Swapping to red team, need help

Hahny

Hello everyone,

I hope to purchase the Ryzen 7 3700x and a new motherboard soon, although I need help. 

I currently run the Intel i5-7500 on the MSI Z270 Mortar motherboard and was wondering if I need to reset my windows and the whole system itself and start fresh after installing?

I’ve also been told that because Windows 10 is smart and is generally pretty good with compatibility and hardware changes that if I just swap the parts and relaunch it should function as normal.

Am I okay to do this or is there any other alternatives?

Thank you!

Yes you should be able to swap boards/CPUs without needing to reinstall and then install the chipset drivers and whatever other drivers you need.

I personally reinstall Windows in an event like this out of habit (and preferring to do so), but it isn't necessary anymore.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

You should do a clean install when changing motherboards.

Or sooner or later you'll run into issues, if you even get it to boot in the first place.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's a great opportunity to do a reinstall, can avoid issues and gets you a clean slate. You don't HAVE too but it's good practice to do it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As others said, reinstall is always the best way even when Win10 is indeed pretty smart. But prepare to reactivate your Windows, activation is usually tied to your motherboard but depending on your license you may be able to use it on a new system as well.

3700X | NH-D15 | X470-F | 2x16GB @3200MHz | RTX 2060 Ventus OC

RM650x | Fractal Design R4 | NVMe 970 EVO Plus 512GB | SATA 850 EVO 512GB

<Build Log>

Well, if you prefer not to re-install Windows, you might need to do this thing:

Disable and uninstall all the irrelevant drivers.

I remember when I boot up my Windows (from another PC), I have this problem. Have to boot into safe mode (And for Windows 10, it means unplug your PC while Windows boots up a few times, until you see "Preparing for Diagnostic"), uninstall all the drivers, then boot normally.

Also, because you are switching from Intel to AMD, some of the motherboard component (Such as PCI Bus, Intel PCIE Root Complex in device manager) may cause your USB not recognised (to some extent including SATA Drives). You should uninstall or roll back the drivers to Windows Basic Drivers for many of the components.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.