The LAST Keyboard You'll Ever Need - G.Skill KM360 Review

James
Just now, FezBoy said:

I hope the comparison video comes soon, 'cuz I thought I settled on gateron browns, but am getting less sure by the minute.

Just keep calm and press L

When I was first getting into keyboards buying a switch tester from Novelkeys with a variety of switches REALLY helped narrow down the kind of switches I wanted.

Just now, geo3 said:

When I was first getting into keyboards buying a switch tester from Novelkeys with a variety of switches REALLY helped narrow down the kind of switches I wanted.

Yeah, I have a Gateron tester in the mail

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

Damn it! I think one of the points of this video was to offer an easy purchase decision, especially for people like me who don't know shit about mechanical keyboards. But then when you read those comments you get even more confused. I guess ltt should make more buying guides in this area.

I agree i'd really like to see a buying guide, while I see the point of the video to provide an easy choice for a cheap keyboard, there needs to be more comparing different switches.

I haven't paid much attention to keyboards and it would be helpful for people that either never bought a mechanical keyboard or aren't a keyboard enthusiast. If you've always used some cheap rubber dome keyboard, I agree with the mention of getting a switch tester, although the gskill LTT recommends is still a decent value imo.

8 hours ago, sowon said:

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard - exists.

It comes in full-size, TKL, and 60% layouts, and features a hot-swappable PCB which supports PCB-mounted switches, so think any modern keyswitch under the sun that uses an MX stem and housing.

Correction: A drawback of the GMMK is that it only supports plate mounted switches like the Kailh BOX switches (see spoiler for explanation).

Spoiler

The pic below is the PCB for the iGK64. The arrows point to the holes for the fixing pins of PCB mounted switches.

iGK64-mechanical-keyboard-PCB.jpg.007f0e304deed71b04a97923ecedc86d.jpg

As you can see in the pic of the PCB of the GMMK, there are no holes for these pins.

351589372_GMMKPCB.thumb.jpg.6c53fb3c077df88fd5c078ae11e7d89c.jpg

You can still use PCB mounted switches but one would have to snip the fixing pins first.

This video was painful to watch, due to the implications that Cherry is undoubtedly the "best" and an "industry golden standard" when that demonstrably isn't true anymore, and that Kailh is just a "cheap Chinese clone" of Cherry. While, yes, Kailh is Chinese and originally made direct clones of Cherry switches, and were pretty regarded as terrible by the community when they made Razer switches, they're now regarded as better, smoother and even more innovative than Cherry is. Not to mention they have a wider range of switch types, weightings and actuation points to choose from.

Also, the "last keyboard you'll ever need" is a bit of a stretch when hotswap boards like the Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard exist in a variety of form factors, as @sowon pointed out.

I don't even own any Cherry boards anymore because they're just not that good compared to Kailh. Can't see myself buying another now that I know there's better out there.

57 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

James (I assume?) posted a pinned message in the video:

There was still the implication that Kailh is somehow still inferior to Cherry, when that hasn't been the case for years.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

I guess that's clear through the blind test now o_o

Honestly Corsair keyboards are shit in general :P 

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wonder if it's because of the keycap feel o_o

Average build quality, cheap keycaps (with more recent caps having this horrid "gamer" font), insanely overpriced (fucking $180, really?), no removable USB cable and the USB cable is fucking massive, and a software package that's not only 300MB, but also takes up 300MB RAM for no fucking reason and barely even works right. They get a tonna hype tho because ARR GEE BEE and Corsair posts HILARIOUS memes!!!! to r/pcmasterrace, even though just about every other keeb out there around $80 has RGB now and posting shitty memes isn't the greatest marketing strategy to those who actually know shit about keyboards.

5 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Correction: A drawback of the GMMK is that it only supports plate mounted switches like the Kailh BOX switches (see spoiler for explanation).

That one drawback is still worlds better than being limited to one switch out of the box with the G.Skill keyboard.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

The only thinks I can say may original Cherry Keyboard SUCKS a lot! ?

From AT. :x

On 9/8/2019 at 9:07 PM, Required said:

The only thinks I can say may original Cherry Keyboard SUCKS a lot! ?

OG Cherry boards are actually quite nice, especially the ones with Vintage Mx Black switches which are a lot smoother than Modern and Post 2017 Retooled switches.  
ImageImage
Notice how much smoother the Vint Black is compared to a modern red switch