oversight in status updates

LukeSavenije
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

This isn't ideal, but it's not a cause of problems, and therefore isn't something that IPS has been willing to fix in the past. However, updating the whole status updates system is on my roadmap (my roadmap is very loosely defined though, and that just means that I intend to assess the feasibility of it in the next 6 months or so), which would resolve this.

there seems to be a massive oversight in the code where the profile and status updates can be independently regulated, with weird combinations (as example a status between me and @5x5 on @2FA's profile: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/219656-2fa/?status=243641&type=status)

I'm not sure who's fault this is, where in the code it's wrong, but this looks like a massive oversight to me

credit to @Windows7ge for making me curious enough to try this out

See, the PHP request looks for the unique ID of the status update, regardless of the user profile before, they're not related and it really doesn't matter unless you mess with the numbers for absolutly no reason.

It's something the IP board would have to "fix" but there's really no point in doing so.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Sounds like a shortcut more than it does an oversight.

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Sounds like a shortcut more than it does an oversight.

If you're trying to go back in time in the status updates, like really far, then yeah I'd call it a shortcut.

Why should I search though them linearly when I can just go ?status=243641&type=status -> ?status=222515&type=status

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're trying to go back in time in the status updates, like really far, then yeah I'd call it a shortcut.

Why should I search though them linearly when I can just go ?status=243641&type=status -> ?status=222515&type=status

I meant a shortcut for the devs, not the end-user.

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I meant a shortcut for the devs, not the end-user.

...hey what's good for them is good for me.

I doubt it's an oversight, but rather, something that makes looking for topics and/or status updates on the developers' side way easier as it doesn't have to compensate for fuck-ups in the user's name or in the thread's title. Essentially, it means that even a completely irrelevant title can still be perfectly usable to search for that same topic so long as the actual topic number is correct.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Yes, see, the user's page is nothing but a container. it holds all the nessesary items to display the status update info correctly.
So whether you put in my status or yours, it fits and will work. But you can't pull a 

?status=243641&type=status

PHP request in any page, it woudn't work.

regardless, Unless there's a clickable link (IE an interface item the user can click on, there's no such thing as an oversight. You put in different numbers by changing the link, You are therefore not using the forum as intended. 

This is more of a PEBKAC issue than anything tbh..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This isn't ideal, but it's not a cause of problems, and therefore isn't something that IPS has been willing to fix in the past. However, updating the whole status updates system is on my roadmap (my roadmap is very loosely defined though, and that just means that I intend to assess the feasibility of it in the next 6 months or so), which would resolve this.

HTTP/2 203