How many generations do you wait to upgrade your graphics card or processor?

geforceftw

When Maxwell comes out my graphics card will be 4 generations old (GTX 465). My processor is last generation. I am probably going to upgrade at Maxwell but i said the same thing for the 700 series. 

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I wait until I can't play the games I want to at the resolutions and graphic settings I think are acceptable, in this case BF4 on low settings wasn't cutting it for me, so it was time to upgrade the 6850, I will stick with the R9-290 until it is no longer adequate for playing games. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

As long as they are not bottlenecking eachother and i keep above 60FPS i wont upgrade.

Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7 3820@4.3GHz | Asus GTX670 SLI | 16GB Kingston HyperX Black The Gathering edt. | H100 | 120GB Intel 330 | 240GB Intel 530 | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 4TB | CM Storm Stryker | Corsair CX750M

3 generations

by that time the gpu dies on me so that doesnt matter

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I can't ever say, espcially when new technologies like DDR4 come into play, it's  really hard to say.

Until it dies or until I cant do what I need to do with current setup

went from 7850 to 770, but before that i had a laptop for 4 yrs

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

It depends. I used to upgrade every generation but recently there has been no need, what with the rebranding of GPU's and intel not really making a push in the extreme market. I still have my 3930k, its clocked at 5GHz and has been for almost 2 years and it still runs everything flawlessly. As for the GPU I have a GTX680 4GB and I really do not feel the need to upgrade yet, I have a single 1440p monitor and it runs most games at full graphics with AA turned down.

GPUs, I usually buy every other generation, or each new architecture from Nvidia, so my last GPU was a 480 and currently I have a 680. With CPUs I wait a lot longer; I stick with what I have until a new feature comes out that I want or I end up in a situation where I need more CPU power. My last CPU was an i7 950 on 1366 and now I have a 4770k, so that's 3 or 4 generations depending how you count it.

If I had the money, every second generation.

Other than that, it when ever I can afford to, which would be at least 3.

I'm 14 and just got my first graphics card (gtx 660), so I will probably get a full $1000 or so PC when I go to collage as well as a $400 laptop if I buy it, or a $1000 laptop if by parents buy it (I don't know if my collage computer money can go to a desktop).

wait until my current setup is inadequate or wait until the time there is a significant performance boost for a reasonable price, not to hard, some peope change every single generation because they just absolutely HAVE to have the newest tech, even if they spend 500$ on 5-10% performance boost, which is stupid, i could see changing over for things like efficiency, different technology, something that is actually cool tech wise.

I'm running a 2700k and 680 SLI and at the rate things look to be going I will be skipping 800 series.

The only game I'm looking forward to is Titanfall and my 680s will spank it @ 1080p or 1440p.

I won't need to do a platform upgrade for a bajillion years because atm all Intel want to do is make their processors smaller, more power efficient and less friendly to overclockers.

i set myself the goal to wait till the 1000series and until 4 cores isnt enough 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Until my gfx or processor not supported for games anymore. Or any other features from the driver.

I jumped from a GF 8800 GT to a bunch of r9 290 so i guess once every 10 gens... :D

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it

- Frederic Bastiat 1850

I had GTX 580 and had very terrible experience with "Metro" game (the first one) .. So I went ahead and upgraded to dual 7970s ..

Next upgrade will be when I have a bad experience with a game I like at the resolution that I want to play .. Regardless of generations in market ..

What defines my need to upgrade is my actual need in gaming .. Not the market trends ..

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

My last upgrade was a 4 gen one. Right now I plan to upgrade to the top dog Maxwell, so that's 2 gens, but I presume that one will hold for a lot longer, until Volta comes out in the least.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Every 2 generations usually but I don't have a set rule. I went 8800GT > HD4870 > HD6970 (then crossfired) >R9 290. 

I wait until it can no longer give me any worth while performance. So right now my GPU will not change for at least 2 - 4 years or according to any program that uses it and i need to upgrade and my CPU will be going for the next 5 years of unless i need to upgrade because some program need the juice.

Now if i run into some money and all my expenses are paid up then i might d away with the above and just get the latest. ;)

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I usually wait two generations to pass and I upgrade for the third one, nth for processor and graphics card. Sometimes though I don't really what for the different generations, but upgrade every two-three years, depending on the actual value and features of the newer components.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

It really depends on the tech.
If you are on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge came out, not much point. Same with the LGA2011 variants.
I guess maybe every 2-3 generations is what people try and stick to. That clearly excludes enthusiasts as they tend to upgrade when the next best thing comes out.

I will be upgrading whenever Broadwell-E comes out. Gives me more than enough time to get things ready.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER