model railroad thread.

this is the LTT model railroad thread. I am not wordy and this is the best I've got right now.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I would love to see this thread take off. I used to be a model train enthusiest but I don't have room for a layout anymore.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I just have a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

10 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I would love to see this thread take off. I used to be a model train enthusiest but I don't have room for a layout anymore.

I started this partly so we could shore knowledge.

I don't have any.

I used to watch EverardJunction when I was interested about this hobby and Luke Towan when I was interested about modeling and scenery and such.

They're a nice watch when you want some inspiration. 

I'm not a serious model railroader, but I still mess around with it sometimes.

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.a1695039dd9d04682304b0baf0a53cb8.JPG

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.4be172dd34eb582ba3e6e920f3a05e1a.JPG

I have more locomotives than train cars!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

51 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.a1695039dd9d04682304b0baf0a53cb8.JPG

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.4be172dd34eb582ba3e6e920f3a05e1a.JPG

nice cabinet! that is a lot of trains. I have that white and black Norfolk southern engine on the top. It looks nice.

2 hours ago, TrainFan2019 said:

BTW is that HO?

15 minutes ago, will4623 said:

BTW is that HO?

Yep!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

18 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

Yep!

I am HO to! I will have to get a picture of my layout. I have 2 side by side 4x8 sheets of plywood. and a giant mess.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Kaloob said:

I have one of the Norfolk Southerns at the top and the CSX engine (mine may be a different livery). I'm currently on a loop on plywood on a table, I'm trying to put a larger plywood sheet to add another track since my Amfleet can't handle the curve, but I need more room. 

I only have 3 engines. I am doing diesel but I have one steam. Did you know that diesel engines actually use ellectric engines but use diesel generators?

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

I have 3 as well. I think there were some Diesel engines without electric generators, but I know modern ones are Diesel-Electric.

what companys are around you as far as trains?

mna for me. which you can not find anywhere!

Just now, Kaloob said:

WMATA (Metrorail), MDOT/Maryland MTA (MARC, Purple Line, Baltimore LightRail Link, Baltimore SubwayLink), CSX, Norfolk Southern (if I go down to Virgina), VRE (same deal as Norfolk Southern, northern terminus is DC Union Station), and Amtrak (I've only been on the Northeast Regional).

there might be a small amtrack presence around here. I don't remember.

I live right off kansas city. harrisonville to be exact.

Just now, Kaloob said:

There probably is some sort of Amtrak service there. Any light rail system?

I know very little and that isn't part of what I know.

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Oh, okay. 

Apparently the Purple Line has had it's first track layed. 

I meant I don't know what a lite line is. just took a second for my brain to realize. yes I think there is.

Just now, Kaloob said:

Oh, okay. 

if I were home I would take A picture of my layout. right now one piece of plywood is bare another is covered in random stuff.

4 hours ago, Kaloob said:

I have plywood on a table.

When I was a kid, my Daddy made a train table that would fold up into a box on the wall above my bed. I made one like it for my son but he preferred slot cars over trains.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

When I was a kid, my Daddy made a train table that would fold up into a box on the wall above my bed. I made one like it for my son but he preferred slot cars over trains.

is there instructions for this somewhere?

14 hours ago, will4623 said:

is there instructions for this somewhere?

I have no idea. My Daddy worked from a quickie hand sketch when he built mine. I made a slightly fancier hand sketch for the one I built for my son (we didn't have the internet back in "them there" days). It was basically a bottomless box that mounted to the wall. The box "lid" (think Murphy bed) was hinged at the bottom and, when folded down, was supported on the free end by a leg on each side that swung down when the "lid" was down and swung back up against the wall when the "lid was back up on the wall. The layout itself was on a piece of "beaver board" (rigid soft cellulose wall board insulation; I think it's called sound insulation or deadening board now) recessed into the "lid" with spacers between it and the plywood of the "lid" to allow for wiring underneath and to deaden the sound of the trains.

Jeannie

10 hours ago, TheUncannyScrub said:

Damn, need to dig out my 00 Gauge Hornby set from the Loft/Attic 

isn't 00 almost HO?

cool thread guys.

ahve some train and kit but no space to their relegate to boxes sadly.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

14 hours ago, Nup said:

cool thread guys.

ahve some train and kit but no space to their relegate to boxes sadly.

post the trains! we will take qretty much anything.