1GPU, 2PSUs

29 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

planning on doing something a tad jank, so wanted to get some opinions from those with more knowledge than me.

I have a vega 64 I want to use in a secondary system but I only have a 500w psu with a single 8 pin. they recommend a 750w psu for the vega64, but those psus are pretty pricey. so instead, I was thinking of buying a second hand phanteks power combo device and a second 500w psu. this would cost me about 35%less in total, and give me more upgrade options in future. this would provide more than enough power in total, but it would mean Im powering the psu with one 8pin from each psu. would this cause me any issues? 

I would really appreciate any advice on this before I blow up one of my most expensive parts.

I think what people are  trying to say, is that you should sell your old PSU, and use the money from that, plus a bit extra for a 750W model from a reputable brand. Two power supplies are just never a good idea, most cases don't support it just because hardly anyone ever does it because of differing power fluctuations.

4 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

ouch, 30%more expensive for the same wattage. I understand you get what you pay for, but that still stings. 

Its not about wattage at all.

2 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

I appreciate the info, but I don't think it would only power the gpu because of the phanteks combo. it shares the load of the mobo and cpu between the 2 psus. 

Sharing load between 2 PSUs really isnt gold. Especially when this isnt a current limitation.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Thats a PSU failing. And not what you said. You said a crap PSU damages your components over time. 

Yes, a crap PSU can damage your components over time. Maybe you want to explain what exactly is ripple, why must it be kept low, and how exactly does it affect end components according to you? And also what are the repercussions of running a computer with a PSU that has 150mV of ripple on its 12V rails?

If you say how you interpret those problems, maybe we will be able to correct some misconceptions.

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

plus a bit extra for a 750W model from a reputable series of PSUs

Well he doesnt need 750w. He only really needs 550w. 

Also corrected your wording to somethign more appropriate

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Well he doesnt need 750w. He only really needs 550w. 

Also corrected your wording to somethign more appropriate

Thats fair, but if you can afford more headroom, especially with a VEGA 64 I don't see why not. Its only probably around $50 (to estimate I'm not up to date on pricing) difference at most really. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its not about wattage at all.

Sharing load between 2 PSUs really isnt gold. Especially when this isnt a current limitation.

just wondering, lets say hypothetically the vega 64 drew more than the PSUs 550w. what would happen? safe crash or dead components? 

Just now, floofer said:

Thats fair, but if you can afford more headroom, especially with a VEGA 64 I don't see why not. Its only probably around $50 (to estimate I'm not up to date on pricing) difference at most really. 

Well, you dont need the headroom, and OP is clearly working on a budget. 

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

If you say how you interpret those problems, maybe we will be able to correct some misconceptions.

No, i think ive got a fairly ok overview on those. Tho you saying a crap PSU can damage components over time (not a failed PSU) would be a PSU being incapable to of delivering the correct voltage. While not wrong, it gives the wrong idea of worse PSUs. A bad/failed PSU os way more likely to outright fail and perhaps kill hardware. Tho thats in more excessive scenarios. 

Just now, Pesky Ngon said:

just wondering, lets say hypothetically the vega 64 drew more than the PSUs 550w. what would happen? safe crash or dead components? 

From the TXM i listed. It will handle a short burst above its rated power. But once its reaches a level the PSU cant handle. OCP/OPP will kick in and shut the system down. 

4 minutes ago, floofer said:

dude, im a broke 18yo who does art for a living, 50$ is a lot to me :'D   

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

From the TXM i listed. It will handle a short burst above its rated power. But once its reaches a level the PSU cant handle. OCP/OPP will kick in and shut the system down. 

that's great, thanks.

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

What?

That is the first time ive ever heard of such bull.

Yet you've been here for over two years and have over 12K posts?

Fascinating.  Truly fascinating.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Yet you've been here for over two years and have over 12K posts?

Fascinating.  Truly fascinating.

Well. Doesnt mean i havent heard of worse. 

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

No, i think ive got a fairly ok overview on those. Tho you saying a crap PSU can damage components over time (not a failed PSU) would be a PSU being incapable to of delivering the correct voltage. While not wrong, it gives the wrong idea of worse PSUs. A bad/failed PSU os way more likely to outright fail and perhaps kill hardware. Tho thats in more excessive scenarios. 

That's not what he said.

A cheap, but still "functioning" PSU may not only not provide correct voltages requiring the VRMs on the motherboard, graphics card, etc. to work harder to regulate those voltages to what is needed, high AC ripple passed from the PSU to the components also needs to be filtered, so they're filtered at the motherboard, graphics cards, etc.

MOST of the time when I see burned out VRMs, it's because of bad power.  MOST of the time when I see swollen caps on a motherboard, it's because of bad power.

And then you have the scenario you're thinking of....  A bad PSU that suddenly died and takes out the rest of the PC with it.  That's a whole different box of cookies.

19 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

A cheap, but still "functioning" PSU may not only not provide correct voltages requiring the VRMs on the motherboard, graphics card, etc. to work harder to regulate those voltages to what is needed, high AC ripple passed from the PSU to the components also needs to be filtered, so they're filtered at the motherboard, graphics cards, etc.

MOST of the time when I see burned out VRMs, it's because of bad power.  MOST of the time when I see swollen caps on a motherboard, it's because of bad power.

Ah, i suspected that, tho i thought it was rather unlikely as it would need to be a very bad unit for something like that to occur. Didnt know that was a more "widespread" issue. Good to know. 

I was very much misstaken from the get-go.