I'm going into plywood. the thing I need to do is put lateral supports in and I didn't get enough 2x4s.

• 2 months later...

no I won't

image.png.72f67be7da49e74baae865f8e62221d3.png

I recommend this channel for railroad wreck documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvLXYpRv2-IFZa8cnMFffcA

10 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

no I won't

image.png.72f67be7da49e74baae865f8e62221d3.png

I recommend this channel for railroad wreck documentaries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvLXYpRv2-IFZa8cnMFffcA

Here's mine right now. I'm hoping to take it out of the basement and redo it when there's room for it.

The derailment was unscripted

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

46 minutes ago, TrainFan2020 said:

Here's mine right now. I'm hoping to take it out of the basement and redo it when there's room for it.

The derailment was unscripted

You have sound!

I have DC everything

1 hour ago, The King of the Undead said:

You have sound!

I have DC everything

Yeah I have an arduino with DCC++ for the outer loop and dc for the inner loop (that random grassy curved piece is the programming track)

The lego thing next to the dc controller is a housing I made for the arduino