link pc to desktop?

zindan

Hello, I'm gonna be coding on a big pc and sometimes on a desktop. I am going to use Netbeans as coding software. How can I easily transfer data between the 2 ? Like.. In school I might write a program or something and when I get home I will use the big pc. Do I have to copy the code, make new files etc etc. Is there no quicker way to just fix this? Like link them together or something ? :)

Appreciate help thanks! 

If i understand this correctly. You want to access you code to another computer while working on the code in school correct? 

learn how to use github, you wont regret it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, zindan said:

Hello, I'm gonna be coding on a big pc and sometimes on a desktop. I am going to use Netbeans as coding software. How can I easily transfer data between the 2 ? Like.. In school I might write a program or something and when I get home I will use the big pc. Do I have to copy the code, make new files etc etc. Is there no quicker way to just fix this? Like link them together or something ? :)

Appreciate help thanks! 

I recommend you learn how to use git. These days, most IDEs support git.

Another option would be to get yourself a Nextcloud, Dropbox or similar account and place your files there. That way they'll sync automatically between your two PCs.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

learn how to use github, you wont regret it.

Darn, you were a second faster than me.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

If i understand this correctly. You want to access you code to another computer while working on the code in school correct? 

not at the same time.. Just when I get home from school I wont be using my laptop. I wanna be able to turn on my desktop and then without doing anything poff, all the things I did on my laptop in school shall transfer to my desktop. 

23 minutes ago, zindan said:

Appreciate help thanks! 

I use Dropbox on all my computers and put my workspace on there, that way it automatically syncs between all of them. Just make sure they're all running the same version of the IDE.

I've never used Netbeans (nor do I plan on ever using it), so I'm not too sure if they'd allow something like that, but Eclipse and IntelliJ both worked fairly well with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

33 minutes ago, zindan said:

Appreciate help thanks! 

Ideally you'd have put the software somewhere that you can remotely access in the first place and be using some versioning control software to sync it.

Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive etc can also be used for this, but I must insist that you don't. The problem with using cloud drives is that you end up syncing after every compile, including all the intermediate files if you don't explicitly tell it not to, so that's a much more annoying setup process than git/svn itself.

However client-end wise, installing any kind of version control software that isn't integrated into the IDE itself is a nightmare and a half to maintain. 

Like, in many cases, it's just faster to work off a USB flash drive than it is to deal with the hassle of installing yet-more software on your pc, but if you lose the drive, then your project's gone. So that's what it comes down to.

Ideal: version control

less ideal: cloud storage

practical: USB drive

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Ideally you'd have put the software somewhere that you can remotely access in the first place and be using some versioning control software to sync it.

Google Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive etc can also be used for this, but I must insist that you don't. The problem with using cloud drives is that you end up syncing after every compile, including all the intermediate files if you don't explicitly tell it not to, so that's a much more annoying setup process than git/svn itself.

However client-end wise, installing any kind of version control software that isn't integrated into the IDE itself is a nightmare and a half to maintain. 

Like, in many cases, it's just faster to work off a USB flash drive than it is to deal with the hassle of installing yet-more software on your pc, but if you lose the drive, then your project's gone. So that's what it comes down to.

Ideal: version control

less ideal: cloud storage

practical: USB drive

usb drive seems to be the easiest of all these mentions above. Well alright then. Thanks Github, idk what it is and how it works so prob gonna take to long. 

24 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

GitHub is not a file transfer application.

Don't be Dat Guy. GitHub is a source code sharing solution, part of sharing source code is syncing and copying files between devices. GitHub is not designed to transfer files, but it can easily be used to do that if you wanted to, because code is just files, and assets are 100% just files and you can include those in Git. We even use Git to share the company party photos that everyone takes.

Git will provide the solution OP is looking for in this case, so there is no reason for you to be picking the hairs off of a fleas balls with this one. 

2 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

GitHub is not designed to transfer files

Git itself is not designed to transfer files. Especially if you're a one-man team, it is much too huge for that.

Write in C.