Need Camera for Photography Class

Shreyas1
Go to solution Solved by Zodiark1593,
51 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Thanks. I'll probably go with the T2i, but I also found this camera on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747TKQQZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AAD6EQ1KLLEB6&psc=1

it says in another website that this camera also supports raw, do you know if it's good or not?

Probably wouldn't go for the Lumix. The senslr size on that camera is quite small at 1/2.3". This is compared to the RX100 with a considerably larger 1" form factor sensor, and the T2i's APS-C sensor, which is even larger than that.

A larger sensor (technology being equal) achieves reduced noise in your image, and jmproved dynamic range. This allows you to run the ISO higher before the image degrades significantly. On the flip side however, it makes it more difficult to achieve lots of zoom. The Lumix is a specialty superzoom camera, taking the compromise in sensor size to achieve a far reach.

The Lumix camera also features a slower lens than the rx100 (3.3-6.4 vs 1.8-4.9) You'll probably learn this in class that a lower F-number denotes a faster setting, and the math behind it. At the widest focal lengths however, this means the RX100 is nearly two stops faster than the Lumix, (or 3.2x as much light can enter). In low light conditions, this can prove useful.

The kit lens for the T2i probably won't be particularly fast either, though the lens can be changed out as you learn, and you can also safely run the ISO a bit higher if necessary. Additionally, the hot shoe allows easy use of flashes. Having control of lighting is an extremely valuable thing. ;)

Hello, I need a camera for a photography class. The requirements are that it has to be manual and it has to shoot pictures in the raw format. I would like it if it costed 200 usd or less, but so far I have had no luck finding something like that. Does anyone know if a camera like this exists? Thanks 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Check out Adorama or B&H for some used gear. Low end SLRs like the Canon Rebel T2i can be had for quite cheap. If you want smaller that fits your budget, you can also go with the Sony RX100 (the original or MKII). While small, the RX100 series are very much  "pro" cameras as well, featuring manual controls, good image quality and the capability to shoot in Raw.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Check out Adorama or B&H for some used gear. Low end SLRs like the Canon Rebel T2i can be had for quite cheap. If you want smaller that fits your budget, you can also go with the Sony RX100 (the original or MKII). While small, the RX100 series are very much  "pro" cameras as well, featuring manual controls, good image quality and the capability to shoot in Raw.

Thanks. I'll probably go with the T2i, but I also found this camera on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747TKQQZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AAD6EQ1KLLEB6&psc=1

it says in another website that this camera also supports raw, do you know if it's good or not?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

51 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Probably wouldn't go for the Lumix. The senslr size on that camera is quite small at 1/2.3". This is compared to the RX100 with a considerably larger 1" form factor sensor, and the T2i's APS-C sensor, which is even larger than that.

A larger sensor (technology being equal) achieves reduced noise in your image, and jmproved dynamic range. This allows you to run the ISO higher before the image degrades significantly. On the flip side however, it makes it more difficult to achieve lots of zoom. The Lumix is a specialty superzoom camera, taking the compromise in sensor size to achieve a far reach.

The Lumix camera also features a slower lens than the rx100 (3.3-6.4 vs 1.8-4.9) You'll probably learn this in class that a lower F-number denotes a faster setting, and the math behind it. At the widest focal lengths however, this means the RX100 is nearly two stops faster than the Lumix, (or 3.2x as much light can enter). In low light conditions, this can prove useful.

The kit lens for the T2i probably won't be particularly fast either, though the lens can be changed out as you learn, and you can also safely run the ISO a bit higher if necessary. Additionally, the hot shoe allows easy use of flashes. Having control of lighting is an extremely valuable thing. ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Thanks!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler