What is the front page of the internet?

Dash Lambda

What is the front page of the internet?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What is the front page of the internet?

• Google
    • Reddit
    • YouTube
    • FaceBook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Amazon
    • Other

47 minutes ago, quakeguy said:

Voted "Other" for not including "DuckDuckGo."

I considered including it, but it's just too niche for the class of sites I was thinking. I also considered Bing, but had more personal, spiteful reasons for not including that one. I figured Google was the generic 'search engine' of the list.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

The new tab page

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

There is no front page. Anyone (such as Reddit) claiming to be "the" front page, is being arrogant, at best.

Reddit might be a good candidate because it has some 330 million users. But so what? Facebook has some 360 million users - does that make Facebook the "front page" of the web? It certainly fits as well as Reddit does.

I'd suggest that the Google Search Home Page is the front page, since that's likely the most common actual website used as a home page when people launch their browser.

But the real answer is "there isn't one".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, Dash Lambda said:

I would say there definitely is a front page. Maybe region-dependent, maybe even for each individual person; but whoever you are, there's always something you tend to go to first or interact with the most.

Gmail is the front page of the internet? Wow!

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I'm gonna say Google because it's the most common website visited when testing to see if you have an internet connection. That and because it's usually the default search engine in most browsers, and people seldom change it.

9 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm gonna say Google because it's the most common website visited when testing to see if you have an internet connection. That and because it's usually the default search engine in most browsers, and people seldom change it.

I test my internet connection by going to linustechtips.com xD

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 9/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, Dash Lambda said:

"the front page of the internet" to be quite over-optimistic

it certainly used to be, i mean now i usually use it for  patch updates with game communities or memes/content with selective online communities, but most of the news that concerns me comes from the forums or google

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I test my internet connection by going to linustechtips.com xD

Admittedly, I test it using Newegg (because it usually takes a lot to load it) or this segway to our sponsor, the LTT merch store! With the new RAM and hard drive t-shirt designs, your swag factor will be overclocked and hot. Click the link below to grab yours, today:

https://www.lttstore.com/

(im not sorry this is fun)

99% of the time I'm on reddit... on mobile. Rarely touch it while im on desktop. However when I'm on a desktop, there's no 1 single website that I frequent much more than others.

4 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

Gmail is the front page of the internet? Wow!

Now that I think about it, Gmail makes more sense to me than I figured it would.

Well then.

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Reddit might be a good candidate because it has some 330 million users. But so what? Facebook has some 360 million users - does that make Facebook the "front page" of the web? It certainly fits as well as Reddit does.

I wonder how many bots as % of these.

Reddit in particular has an astroturf problem. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

31 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I doubt there's an accurate way to tell, one way or the other.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

I mean, most of the bots on Reddit aren't really there to trick people. Though, of course, they still are user accounts...